carpenter october test

Guest lilly mist

Guest lilly mist

Hi guys...

Ok so my hubby has just done his test on monday so no news yet but i thought it might help future carpenters to know what he was asked to do...

He had to ......

Build a small hip roof on one end with a gable on the other.

Mark out a setting out staff for a stud wall.

Make a saw stool.

Cross cut a piece of 3x2 with a circular saw.

Plane down timber to size stated using electric plainer.

Rip down timber to stated size using circular saw.

Grind and hone chisel.

Plane timber with a hand plane both with grain and across end grain.

He also was taken to one side and asked a whole bunch of questions.

Example of which...

To name the components of tower scaffold.

Name studding, flooring and roofing components.

General health and safty

General carpentry. [loads]

They gave nothing away at all he said..

Hope this helps you guys and we now have the frustrating wait to see if he passed.:arghh:

Guest frost family
Hi guys...

Ok so my hubby has just done his test on monday so no news yet but i thought it might help future carpenters to know what he was asked to do...

He had to ......

Make a saw stool.

Grind and hone chisel.

Example of which...

General health and safty

Hope this helps you guys and we now have the frustrating wait to see if he passed.:arghh:

Hi,

My partner is hoping to get on to the Jan skills test. Then fingers crossed he will pass and then we will be off as soon as possilbe to Brisbane.

Fingers crossed your hubby passed, keep us posted. I am sure he has.

Danni

• 8 months later...
Guest army24
Hi guys...

He had to ......

Make a saw stool.

Grind and hone chisel.

Example of which...

General health and safty

Hi there, when he put the hipped roof on do you have to draw it out first to get the height of the ridge? cheers.

• 1 month later...
Guest colinharra

hi just reading your old post on the joinery test got mine to do in october so yor info is a help, did you pass ok and have you gone to oz yet and if so hows the the work situation thanks colin harrison

hi just reading your old post on the joinery test got mine to do in october so yor info is a help, did you pass ok and have you gone to oz yet and if so hows the the work situation thanks colin harrison

Hi Colin

OH doing his carpentery assessment in September in Preston, are you doing yours then as well., Are you doing Joinery or Carpentry?

Guest colinharra

yeah doing the carpentry in preston 3 october, they must have just changed venues think it was usually in acrington. can't say i'm looking forward to being watched and tested but also can't se it being to difficult. where are you's heading

We are hopefully heading off to Perth, I have a brother living out there so good place to start. OH assessment was originally for end of Oct but because of change of venue he's doing it earlier now end of Sept. OH iis shopfitter mainly so he's not looking forward to the roofing part of it. Where are you heading?

Guest colinharra

perth also i used to do shopfitting myself so i understand his worry having to do a roof, shopfitting and roof work are a million miles from each other but i'm sure the testers must take that in to consideration. have you heard anything what the job situation is like out in perth? i've heard completly conflicting reports

My OH passed wooohoo!! So we are off to perth on 5th October on a WHV until our Permanant visa comes through. Cant wait.

My OH had also never done roofs so he bought some timber and practiced in the back garden. If he hadnt done that he would have failed!!!

Hope all goes well for everyone.

x

Hi, can i say a big thank you for making an effort and posting the info that is included in the assesment, i am new to my trade and i have lodged my paper based application, and i might be getting the green light for oct practical assesment, is there any othe infomation you can highlight as this will give me more confidence and readyness regarding Vetasses

Guest colinharra

seems a bit mad asking the componenents of a scaffold tower for a carpentry test. hope they don't ask the process for the construction of an oversized enchidna ( if you don't know what i'm on about don't worry you'll find out one day over there)

We are hopefully heading off to Perth, I have a brother living out there so good place to start. OH assessment was originally for end of Oct but because of change of venue he's doing it earlier now end of Sept. OH iis shopfitter mainly so he's not looking forward to the roofing part of it. Where are you heading?

Hi who does you OH work for, my hubby is from N Ireland and was a shop fitter before he moved to Leicester.

Hi all I did test last April in accrington was very nervous but soon got into the swing of things I think what you have to do is show you are confident in using hand and power tools

About the hip roof I don;t really think they are really interested in the finished artical as I didn't quite finish mine and they didnn't even take any measurement of the height or pitch just had a quick glance to see if it was all semetrical

They seemed more interested in how you went about seting it out and using a template rafter to be honest I think you Just have to show that you know what you are doing and doing with confidence

I also made a mistake in making the saw horse but all the assessor said was that you won't see it in a photo( they take photos of all your work with you in the picture and your name on your work) so really I think they are looking for confidence more than quallity

The best thing I found was to Buy the book The roofing ready reconer and practice with some old 3x2 in the back garden I had't done roofing for years but once you get into the swing of things it all starts coming back

Any Questions don't hesitate to ask because I went through the same thing and I got help with other lads on here

Best of look

Gazza

Hi Natty

He works for MMW building services, does your hubby know it? They do a lot of work for Pattons.

Hi Grainne,

Does Seamus Murray own MMW, Dom worked for F Mcwilliams FM Shopfitting from Kilrea who do a lot of work for Pattons. I met him in Dublin 12 years ago, Whats your OH name, My Hubbys Dominic Tosh.

Hi

This is my first post. Been reading the site for a while, thought it was time to join in.

Did my practical back in August at Accrington. Been a carpenter for 26 years and done everything, but your never prepared for going back to school and being tested. As other post said you make a saw stool, but to their specs, bevels and dimensions so you got to read a drawing (thats one of the things they're looking for). Then build a gable and hipped roof, again to spec reading drawing. Mark out a Marking out rod (waste of time i never have bothered since making one at college 26 years ago). Then answer questions on a paper he gives you, just numbering scaffold parts studding and roofing parts. Cut down the middle of a length of 3x2 with a circular saw and plane it up with a power plane. He does walk around, but not with a clip board, looked like he was helping a couple of guys who seemed to be struggling.

He took me into another room started asking questions then stopped after a couple mins and said I could probably teach him a thing or two and my practical was done. Blowing my own trumpet, started at 8.30 am and was walking away completed 11.50am. Examiner said I had broken all records. To be honest, if you know your carpentry its a piece of cake nothing to worry about, but I don't think they would fail many unless you really looked like you had no idea.

By the way... you only need basic tools... inch chisel, hammer, bevel, square, saw, block plane, tape, pencil, calculator for roof dims, cordless with 5mm drill bit and countersink. Not as one prat did on my day turn up with literally his complete van filled tool kit, power tool everything, which is why we started late cus the examiner and technicians were helping him in with them.

Hope this helps

Carlos:wink:

Hi

This is my first post. Been reading the site for a while, thought it was time to join in.

Did my practical back in August at Accrington. Been a carpenter for 26 years and done everything, but your never prepared for going back to school and being tested. As other post said you make a saw stool, but to their specs, bevels and dimensions so you got to read a drawing (thats one of the things they're looking for). Then build a gable and hipped roof, again to spec reading drawing. Mark out a Marking out rod (waste of time i never have bothered since making one at college 26 years ago). Then answer questions on a paper he gives you, just numbering scaffold parts studding and roofing parts. Cut down the middle of a length of 3x2 with a circular saw and plane it up with a power plane. He does walk around, but not with a clip board, looked like he was helping a couple of guys who seemed to be struggling.

He took me into another room started asking questions then stopped after a couple mins and said I could probably teach him a thing or two and my practical was done. Blowing my own trumpet, started at 8.30 am and was walking away completed 11.50am. Examiner said I had broken all records. To be honest, if you know your carpentry its a piece of cake nothing to worry about, but I don't think they would fail many unless you really looked like you had no idea.

By the way... you only need basic tools... inch chisel, hammer, bevel, square, saw, block plane, tape, pencil, calculator for roof dims, cordless with 5mm drill bit and countersink. Not as one prat did on my day turn up with literally his complete van filled tool kit, power tool everything, which is why we started late cus the examiner and technicians were helping him in with them.

Hope this helps

Carlos:wink:

All the above sounds good, however for you to finish in 3hr 20 min, you must have had a rocket up your arse, Jobs to be done

1 Hip roof etc

2 Horse bench

3 set out rod

4 rip 3x2

5 Tec Questions

6 sharpen chis

7 multi choice questions (scaff comp etc)

8 coffe break

and you done all this in 3hr 20 min. Amazing, do you want a job, i could do with some one like you!!!

Proview.

Archived