Petals

An Aussie Brit's observations

Having read so many posts about people's reasons for moving and expectations thought I would list a few that may be unexpected.

Our supermarkets are nothing like the UK ones prepared food is not big in Australia.

Grog is not sold in the supermarkets, separate due to our liquor laws.

Food is expensive now no European economic subsidies keeping prices down here. We do not subsidise anything except private health which makes me mad.

Second hand cars hold their price here especially smaller more economical ones and cars do not rust so there are lots of very old cars around. In fact we got rid of a couple we had had for over 20 years. My brother has a Subaru he bought in the seventies and it still runs.

We buy new cars and run them in the ground most economical way with cars.

If you are a in the building trade you will probably end up as a sub contractor and need an ABN. This means that you employ yourself and therefore need to take out insurance for yourself.

Doctors have lists and in newer areas sometimes its hard to get on a list. We pick our own GPS.

Medicines are paid for here $32.00 average prescription.

Average doctors appointment $60.00 if they do not bulk bill and you get some of it back from medicare.

School books pens etc all have to be paid for in state schools plus they have some fees they like you to pay

Kindergarten is not free and depending where you live can be hard to get a place with our rising birth rate.

People pass on the inside on the freeway. Tailgating is a problem.

Cats have to be registered in Victoria like Dogs.

Bicycle helmets are law

ADSL may not be available in some new areas and you should check before you rent or buy.

Phones and internet are more expensive.

You will not be able to donate blood

Water restrictions in force in Victoria

Houses are not double glazed and some older ones may not have any insulation need to check.

There is more when it comes to me I will post.:smile:

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest Aldo

Nice post, accurate and to the point. Only thing I would have added was the different pub culture.

Thanks for the thread, great info...I must admit I find myself going 'good' to a few of the things you listed :yes:

For example:

Pre-packaged food is so unhealthy anyway

I hate big supermarkets, you end up spending too mch anyway!

I like the idea of seperate shops for things, i'd love to get beers/spirits from 'grog shop' & fruit from fruit shop etc

A GREAT LAW....Bicycle helmets, something the Uk should do (then no-one would feel 'silly' as everyone would HAVE to wear them)

Ok...all the extras that we'll have to pay for isnt so 'good' but hey, thats life!

Kelly :smile:

Guest Angelcake

Hi

Can I ask why we won't be able to donate blood?

Thanks

Angelcake

Agree Aldo about the pubs and also the Aussie barbie scene, Dad and the boys cooking Mum and the girls in the ktichen running around after the children and the guys.

Does not happen at our house :no:

No blood donations because of mad cow disease, paranoia reigns.

Petals

Guest Aldo
Thanks for the thread, great info...I must admit I find myself going 'good' to a few of the things you listed

For example:

I like the idea of seperate shops for things, i'd love to get beers/spirits from 'grog shop' & fruit from fruit shop etc

A GREAT LAW....Bicycle helmets, something the Uk should do (then no-one would feel 'silly' as everyone would HAVE to wear them)

Ok...all the extras that we'll have to pay for isnt so 'good' but hey, thats life!

Pre packaged food?? Is everyone leaving the UK to get away from prepackaged food? When I get back will i see aisle after aisle of pre packed food and no fresh produce?

Are all the off licences, green grocers, farm shops, butchers closed?

Funny how drive through bottle shops are applauded by poms here for their convenience but i bet if they where in the UK they would be criticised. I remember one opening in New Cross, SE London and it was a disaster. Brits are connoisseurs of booze and like to browse before making a choice.

Helmets good.

:yes:

Great post!

From my personal view....

I sit with a confused face sometimes when people say a better life..... without being rude I think it can sometimes be a little naive. There are some very good things here, but there are other things I personally prefer in the UK. Be prepared so your not disappointed!

Where I live there are more Private schools than government funded. My local government schools have thousands of pupils. The schools I know of, the pupils eat their lunch in their class room, packed lunch only except on Fridays when they can order junk off a menu, still eaten in class room. Too many pupils for a lunch hall. Government run primary schools are more available, but government secondary schools are far between.

If you get your choice of kindergarten then that's good, but don't expect it, you may have to travel further than you wanted to get your child in one.

Private medical insurance is more commonly used than UK

Obesity is a problem here as much as UK

Dentists are not government funded, so not everyone has check ups, a lot don't go to the dentist unless they have to.

Victoria see's 4 seasons in one day. It gets cold in the winter, and very hot in the summer. Spring and Autumn are lovely for me!

Victoria is a multi cultural city. Hearing foreign languages is normal, took me a while to get used to this.

Aldi nappies are the best!

Drugs, theft, burglary, murders, rape, drink driving - all the bad things that happen in the UK, guess what? - They happen here too!!!

When parking, your car is only allowed to be parked facing the correct flow of traffic.

In Victoria we have some 'Hook turns', this is a strange way to turn right from the extreme left lane! Scary at 1st, but ok once mastered!

In Victoria (not sure on rest of states) cars do not have MOT's, they are driven until they die! So you are never assured the car in front, behind or one your a passenger in is actually road worthy! A road worthy certificate is only needed when you are selling your car - & thats not as thorough as a UK MOT!

'Hooning' is a problem. This is young adults doing wheel spins round and around on the streets to leave black circles on the road and leave smoke. They do it different times of day and night when least expected. Before you can get your camera they have usually gone! Government is doing their best to stop this, but they still do it.

Clothes are no cheaper than UK. Maybe the famous AU surf brands are cheaper, but not much. In general its the same.

Its common that gardens are not as well maintained as in the UK

People leave junk and items they don't want anymore on their grass (nature strip) outside their home, either for anyone to take if they want it, or organize it being collected. Shocked me at 1st.

A lot of houses have whats called a 'Nature Strip' outside their home, this is an area of grass thats owned by the government, but what you need to maintain. You don't get paid for it! Its just expected as its outside your home!!!

Post is left in a post box (not through your door) at the gated entrance to your property. I personally don't like this and find it a danger if the post man doesn't push it in fully! But its done over here, the postman whizzes past on his moped and his round is done pretty quickly.

There are many many different things to get used to! It would be ideal if we could pick and choose from each country what we like or don't like and mix them together hey!!!

"If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you'll never enjoy the sunshine"

Agree with previous poster however depends where you live and what the demographic of the population is for the area as to the availability of kinder places and school sizes. Where I live we have a lot of high schools both private and State. Its an older established area on the Peinsula so schools have been in place for a long time.

However its very important to check on schooling, transport etc before deciding where to live. Costs of public transport can be a lot if you live on the fringe of the city.

I hate the summer in Melbourne and also like Spring and Autumn.

As soon as the first day of summer arrives, no dogs on the beach during the daylight hours and also no burning off fires anywhere due to fire restrictions. We are now allowed to use gas barbecues on days of total fire ban, did not used to be able to.:v_SPIN:

Another thing to consider when buying a house if you love the gum trees and the heavy vegetation they are not your friend in the fire season.

I remember the 83 bush fires when the Dandenongs were burnt and it was like a lunar landscape afterwards. They were supposed to put in place all sorts of precautions so it would not happen again but 25 years on people have forgotten and they grow things right up to the house and forget to clean the gutters, have no roof sprinklers in place.

Most native plants rely on bush fire to grow their seeds.

Petals

We have MOT here in NSW, you have to have the car tested before you can register it each year.

Guest Guest9973
Hi

Can I ask why we won't be able to donate blood?

Thanks

Angelcake

It is due to the Mad Cow disease in the UK.

If you have lived in the UK for a while since 1985 you are just not allowed.

It annoys me as I was a regular donor of a fairly rare sort in the UK.

But you can opt to donate your organs on your drivers license!

Guest Guest9973
We have MOT here in NSW, you have to have the car tested before you can register it each year.

No MOT or anything here in South Australia.

You can be stopped and have a defect test by the cops though.

They often have little "traps" set up.

Post is left in a post box (not through your door) at the gated entrance to your property. I personally don't like this and find it a danger if the post man doesn't push it in fully! But its done over here, the postman whizzes past on his moped and his round is done pretty quickly.

Does that mean we get our post before 3pm in the afternoon?

It would sure make a nice change! :shocked:

Guest __TJ__

asbestos in older houses as well, we have been warned.

have read this thread with interest because when people ask me why i want to go - i dont say " better life" or any of the other guff, we are going on an adventure. we either like it or we dont. i think you need a bit of adventure in your life every now and then.

Things in Aus have changed considerably in the last few years. A few years ago you used to have salad bars in the pub for pub meals and salad bars in the supermarkets so you could select salads and fill the containers yourself. They had sneeze covers over them. However now our new laws make that impossible as contamination and fridge temp is the name of the game so they are not allowed anymore. I must agree though I never bought them as children stick their fingers in them and people sneeze all over them so it was a good change in my view.

Food has to be kept at correct temperature here.

Sausages are checked to see that the ingredients are right, there has to be certain amount of bread to certain amount of meat.

As we live in a warm climate food can easily become contaminated and therefore its important for the laws to be enforced.

Petals

Thanks for the thread, great info...I must admit I find myself going 'good' to a few of the things you listed :yes:

For example:

Only 2 supermarkets Coles and Woolies and they are up each other so no competition thats another facror in the high price of shopping

Here at last:jiggy:

SUFC life not a pastime

I limit myself to 2 drinks a day, I`m now 10 years in front make that 15

Things in Aus have changed considerably in the last few years. A few years ago you used to have salad bars in the pub for pub meals and salad bars in the supermarkets so you could select salads and fill the containers yourself. They had sneeze covers over them. However now our new laws make that impossible as contamination and fridge temp is the name of the game so they are not allowed anymore. I must agree though I never bought them as children stick their fingers in them and people sneeze all over them so it was a good change in my view.

Food has to be kept at correct temperature here.

Sausages are checked to see that the ingredients are right, there has to be certain amount of bread to certain amount of meat.

Its the same in the uk usuallly a loaf of bread per sausage with ascrap of meat

As we live in a warm climate food can easily become contaminated and therefore its important for the laws to be enforced

SUFC life not a pastime

Guest Aldo

Its the same in the uk usuallly a loaf of bread per sausage with ascrap of meat

you must be the only pom on earth that favours the aussie snag over the British banger, even the aussie ladies prefer english sausage

sorry

Guest tiff
It is due to the Mad Cow disease in the UK.

Blimey from what I have seen, a bit of mad cows may improve the gene pool.:goofy:

Guest Emmap
Blimy from what I have seen, a bit of mad cows may improve the gene pool.:goofy:

HAHAHAHAHA, i work in Oxford street,Sydney and that entire street needs to be soaked in the infected cow blood......hahha

Guest Guest9973
Blimey from what I have seen, a bit of mad cows may improve the gene pool.:goofy:

:biglaugh:

I was asked once during a medical for giving white blood if there had been any incidence of Mad Cow disease in my family.

I replied "Well my Mum's a bit daft"

The nurse did not seem too amused at that.

The reason they call it PMS is because Mad Cows disease was already invented

Mally

SUFC life not a pastime

Guest Emjaydee

I guess if you come here for the outdoor lifestyle this won't matter too much..... But I've got to say it.... how bad is free to air TV?! There's nothing worth watching! Thank Heavens for Austar.

Guest itskaren
Great post!

From my personal view....

I sit with a confused face sometimes when people say a better life..... without being rude I think it can sometimes be a little naive. There are some very good things here, but there are other things I personally prefer in the UK. Be prepared so your not disappointed!

Where I live there are more Private schools than government funded. My local government schools have thousands of pupils. The schools I know of, the pupils eat their lunch in their class room, packed lunch only except on Fridays when they can order junk off a menu, still eaten in class room. Too many pupils for a lunch hall. Government run primary schools are more available, but government secondary schools are far between.

If you get your choice of kindergarten then that's good, but don't expect it, you may have to travel further than you wanted to get your child in one.

Private medical insurance is more commonly used than UK

Obesity is a problem here as much as UK

Dentists are not government funded, so not everyone has check ups, a lot don't go to the dentist unless they have to.

Victoria see's 4 seasons in one day. It gets cold in the winter, and very hot in the summer. Spring and Autumn are lovely for me!

Victoria is a multi cultural city. Hearing foreign languages is normal, took me a while to get used to this.

Aldi nappies are the best!

Drugs, theft, burglary, murders, rape, drink driving - all the bad things that happen in the UK, guess what? - They happen here too!!!

When parking, your car is only allowed to be parked facing the correct flow of traffic.

In Victoria we have some 'Hook turns', this is a strange way to turn right from the extreme left lane! Scary at 1st, but ok once mastered!

In Victoria (not sure on rest of states) cars do not have MOT's, they are driven until they die! So you are never assured the car in front, behind or one your a passenger in is actually road worthy! A road worthy certificate is only needed when you are selling your car - & thats not as thorough as a UK MOT!

'Hooning' is a problem. This is young adults doing wheel spins round and around on the streets to leave black circles on the road and leave smoke. They do it different times of day and night when least expected. Before you can get your camera they have usually gone! Government is doing their best to stop this, but they still do it.

Clothes are no cheaper than UK. Maybe the famous AU surf brands are cheaper, but not much. In general its the same.

Its common that gardens are not as well maintained as in the UK

People leave junk and items they don't want anymore on their grass (nature strip) outside their home, either for anyone to take if they want it, or organize it being collected. Shocked me at 1st.

A lot of houses have whats called a 'Nature Strip' outside their home, this is an area of grass thats owned by the government, but what you need to maintain. You don't get paid for it! Its just expected as its outside your home!!!

There are many many different things to get used to! It would be ideal if we could pick and choose from each country what we like or don't like and mix them together hey!!!

Here! Here!

I made a 'hook turn' 6 months ago in Melbourne. I am still recovering!!!

\

My children go to a private school and I cannot get used to the fact that they are not really supervised whilst having lunch. They frequently come home with uneaten packed lunches which drives me mad.:skeptical: