Schools in Manly / Sydney

Guest sssazzzz

Guest sssazzzz

Hi,

We are moving out to Sydney in Jan for 6 months and hope to find a place to rent in the Manly area. We have two daughters (9 & 11) which means one will go to primary school, the other secondary.

Can anyone give us some tips on good primary and secondary schools in or around Manly - the main ones we have seen so far are Manly Public School and McKellar Girls School. Does anyone have any experience or knowledge of these schools or others in the area?

We understand that you can't register until to you have an address, so the choice of school (catchment) may influence where we look to live. Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

hi

We were out in Manly last May and looked at Schools, we were told schools like Manly Select (which has an amazing reputation) or any selective schools (like our Grammars) are only available to PR residents. I am sending my children (14 and 12) to Mater Maria Catholic College in Warriewood, they start at the end of January. They are not very strict with catchment areas so it will not cause you too much trouble (except travelling distance in the mornings!). Other than that I can't really say - Sorry. However there is a thread titled top websites which was posted recently and someone has put the website with the list of Australian Schools in all areas, so that maybe worth looking at?

Good Luck

Zoe xx

Guest sssazzzz

Hi Zoe

Thanks very much for info, found schools link helpful too. Stupid question but do you have to be catholic to attend a catholic school in oz? The school your kids are going to looks great, although we will probably need a school closer to the ferry terminal as my husband will be working in the CBD.

Thanks again

Sal x

Hi, just wanted to give you a website to help in your quest! Try www.det.nsw.edu.au and go to the School Locater heading. It will come up with the list of all the schools in the area and most will have their own website link you can click on. I'm not too sure about the whole catholic school requirement as I had heard that yes you need to be catholic and they expect you to attend the church it's attached to. Maybe someone knows if that's correct or not? I will say that on the whole if you live in a good affluent area then the schools tend to be good also and that includes the public schools. I see you are not a PR so are you aware of the school fees? Good luck , Jo

Guest beach waves

There is a nice(not cheap) school you could get them into my kids attend.Its called the pittwater house schools in collaroy.Its a really small school and very old fashioned but great.....pics of the queen lol!

Guest sssazzzz

Thanks v much for info, looks like MacKellar might be the one for my eldest if we can get her in! Yes thanks did know about fees for public if not PR but good of you to let me know incase. Does anyone out there have any feedback on MacKellar please????

Thanks v much for info, looks like MacKellar might be the one for my eldest if we can get her in! Yes thanks did know about fees for public if not PR but good of you to let me know incase. Does anyone out there have any feedback on MacKellar please????

Hi,

Makellar is a good school, so is Manly public you do have to be in school zone for public education in Sydney (although not for selective) . Stella Maris is another option in Manly for High School (catholic) fees are reasonable and you don't have to be catholic to attend them ( but you will be on the botton of their criteria list because catholic families have preference). NSW is scrapping free travel passes for school children so be sure you take that into consideration when choosing a school , that is if you aren't going to drive them cos it can be quite costly in the long run. public transport not the best on Northern Beaches.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
Guest dibblem1

We are moving out to Aus in Dec looking at Manly areas to live. Need schooling for a 3.5 year old leading into good primary (we will be there for 2 years min). Any advice out there?

Archived