Newcastle NSW bound anyone thinking of going in the near future!!

Guest Australia

Guest scot-aussie-scot

I lived in Newcastle for 5 years when my parents emigrated there in the 80's. I went to Waratah High School, we lived in Mayfield. Great memories from those times - teenage years spent at Newcastle beach and Nobbies beach! Now that the steel industry is gone it'll be so much cleaner although I'm not sure what everyone does for a crust now that it is gone. I still have relatives who live there.

Very underrated in my opinion. It's a small city with every facility that you could need and great beaches within easy reach.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there, I have had a job offer in Newcastle and we, me the wife and the 2 daughters (18 & 15) are hoping to come out on a bit of a fact finding mission in Feb/March. So any advice on housing, schools, jobs (wife & 18year old), etc. you can give would help.

On the housing front I have been looking on a website called realastate.com.au is this a realistic view of what is on offer?

Thanks Dilly

You arn't wrong about it being a big ask of the family, I hope the trip in Feb/March will convince everyone, including me. It sounds like a really nice place, got to give it a try, life's to short not to!

Thanks Dilly

Guest redhead

Hi, my husband has just been offered a job in Newcastle, the thing is we live in Canada now, have done for the last 5yrs we are originally from the uk and we thought this would be our last move but now the company want to move him to oz. I have mixed feelings, my bigest being leaving my children, 2 are in canada, they came here to join us and now we are going to leave them, we now have a grandson and another one on the way. I am realy torn as to what to do, another big fear of mine is spiders cockroaches and snakes, It might sound stupid to some ppl but I am absolutly terrified, pls can some one tell me if you do get lots of bugs cause it realy would make a difference to wether I would come or not thanks a lot

Hi, my husband has just been offered a job in Newcastle, the thing is we live in Canada now, have done for the last 5yrs we are originally from the uk and we thought this would be our last move but now the company want to move him to oz. I have mixed feelings, my bigest being leaving my children, 2 are in canada, they came here to join us and now we are going to leave them, we now have a grandson and another one on the way. I am realy torn as to what to do, another big fear of mine is spiders cockroaches and snakes, It might sound stupid to some ppl but I am absolutly terrified, pls can some one tell me if you do get lots of bugs cause it realy would make a difference to wether I would come or not thanks a lot

I have been here 3 months. I have never seen a snake, and I go out into the country alot. I have seen a few spiders, but the harmless variety.

When I first came out I would be terrified to walk over the park in anything but wellies, but now I am never out of the flip flops.

• 5 months later...
Guest themikey

Hello

I have lived in Maitland for four years now with my wife, also a pom after moving from South London where I lived for 30+ years.

I work for Maitland City Council (no I don't lean on a broom all day!)

If any of you need any help yell out.

• 5 months later...

Kirstie and Marc

Like Yvonne, we also live in Maitland, well East Maitland to be more precise. I work at Kooragang Coal terminal in Newcastle. Have lived in East Maitland for 3 yrs, and OZ of 5yrs nearly (next April). Wife is Helen, children - Jamie(19), Chris(17), Tom(11) and Sophie(9). Let us know how the move goes.

Guest Australia

Hey Gday,

Been in Newcastle for a month now, and apart from the beaches Im not really loving it....

I have not got a job yet (Hubbie is working as an engineer in Maitland) but finding it hard to find a job think it is the time of year with Christmas and everything.

Thought I was going to love the Oz experience but missing family and friends lots.

Were currently living in Merewether in a house share which is an experience when your married, it was nice to make friends at first but now not loving it.

At the moment dont feel like I want to live here for ever!! missing Britain, fashion prices... everything seems expensive electricals clothes food nothing is cheap......

Plus Australia is behind in so many ways..

Sorry for ranting just not what I expected at all. Came to Oz three years ago at was a lot better but then again it was a holiday...........

Hey 'Australia',

I totally can see where you are coming from in terms of your opinions. Newcastle is very different to other parts/major cities of Australia. There is not that much going on and it is quite a parochial town in my opinion where it is quite difficult to really make friends and settle in. In saying that there are some pluses as well but I myself am here almost a year and considering moving to somewhere else in Australia. If you could get a job, I think that would help a lot though depending on what you do and whether they will be a good social outlets. As for the shared house - I came on my own and went into a share house and I am tired of a shared house as well so I can imagine what you and your husband must be feeling! I don't totally agree on the prices though although food shopping is expensive but eating out is very reasonable and drink although the social life is terrible not helped by the draconian measures they have introduced.

Kirstie and Marc

This is not going well. I started a reply to you at 7.30pm. since then I have drunk a full bottle of wine (well what I would tell my doctor anyway) and have had 2 false starts on delivering the reply. If the words start to go in a mucking fuddle sort of way then stop reading.

Newcastle is not so bad. Paradise if you come from Sumalia yet a slum if from Epping Forest or Chelsea. It is at the end of the day an industrial town with its two key industies being coal and steel production. The black country in the 60's (no dig intended). Steel has now gone. The region however is amazing. In land are the vineyards (just like france or portugal) mile after mile of vines with quirky shops and wine tasting (take a bus you'll not be fit to drive after). HVG (Hunter Valley Gardens - great for a walk round and the kids will love it - plus the British Lolly Shop - if you need a normal jelly or a bag of Scampi Fries.

Brisbane - well 1 hr flight away - a roung tripover a weekend and if you catch the deals online cheap as chips

Sydney - 2 hrs away in a car - Christmas fireworks coming up!!

Melbourne - 2.5 hrs away (fly) - fashion capital of OZ

Perth 4hrs away (fly) - best city we have seen so far

(thought this had gone to syberspace - hence the next one)

Kirstie and Marc

I hate forums. Probably because I spent a lot of time tonight writing then I press the wrong button and lose the lot. Have done this 4 times tonight in reply to your message. Too tired now to repeat, but would like to say (from both Helen and myself) give us a call or email - would love to chat or meet. Christmas is a time for friends so maybe we all need a few more.

Too all who read this. How better to meet new people, so open house for drinks on Christmas Eve. Let me know if you want to come over (children and all). We have a pool. We can share stories and beer, kids can swim, and maybe a bite to eat.

Let me know

themikey

small world and yet we dont find people (I speak for myself). Had our Citizanship ceremony at Maitland City Hall. Fully paid up Aussies now.

If you dont us a broom what do you do? Do you have family?

Guest themikey

Did you get your plant at the Town Hall!?!? lmao

Congrats on getting your citizanship, Mr Blackmore is a complete nutter!

I drive the councils diggers that everybody has to sit behind going 15 mph in the mornings, and also look after the stock at the council depot in Metford. Drive trucks, the fun is endless.

Erm I have my wife and we are expecting a Baby on the 26 of January (Australia Day)...go figure, all my friends at work are saying that they are going to adopt it and teach it to speak Oztraaaalain!

Australia...there is life outside of Newcastle, take a drive, the place might be backward but they do have cars!

I came here with my wife over four years ago now and stepped off a plane at William Town airport with a bag each and 12 boxes on a ship somewhere in the ocean.

That was it..no jobs...no home... nothing.

A taxie to Ramond Terrace, a room at the local pub, some give and take, some random Australians who gave us a shot and asked for nothing in return.

We live a good life and have some great friends, I laugh everyday and after going back to England now and again to see family and friends, I always like coming back.

This place will give you whatever you want to make out of it!!

Ezeepz, I know one of the blokes at teh Coal loading terminals in Newcastle...he is something to do with the harbour master, a pom also!

:mad:Hi,

We've been in Newcastle 11 months now and I have a love hate relationship with it. One day I hate this place and and can't get the thought of this has been the biggest mistake of my life,and there are days when I look at my boys and think this is the best place for them example of today my eldest has been on the beach all day with his mates and my youngest has been in our friends pool today,if we were at home they would have been on the playstation!! but it doesn't stop me feeling homesick on our first Christmas in Oz

Hi Kas

Know the feeling of first Christmas in Oz. We couldnt get used to the fact that it was hot and not cold. My wife still can't. How old are the boys? We have 3, from 19 down to 11 and one girl at 9. As I said in a previous post, we are keen to meet people so if anyone cares for a drink and chat on Christams Eve we have open house. Wont release address in open forum though.

Hi The Mikeys

Thanks for the reply

Yeah, we got the plants at the town hall - lol. Got six in all. They dont seem to like the soil at our house though as 4 have died and 2 are struggling. Glad you love Newcastle. Sounds like you made all the right decisions coming here. We have been a few places around, and I have been travelling with my job. We love Perth and Brisbane. Have not got to Melbourne or Adelaide yet. I agree with your sentiments regarding a place is what you make of it.

If your around Christams Eve and would like a beer on us let us know. We be nice to meet in person.

Hi there!

I haven't read all the posts so I don't know who's replied, where they live, advice, etc. So I thought I'd just let you know that I live in Valentine, just down the road from Warners Bay (noticed you were considering that area).

I'm single and have no kiddies, so I can't comment on schools, however I can say the lake itself is lovely!

Let me know if you have any questions. You're also more than welcome to PM me.

T

• 7 years later...

A long shot resurrecting an old thread here, but looking for some people from the Newcastle area for good advice. I've been put in touch with the expat Facebook group, but also good to see if anyone has any opinions on Warners Bay, Valentine or Elebeena here. 

On 21/01/2009 at 14:50, Guest tiff said:

I have been here 3 months. I have never seen a snake, and I go out into the country alot. I have seen a few spiders, but the harmless variety.

When I first came out I would be terrified to walk over the park in anything but wellies, but now I am never out of the flip flops.

I saw my first black snake this year while cutting the grass on our block of land it soon shot off when the mower got near , I have been here 7 years now 

btw they are thongs not flip flops 

As to Newcastle it's certainly a great place and is on the up as are property prices , rent  is ok , the amount of new homes under construction is simply unbelievable 

its a great area with so much to do on your door step , 

Archived