Guest Nige&Andrea

No furniture for weeks!? Temporary accomodation north Brisbane?

Guest Nige&Andrea

Hi all,

We are relatively new to posting threads but we need some advice if poss? We are hopefully close to getting our visa, fingers crossed!!

Firstly, how do families cope without their furniture for 6-10 weeks? As far as we can tell, most families seem to arrive in Oz and stay in holiday accommodation for a couple of weeks while they find a rental house? So what do they sleep on etc? Sorry if this sounds a bit thick and the answer is obvious?

We are heading for Brisbane in January 2009, visa permitting, can anyone suggest any reasonably priced temporary/holiday accomodation in North Brisbane? Just needs to be clean and comfortable!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Andrea x:jiggy:

Hi Andrea,

my hubby and i were discussing this today, do we send our stuff out first and rough it here for six weeks or send it when we leave and rough it there for 6 weeks or do half and half, so we decided to sell it all any buy new when we get there. dont know anything about the rental i'm afraid. the relocation package we get gives us accommodation for the first 4 weeks so have a little leeway. try googling the estate agents just before you leave and get something cheap and cheerful on a short lease. at least that way you can have a good look around and not be tied to anything for too long.

good luck

lynne

Guest Nige&Andrea
Hi Andrea,

my hubby and i were discussing this today, do we send our stuff out first and rough it here for six weeks or send it when we leave and rough it there for 6 weeks or do half and half, so we decided to sell it all any buy new when we get there. dont know anything about the rental i'm afraid. the relocation package we get gives us accommodation for the first 4 weeks so have a little leeway. try googling the estate agents just before you leave and get something cheap and cheerful on a short lease. at least that way you can have a good look around and not be tied to anything for too long.

good luck

lynne

Hi Lynne,

I think that you're right, a short lease would be good! Many thanks for your thoughts! Where are you headed?

Andrea x

Hi Andrea

We are headed for Brisbane too, been looking at the Manly/Wynnum area but nothing decided just yet, hope to be there by next June/July time all being well with ANMC registration etc. Waiting up till 11pm so I can call them for some advice. I dont have my origional registration documents so not sure what to send them.

How about you, what do you do?. When are you planning to go. Nosy arn't I

Lynne

Guest Nige&Andrea

Hi Lynne,

We are hoping to go in January, visa permitting! We have just had our medicals and this was hopefully the last piece in the puzzle, fingers crossed!

I am a midwife and hubby is nurse also, we are looking to live somewhere in the northern suburbs. We both have job offers at the Mater.

Have to admit it's getting a bit scary now, but not enough to put us off, far from it!

Have you been for a look round Brisbane? Not sure what you can do about original registration docs, surely the NMC can provide evidence of original registration? We were ok with that as my OH keeps everything!

Andrea x

Hi Andrea,

I also have a job at the Mater, my sister is a midwife and has a job there too. We were both offerred the jobs last week after visiting the london expo. I qualified in 1997 and have moved house so many times since that things just go missing, though I dont ever remember getting anything other than my ENB certificate, I know I didnt get a record of course content. I have letters to say I passed each assignment I submitted but nothing else. How long did it take you for the whole process from start to finish.

We have never been to Australia before so it really is a leap in the dark but looking forward to the challenge. Coming down to earth with a bump now that the euphoria of getting the job has worn off and the reality of how much there is to do kicks in.

hope we can meet up with you when we get there.

Im south side so would be too far from where you want to be have you tried Karen at familyfriendlyhomes.com she as a few furnished houses around the city area. Good Luck

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest JoCG

Hi, just to let you know how we managed. We said goodbye to our furniture on the 26th of November last year and finally got it back on the 8th of February. We stayed in serviced apartments for 3 weeks till we found our rental property. We bought blow-up beds a couple of bar stools for the kitchen counter and headed to Ikea for cheap bed clothes, pots and pans, towels etc and we survived just fine! I was soo glad to get my own bed back and washing machine and it makes you appreciate what you have!! Also you will be amazed just how little you need to be comfortable! You can rent things like a tv, sofas from a place like radio rentals we didn't bother but heard many people do. Good luck with the moves, cheers Jo

Guest Nige&Andrea
Im south side so would be too far from where you want to be have you tried Karen at familyfriendlyhomes.com she as a few furnished houses around the city area. Good Luck

Cal x

Hi Cal,

Thanks for the contact, I will check out family friendly homes!

Andrea

Guest Nige&Andrea
Hi, just to let you know how we managed. We said goodbye to our furniture on the 26th of November last year and finally got it back on the 8th of February. We stayed in serviced apartments for 3 weeks till we found our rental property. We bought blow-up beds a couple of bar stools for the kitchen counter and headed to Ikea for cheap bed clothes, pots and pans, towels etc and we survived just fine! I was soo glad to get my own bed back and washing machine and it makes you appreciate what you have!! Also you will be amazed just how little you need to be comfortable! You can rent things like a tv, sofas from a place like radio rentals we didn't bother but heard many people do. Good luck with the moves, cheers Jo

Hi Jo,

Really appreciate the advice, thanks! It's really good to know that it can be done! I think that you imagine there are lots of things that you can't possibly do without when you have kids!

Has it all been worth it for you guys?

Cheers

Andrea x

Guest JoCG

Hi Andrea!

Has it been worth it? Oh yes! It's been worth every stress, hassle, sleepless night just to be here. We love it and are greatful every day for the opportunity to be here, of course the bonus is seeing how our 8 year old son has grown in confidence and embraced his new life. He didn't miss all his gadgets and toys while they were in transit, way too much space to explore outside! I hope that you find some temp. accomodation and your move goes smoothly, good luck and enjoy! Jo

Guest Soexcited!

:jiggy:

hi,do you mean there is an ikea in brisbane? thought there was only one in sidney. we'll be in brisbane end nov and if i can get to an ikea i'm happy !

Ikea in Brisbane is at the side on the pacific motorway ,you cant miss it . Fantastic Furniture is another place worth checking out ,they do some great starter packages ,have a look at their website.

Cal x

If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place...

If you get a chance,take it, If it changes your life,let it. Nobody said it would be easy they just said it would be worth it...

Guest magic

We can assist any families coming to Cleveland area (Bayside- Brisbane) with web sites and contact numbers of several recommended accommodations. They are all close to shops, Hospital, parkland, schools and nice eating outlets.

If we can help just shout:spinny:, only too happy to help.