Getting a VISA via sponsorship

Guest Andy_P

Hello all,

If I should try and get employment sponsorship for a visa for, say, a year or two:

1. What do you do first - apply for and get a job?

2. Is there the same TRA process to go through that is required for a skilled permanent residency visa?

I would in fact qualify to go for a skilled PR visa (I think) but that seems a bit scary at the moment!

Just a bit bewildered by it all, sorry for the dumb questions. :?

If anyone can help me, thanks!

Andy.

Guest nev_n_angie

Hi Andy

Slightly different route, but we've gone for the Employer Sponsor side of things - I'm not too sure how you would go about applying for jobs etc, but if the employer wants you, then ours had applied for a Labour Agreement. We STILL have to go through the whole immigration process even though we've had a job offer, signed and returned, had the Labour Agreement, now we're applying ofr PR Visas.

As far as I'm aware, the Visa will take up to 3 months to come through - we've waited this long....what's another few months!

What profession are you?? I think lots will depend on that?

Best of luck

Angie

Hello Angie,

I am currently doing PLC programming and electrics in a manufacturing capacity, and have also done factory electrical maintenance. (If you don't know what a PLC is then don't worry! :) )

Currently pondering about a move to Oz and looking into all the different options. As a permanent move is a bit daunting, I thought that a temporary stay might be a possibility, hence I'm looking into sponsorship which seems to offer a temporary stay of up to four years.

Good luck to you with your application!

Andy.

Hi Andy

Once we knew that we didnt get enough points to go over as a skilled worker I started looking into any way possible that would get us over there. Once I read about the possability of sponsorship we started to look into it. All I did was a Google search and came up with a few companies that offered sponsorship for the type of work that I do in the UK.

Once we found the company it was a case of sending them the resume and then waiting. That didnt take long.

The best way is to find a company that offers sponsorship already, that way they dont have to go and seek permission by the immigration board. If you also go onto http://www.google.com.au and do a search for jobs (in Oz only) and then see what comes up for your line of work. It will state on some job description that you need to be a resident, but some dont and thats where we started.

If you would like me to have a look for you, let me know what type of work your in and I will have a look and let you know if I find anything. For Sponsorship you would apply for a 457 visa and it takes about 6 weeks from the visa lodge date to approval and your company who sponsors you should sort all your forms and go through the stages with you as ours did and we got emailed all the forms so just printed them off, filled them in and sent them back so no messing, they also tell you when to go for your medicals etc and sent me all the address where the panel doctors are for medicals so that you can find the one nearest you. and it hasnt cost us extra for the all that help either. Good luck and dont hesitate if you need anymore help as we are now just awaiting on our visa approval

Cheers

Lynne :D

Guest Gollywobbler

Hi Andy

Others can tell you about the points test and the skills-testing stuff.

However, if you would qualify for the skilled 136 visa than my STRONG advice to you would be that you should not bother with anything less than that. It is the ONLY visa for Australia that comes with absolutely no strings attached. Most people with a yen to live in Australia would give their eye-teeth for one, so if the gift horse is there then don't look it in the mouth, my old son! :)

Permanent Residence is not the same thing as Immigration Detention, either. :) So what is scaring you, hun?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Andy,

I too am looking at the sponsored option, but only because I am struggling to muster the necessary 120 pts. (can only manage 80).

GollyWobbler is right, if you have enough pts., go for the 136. It gives you more options as to where you can live & work. At the end of the day it aint a life sentence. If you decide Oz really isn't for you, you can always come back anyway.

If I had the choice I know what I'd do :!: .

Good luck :)

Cheers,

Tom

Archived