Guest TheMagees

14 year old halfway through GCSEs , should we stay until finished???

Guest TheMagees

We have now been granted our visa and are heading to Brisbane, as it took longer than we expected our 14 year old son has now started his GCSEs and as you can imagine is reluctant to start all over again.

Has anyone else emigrated in the middle of the kids GCSEs? Which year would he go into in australia , hes currently in year 10 here.

Also when does the school year start in Australia?

We are now wondering whether to just validate our visas and stay here another year and a half until he finishes, but I think it would be even harder for him to leave then.

I would be grateful if anyone has been through the same problem and if their teenager likes the australian school system and is still talking to them!!!!

Many Thanks

Julie

aaaah the joys of teenagers :)

Guest kdal

Hi Julie, My son is in year 10 here in England and we are taking him out of school and he will start year 10 in Australia in January (thats when there school year starts). If you are not planning on returning to the UK then your son not taking his GCSE will not matter. If you go in the future your sons GCSE's will not mean anything in Australia.

I have spoken to some schools and apparently year 10 is a good year to start in! I have another son whose just finished school (was year 11) just got his gcse results but the move will be worse from him as he will probably repeat the whole of year 11 there.

Good luck and let us know what you decide

Guest WARDStoOZ
We have now been granted our visa and are heading to Brisbane, as it took longer than we expected our 14 year old son has now started his GCSEs and as you can imagine is reluctant to start all over again.

Has anyone else emigrated in the middle of the kids GCSEs? Which year would he go into in australia , hes currently in year 10 here.

Also when does the school year start in Australia?

We are now wondering whether to just validate our visas and stay here another year and a half until he finishes, but I think it would be even harder for him to leave then.

I would be grateful if anyone has been through the same problem and if their teenager likes the australian school system and is still talking to them!!!!

Many Thanks

Julie

aaaah the joys of teenagers :)

Hi!

I know a family who just emigrated to the Gold Coast in October. Their youngest son had just finished year 10 here in England and so was slap bang in the middle of his GCSEs when they left. They said that if you wait around something may crop up that prevents you from going at all and besides, from what I heard GCSEs aren't important in Australia - they don't think much of them (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) so I think you should definitely move, as he has only just started his GCSEs.

Good Luck in whatever you decide and I hope that's helped you all in your decision...!!!

Regards,

Dan x

I agree with Kdal, my daughter is 14 and started Year 10 in September, she was worried about it all too but we are moving to Sydney now in January 09 in time for her to start Year 10, which apparently is a good time for them to start. Maybe you should get your son on PIO as my daughter has her own profile and chats to others her age, it may put his mind at rest.

Good Luck xx

Zoe, Nat, Becci, James Dec 07 Business Sponsorship Lodged Apr 08 NSW Sponsorship Aug 08 Visa (163) Lodged 22nd Dec 08 Visa here, fly 12th Jan 2009

, Been here over 2 years and loving every minute of it!

As the others have said, GCSEs are essentially irrelevant here. What is important here are the final results of year 12 because they are what gives you the score (or not) to go to uni. And if you arent academic, your year 12 certificate is usually the thing that employers ask for. Of course some kids leave at the end of year 10 but employment is hard to find with just that level of education.

It all depends on which state you would be going to and when his birthday is as to what year he would enrol in. Kids who are 14 and beginning to turn 15 this year are generally in year 9 this year (gross generalization and it varies across states). So that means that kids who are 16 or about to turn 16 would usually be starting year 11 in the January.

Dont think of it as repeating or starting again because it is nothing like that at all, the two systems are quite different and all he will be doing is joining school with his age cohort.

If there is no likelihood that you will return to UK then you can pull him out of GCSEs without any repercussions. If there is even a slim chance that he will want to study, work, live in UK later on then perhaps he should finish them.

Guest ToPerth

Hiya,

As someone doing their GCSE's this year on personal experiences i would say not to wait. Our moving times mean that once everything was decided to move i too had started my GCSE's knowing that i would have finished them before we moved, this made it harder.

Now that i have done GCSE's, i want to stay for A levels to carry on the pattern then once you have finished A levels you think i may as well try for a British Uni. Staying for GCSE makes the move harder so get out of there as soon as you can.

One of my other friends moving to Australia has now had to move back to year 10 over there and is not happy about it.

Guest becci14

Hi,

Im becci (zoeburrell's daughter), we're moving in january (2009) and i think now is the best time to do it :) because i am currently in year 10, so when we get there i will be starting in year 10 again (if that makes sense). This means that i will start their GCSE equivilent (HSC i think) with all of them and i wont miss the begining of them :D. But if your not looking to move for a whike then thats not too much of a problem either, and i have a friend who's family is maybe looking into moving by the start of next year (january 2010), and they think its still an amazing oppertunity which shouldnt be missed.

hope this helps a bit :D

xx

becci :)

Guest prettyinpink

We arrived in Sept and enrolled my eldest into senior school for the start of term 4. He was 15 in Oct and about to start Year 10 back in the UK. He's in Year 10 already in Senior school but doesn't leave senior school til the end of Year 12 here.

He is enjoying it, the choice of subjects is far more varied than at his old school and he's not had any trouble fitting in to the new school system.

He is on the forum too, his username is reptile buddy, I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions.

Guest TheMagees

Thanks for the advice, its invaluable to hear from people who have been through or going to go through the same thing.

Ideally I think we needed to get out there by January so he could start beginning of the school year, but due to commitments that aint gonna happen (and we are not going to have sold the house be then!!)

But we have now taken the plunge and booked the whole family out on flights in February to have a rekkie. I ll let everyone know how I get on and info on different areas.

We are hoping to go to Brisbane so want to look round the different suburbs there.

We fly to Sydney have 4 days there and then drive from sydney to Brisbane staying at different places along the way and will hopefully have a week in Brisbane to have a good mooch around and get a feel for the place.

If the feel is what we hope it will be, then we will just stick the house up for rent and get over there.

Thanks again everyone, Im sure I will be on again soon with another dilema!!!

Oooh Im getting excited now. Cant wait to see Sydney and Brisbane.

Cheers

Julie

Guest pandj6224

Hi like most people, we have looked into this as we have 5 children, 2 in secondary school years 9 & 10, the one in year 10 has already started Gcse Science, it would appear that the UK Gcse, isn't worth anything in Australia !! to wait or not to wait, that really is the question, our oldest one is 18 and has all his, but looks as if he might have to go to TAFE (College) part time, to get a recognised education certificate, he wasn't impressed by that at all !!!

Pat

Guest brooksey

we came over 8 weeks ago with our 14 yr old james . Just right time as he has had 2-3 months of year 9 making friends and getting used to schools before starting year 10 in feb. It was hard for him to leave his friends but he is fast making new ones. We feel if we had left it longer it would have been easier for us(family probs) but harder for James so here we are. Pm us if you need info or if you want your son to talk to James.

Guest Angela Barker

Thank you.....we have a son who his 14years old and we thought about waiting for him to do his GCSE. After alot of soul searching we decided to apply to Oz . Thanks again for lowering my stress levels.

Guest dawnlouise09

This has been interesting reading. I am about to start the process of emigration. I have twin boys whom, if things go to plan will be in Aussie ready to start year 10, however my daughter will be nearer the end of her A levels and will follow us on when she finishes. What concerns me is will she have any chance in being accepted into university over there if she gets her grades or will all her hard work stand for nothing?:err:

Guest TheStyrings

It is worrying wondering wether you're doing the right thing regarding your kids education but I think that you just have to bite the bullet and deal with the situation, if, or when it arrises. Sometimes there's never a right or wrong time to do something ( a bit like when you decide to actually start a family for example) you have to make the decision that is right at the time and not look back.

We are taking our eldest out of the end of year 10 in May this year, and he was due to do 2 GCSE exams but it has taken us longer than expected and we would have liked to have moved earlier but it didnt happen. He will be in year 10 til the end of Dec and then will move into year 11 in Feb '10.

If our future lies in oz then I think that the best thing is for him to get oz qualifications.

By the way dawnlouise09 - my name is Dawn and my OH is Mark AND I also have twins (girls aged 8) - bit spooky!!!

Dawn x x x

This has been interesting reading. I am about to start the process of emigration. I have twin boys whom, if things go to plan will be in Aussie ready to start year 10, however my daughter will be nearer the end of her A levels and will follow us on when she finishes. What concerns me is will she have any chance in being accepted into university over there if she gets her grades or will all her hard work stand for nothing?:err:

Her A levels will be a huge advantage to her. Ask the university she wants to go to for an equivalence and she may find that she actually needs lower grades to get into courses here than she would have needed to get into the same courses in UK. You are doing absolutely the right thing there, do not worry!