Autism assistance

wildbriz

Hi

I'm new to the forum, and what a great forum it is.

Please can anyone let me know if the level of classroom assistance for autistic children has improved in the last few years?

We lived in Brisbane with three children all born in Brisbane. One is autistic (high functioning) and could only recieve 20 minutes a day (the maximum we were told) of one on one help when he was included in the mainstream classroom. In the end we had to drag him to school because he was so unhappy. We looked at other schools and other states but could not find a more prommissing option than returning to the UK.

He now gets 3 hours one on one a day and is doing tremendously.

But we do miss Australia and the more possitive things it has to offer.

We would like to return someday.

If anyone has information on this please let us know as this is particularly difficult information to gather and there's nothing better than personal experiences.

Cheers

wildbriz

Guest The.Colebecks
Hi

I'm new to the forum, and what a great forum it is.

Please can anyone let me know if the level of classroom assistance for autistic children has improved in the last few years?

We lived in Brisbane with three children all born in Brisbane. One is autistic (high functioning) and could only recieve 20 minutes a day (the maximum we were told) of one on one help when he was included in the mainstream classroom. In the end we had to drag him to school because he was so unhappy. We looked at other schools and other states but could not find a more prommissing option than returning to the UK.

He now gets 3 hours one on one a day and is doing tremendously.

But we do miss Australia and the more possitive things it has to offer.

We would like to return someday.

If anyone has information on this please let us know as this is particularly difficult information to gather and there's nothing better than personal experiences.

Cheers

wildbriz

Hi There,

As a special needs teacher I have been looking into inclusion within schools in Aus with a hope to contining work in this sector.

From what I can gather they are very much behind the UK's inclusion policy and Aus is still pro schools which cater entirely for children with specific needs.

I have come across this website http://www.activ.asn.au/parentportal/syndromes_conditions.cfm?level=third_level&mode=view_cm&synd_cond=autism&synd_cond_name=Autism which covers most syndroms/conditions. There are several areas to the site such as links for other websites and chat forums.

Hope that something on this link can help answer your questions.

Hugs Karen x

• 2 years later...
Guest shahid khan

Hi, I am new to this group and my daughter 6.6 has Autism (dsm iv tr 299.0) and she attend school with an aid back home, i like to know is there any private schools which cater Autistic children and have special unites and how much do they cost.

Cheers

Shahid Khan

Hi, I am new to this group and my daughter 6.6 has Autism (dsm iv tr 299.0) and she attend school with an aid back home, i like to know is there any private schools which cater Autistic children and have special unites and how much do they cost.

Cheers

Shahid Khan

Do you have a visa? The reason I ask is that there are medical requirements which sometimes make it difficult for families with children with autism to get a visa.

Australia does have disability support provisions - they vary from state to state though and most are dependent upon the needs of the child. It can be a very small amount of aide time though.

Most schools for children with special needs are government schools and so if you have a permanent visa then it will cost you nothing.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Vanessa Browne

Kingsdene Parent Group Media Release 23 November, 2009

Convoy to Canberra - It’s all about the future -but what about today and the immediate tomorrow

Kingsdene parents and students appeal to the Rudd government to save Kingsdene Special School from closure because, not only is it the good thing to do, it’s the right thing to do.

Bernadette Moloney chair of the Kingsdene Parent Group said: “Kingsdene parents and their severely disabled children will today travel to Canberra appealing to the Rudd Government to save their small charity-operated school from closure. “

“As we make that journey it is expected the government will announce the commissioning of a feasibility study into the possibility of a National Disability Insurance Scheme. An excellent idea well supported by the Australian community. Such a scheme coming to fruition is a long way “into the future” continues Ms Moloney

Vanessa Browne another parent representative says: “But, what about the today and immediate tomorrow of our severely disabled children and all those other severely disabled children who need Kingsdene Special School to remain open “into their future”?

The convoluted and unfair funding of students with disabilities in small charity-operated schools is a throw-back to the time when government deemed all children with disabilities could not be educated. The survival of Kingsdene Special School, in Western Sydney is a potent David and Goliath symbol and the Rudd government has certainly done much that is symbolic.

Kingsdene Special School is a weekly boarding school for severely and profoundly intellectually disabled students. Its extended learning program is what makes it unique and does not neatly fit the funding formula applied to other private schools.

“ Government spokespeople say Kingsdene students are funded to the maximum but do not deny the fact that Kingsdene students are not funded at the same level as a similarly disabled student in a government school. “ said Vanessa Browne

Kingsdene singularly brings diversity across education models and sectors for students with severe and profound disabilities. Kingsdene students gain skills and knowledge in a program unparalleled in the country with brilliant outcomes, transparency and accountability” continues Ms Browne

“All our kids need is a chance to be the best they can be. Is it too much to ask our government to step in and do the right thing here?” said Bernadette Moloney.

“By saving Kingsdene the Rudd government can nail its colours to the mast both in education reform, inject some humanity into the education revolution funding model and move the focus of spending should be on the students who will grow with support rather than buildings that decay with time. All students irrespective of their ability should be given the best chance to maximise whatever potential they have. Saving Kingsdene would give the federal government legitimacy in claiming the moral ground unclaimed by every government for the past forty years.

Contact: Bernadette Moloney 0409 200 660 and Vanessa Browne 0403 752 111

Archived