Newcastle NSW bound anyone thinking of going in the near future!!

Guest Australia

Guest Australia

:jiggy:Hey Gday Mates!!!

Anyone thinking of moving to Newcastle NSW, just got our CO yesterday so it starting to feel real now, oh my goodness Im excited and nervous at the same time!!!

Would be fantastic to hear from some people who are moving to Newcastle or nearby!! Maybe could chat and compare notes etc....

Hope to hear from some likeminded people

Kirstie and Marc xx:wubclub:

Guest Australia

Hey guys,

may well get in touch to see how things are going, good luck for your move, would be good to get some photos up of Newcastle to show how you are getting on.

Kirstie + Marc x

Guest yvonne-d

Hi all,

We live in maitland about 25 mins from Newcastle,

hubby works in Carrington.

We love it here, lovely people and fantastic beaches.

If you need any help just give me a pm.

Yvonne.

Guest The Bishop's

hi Yvonne-d,

we will be soon moving to maitland fingers crossed. can you tell me more about the place i have heard it is loverly and what i have researched it sounds nice. but would love to hear from someone who knows and lives there. hope to hear from you.

Jo

Hi all,

Not sure if i can be of any help to any of you but I was a Newcastle girl (novocastrian for those in the know!) born and bred, lived there for 21 years. Have been living in England for the last 4 years, but am due to move back to Oz with my English fiance next year!

Anyway, if any of you have any questions about living in Newcastle I would be happy to try and answer them!

Nae

Hi all,

Not sure if i can be of any help to any of you but I was a Newcastle girl (novocastrian for those in the know!) born and bred, lived there for 21 years. Have been living in England for the last 4 years, but am due to move back to Oz with my English fiance next year!

Anyway, if any of you have any questions about living in Newcastle I would be happy to try and answer them!

Nae

Hi there, my big question is still which is the best suburb for schools and bringing up kids generally? We're currently leaning towards Eleebana and Warners Bay, although also like the look of Kotara and New Lambton. You must have a good idea if you grew up there! Thanks!

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

I actually went to Kotara High School myself, and my cousins all went to Warners Bay High!!

Both are public schools - as in state schools - Kotara is a smaller school than Warners Bay, and year sizes are around 100-140 students, which was really nice as everyone knows everyone and teachers all know the students as well. I had a really positive experience with Kotara High and would be happy to tell you a little more about it, or other state schools if that is what you are interested in. There isn't the same catchment type system (or wasnt when i was at school) as in the UK, i lived in Charlestown so technically my 'feeder' schools were Cardiff High or Warners Bay - you can normally choose from a few schools in the general area. Warners Bay would position you close enough to choose between several good state schools.

If however you are looking for private education, there are two main ones in the region, Hunter Valley Grammar School and Newcastle Grammar School. Both great schools with great equipment and facilities.

There is also one main academic-based selective school in the region, Merrewether High, and to join this school you take an entrance exam, but they along with the two private schools tend to churn out the highest HSC (higher school certificate) scores as a general rule. That said, i got 94.4% at Kotara - so it does depend on your kids and their approach to school life - good teachers are to be found in all the schools.

Warners Bay would certainly be one of my top picks for suburbs to live - it is a great, safe area for kids and has a great community feel to it. Excellent sporting clubs and groups and other general activities for your kids as well, with Lake Macquarie being a central feature of the suburb! We always had our family BBQ's at the free public parks which are numerous around the lakeside. Speerspoint and Teralba are two neighbouring suburbs that you could also look at!

I have waffled quite alot there, but if you want any more details or elaboration on any of the above, just let me know:)

Nae

Just realised the age of your kids - high school is a little way off yet - sorry! There are great primary schools all around the area - I went to Hillsborough Primary School (as did my cousins who lived in Warners Bay at the time) and its a particularly lovely, small primary school with lovely grounds. There are quite a few that are in the Warners Bay area - but names escape me for now as it has been a while since i was in primary school! I can certainly find out a few of the best ones in the warners bay area for you if you like, i still have family in the area. Just let me know if that would be helpful and i will get back to you!

Sorry about the confusion over what school age i was supposed to be talking about! lol

Nae

Thanks so much for that Nae, we're definately getting a good vibe about Warners Bay area! You were spot on with the schools, our oldest has 2 years so it's always worth thinking ahead a wee bit. I had heard about Merewether High and think that could be good for him (v.academic) but maybe not for his brothers. So long as they are happy I don't mind where they are!

Where will you head when you come home?

Thanks again

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

Happy to help! Or attempt to at least;) I am sure your children will love Oz, you are moving at a great time with regards to their ages - they will fit right in. Do let me know if I can be of any more help - I am sure I know lots of people who will be able to recommend good schools etc!

As for us, not sure yet where we will end up, i am just finishing my PhD so will have to go wherever I can get a job! We are hoping for Sydney or better Newcastle, to be close to family, but it really could end up being anywhere! Luckily my fiance should be able to get a job wherever we go. He is very keen to make the move and very excited about the prospect of living in Australia, which is great for me of course!

When do you hope to leave? Another quick tip - once you are out there and settled, make sure you make a trip (day or weekend) to Port Stephens. Its a little slice of paradise about 45 mins drive away, and the kids will love it. They have dolphin and whale watching cruises, loads of stuff for the kids, and the beaches and bays are amazing! My fiance decided then and there that he wanted to move when we visited last Christmas! I'm sure it will help cement Australia in your hearts.

Good luck with your planning and let me know if i can be of any more help.

Nae

Guest yvonne-d
hi Yvonne-d' date='

we will be soon moving to maitland fingers crossed. can you tell me more about the place i have heard it is loverly and what i have researched it sounds nice. but would love to hear from someone who knows and lives there. hope to hear from you.

Jo[/quote']

Hi jo,

maitland is sort of in the middle of it all, we have beaches about 20 mins away and of the vinyards are about 25 mins away they have great resturants and do live music, we are 25 mins from Newcastle which also has some fab live music on sundays, so a great place to chill.

We love it here and the people are lovely.

If you would like me to show you around when you get here just let me know,

sometimes its nice to know someone where you are moving to.

All the best Yvonne.

Guest Matt & Sarah
Thanks so much for that Nae, we're definately getting a good vibe about Warners Bay area! You were spot on with the schools, our oldest has 2 years so it's always worth thinking ahead a wee bit. I had heard about Merewether High and think that could be good for him (v.academic) but maybe not for his brothers. So long as they are happy I don't mind where they are!

Where will you head when you come home?

Thanks again

Sandra

Hi Sandra,

We moved to Oz in August (spent 10 weeks in Tamworth) and we've been living in Warners Bay for nearly 3 weeks now. We're only about 100m walk from the edge of the lake, and it's fantastic so far. Sarah's a Dr and all her colleagues were surprised we weren't living in Merewether, The Junction or up on the Hill or something, as they're the places to be. However, Warners Bay is only a short drive into the CBD, it's right on the lake (your choice is Lake or Beach if you want water - a great choice to have!), has a really nice family area vibe.

Highly recommended.

Hi all

This is my first post on Pom's in Oz - We've been here in Newcastle (well Port Stephens - we live in Medowie) for over a year now and we love it. So much so that we took our citizenship tests last month !! We can't wait for the date to come around so we can become official.

We've become good friends with Yvonne D and her family and it's great to get to know other expats who live around the area. I must say I struggled a bit when I first got here but I met up with a few people from the British Expat site and you soon make friends around work & school.

If anybody wants to get together just give me a shout, I'm always up for meeting up for a coffee or getting the families together for a beer & a BBQ. I'm only about 30 mins away from Newcastle CBD & most other areas like Kotara & Charlestown.

As Yvonne said there are some lovely beaches & Danick also recommend Port Stephens. we love the fact we are only 20 mins from some fantastic beaches and we often go down to Nelson bay just to walk along the marina & sit and have an icecream and watch the world go by. I too can recommend the dolphin watching. I have done it a couple of times and it still takes your breath away seeing them so close.

Anyway if anybody needs any info or wants to catch up just give me a shout, happy for any PM's too.

Gill :jiggy:

Hi, we too are looking at this general area of OZ, hoping to move Feb 2009, 2 kids aged 10 & 13, OH a plumber, never been before so not sure what to expect, so excited about going it's just all the prep between now & then, i.e flights, shipping, accommodation, opening bank accounts etc that scares me!! Not forgetting Xmas in the middle! Will be following this thread with interest. Bye for now.

Guest Australia

Hey Gday mates!!

Would be great to see a few photos of Newcastle and Maitland and the Suberbs around.

Will def contact you guys for more advice and info about Newcastle area.

Were hoping to go around March time depending on the visa etc...

Any advice or info about moving to the area will be much appreciated.

Kirstie and Marc xx:wubclub:

A guide to the city of Newcastle with Newcastle Tourism, Newcastle Visitor Information and Booking Centre, online booking service for accommodation and Activities in Newcastle

Newcastle City Council-Welcome

Maitland City Council

Welcome - Maitland, Hunter Valley, New South Wales, Australia

Hunter Valley Wine Country Tourism

Port Stephens Visitor Centre, Port Stephens Accommodation, Port Stephens Tours

Not sure if the attached web sites will be of any use but they give you an idea of the things available to do and I've put on the Newcastle & Maitland Council websites. always helpful to have a look at the Council websites I think. I've put the hunter valley & port stephens stuff in there as well as they are only a short drive from Maitland & Newcastle.

Where I live in Medowie is a bit further out so we have to drive to the bigger shopping centres & stuff but my daughter can now walk to school on her own (she's 10) and we have a small local shopping area with a big supermarket so don't have to pop far for a pint of milk. on saying that it is only a 30 min drive to places like Kotara & John Hunter Hospital, and out here to drive 30 mins is nothing. Can you believe that in the whole of the Port Stephens Shire there are only 3 roads that have traffic lights on !!!!!!!!!!!

what won me over for this area was that it's a smaller town where everybody says Hello to you and it's is still a bit of country side with horses in the yards & smaller farms still operating, total contrast to London and the hussle & bussle we were used too. I know this type of area isn't everybodies cup of tea but for us it was about making as much of a lifestyle change from London as possible - okay we still have to go to work but you can change pretty much everything else.

anyway I can talk forever - hope the websites are of some use and give me a shout if you'd like any other info.

G :jiggy:

• 1 month later...
Guest markstruthy

Hi All - just joined up today and stumbled on your thread. I'm an aussie living in uk at the mo (hopefully going home soon) and prior to coming here, lived in Newcastle for 7 years. Great city. Deserves more credit than it gets. Loads of money going in to developing the city centre, some already complete but lots to come. Beaches are great (not all industrial as often some think). I lived in Merewether - fab place to live, cafes, restuarants, pubs all within walk to the beach. Great position, close to Sydney and also have port stephens on your door step which I love...realy is beautiful. good luck...and enjoy...make the most of living on the coast it's great! any questions feel free to ask. I still get home a little and have lots of friends still there, so should be able to help (in most cases)....

So what are the best places to live in Newcastle? Thinking of getting houseshare as it might help me get to know a few. 26 yo guy moving on my own. Is there much soccer played there?

Guest markstruthy

there are many great locations around Newcastle, but my preference is definately the Merewether area. If you like the beach and cafe culture this is the place to be, there are also great Pubs the Prince of Wales, Mary Ellen, The Beaches Hotel etc etc. Also Cooks Hill, close to Darby street and city centre is a great location, or Hamilton I think is also great. All of these areas attract the younger crowd (of which I once was!).

Soccer - hmm well, I think they do have a pro team, but afraid its more Cricket / Rugby or Rugby League (go the Newcastle knights!). If you play cricket, I know Merewether have a good team, and a large social circle goes with it.

You should be able to find a house share fairly easy, uni students are all over the place, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Are you planning on working when there?

Hope this helps.

Struthy

Archived