'Caloundra' anybody ever been?

Guest Adam & Lauren

Hi. I'm really interested to and hear what everyone has to say about Caloundra. We are in Somerset and were expecting to go back to Brisbane but it looks as though we may be ending up in Caloundra instead which I have been to as a day out to the beach destination but know nothing about as a place to live. We have a daughter of 11, so schools are of particular interest.

Deb

Hi

We fly to Oz on 25th Jan and are staying on GC. We ruled out Caloundra because we heard not a lot of work available on SC.

This thread is great and its making me sway more to Caloundra and Mountain Creek again. I think we will book a few days here or have a long drive and check out work situation. Looking on the internet, this area looks beautiful.

Jill

xxx

Guest SEFFnSARAH

We are also looking at Caloundra and Pelican Waters. It really does sound too good to be true. Gina's photos are fantastic and just making us all the more determined to get out there. My mum and sister are heading up that way at Christmas so are going to check it out for us. If we find out anything interesting we will pass it on.

SEFFnSARAH

Hi there

I used to live near Caloundra. It is not a very big place and I would not imagine there would be much work there. However, it depends what you are after. I think it is a naturally beautiful place with lovely beaches. Over the last few years, I believe there has been quite a bit of high rise development targetted at older people moving up from the south. It's only a 15 min drive to Maroochydore, which has quite a big shopping area, and about 30 mins to the mountains.

Good luck

Lulu

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wikiskippy

I am an Aussie living in the U.K but back home I lived in Brisbane. I would recommend Caloundra for families or non city folk. Brisbane is great for work and nightlife etc but up in Caloundra its much more laid back yet not country hick type of livin'. The Sunshine coast was my haven on my days off....just pop in the car, 1hr or so later I was in heaven. They have cinemas, shopping centres, everything close by its like a sub city.

Caloundra is the more relaxed area of the coast, Noosa, Alexandra headlands or Mooloolaba are the more 'Upmarkety' type places

• 2 weeks later...
Guest helen williams

Hi Guys

I have lived in Caloundra for nearly 7 years and love it. I am married with 4 kids and it is a great place to bring up a young family. Work is a little hard to get on the coast and the pay is not that great. The schools are both public and private. The beaches are good, particularly Kings Beach and the house prices are reasonable but it depends what you are after

Cheers

Helen Williams

Hi

I have friends in Caloundra and have been over there 3 times and know the place really well now. Its kinda spread out with really nice beaches. Just now it's spreading inland and expanding with more and more housing. I too am a country person and found Caloundra a bit too busy - we prefer Landsborough 7 miles or so inland or Cooroy 20 odd miles north. Rgese places are more in the country whereas Caloundra is a bit of a resort town,

We have our visa and will be going over some time this year if and when we can sell up our business. We're looking at Burpengary between Brissie and Caloundra as there's a business for sale there rather similar to ours here in Scotland

Guest WARDStoOZ

Hi all...!

Is Caloundra too far to live if you need to commute into central Brisbane most days...???

I imagine it is but it's a shame as it looks so beautiful... maybe someone can tell me that it's not too much of a commute or am I just dreaming...???

Dan xx :-)

Guest Working to fish
Hi all...!

Is Caloundra too far to live if you need to commute into central Brisbane most days...???

I imagine it is but it's a shame as it looks so beautiful... maybe someone can tell me that it's not too much of a commute or am I just dreaming...???

Dan xx :-)

Hi Dan on a good day can be done in an hour or so ,on a bad day a good hour and haft

eddie

Guest Working to fish
great place and good beaches, but it would be very wearing commuting to Brisbane.

I do it now and again ,some days not to bad other days you just want to give up and go home.

eddie

Why on a highway can you only do 80ks (45 miles an hour) :arghh::arghh:

Guest Furball

I love that area too - it's great. We'll be living in Bli Bli (the place with silly pretend castle) with weekends in Mudjimba probably (at his nana's house) and the whole area around there is lovely. Marochydore has good shopping and a great cinema - and loads and loads of places to eat too.

It's very nice :) and very beautiful =)

Guest waynenicola

Hi all, just got back from caloundra and we all found it really nice. I even managed to bump into my uncles brother who i havent seen for 22 years !!! A friend of mine has opened a cafe grill on Landsborough parade called Fresh and Wild and i can vouch for the very fresh, organic and gluten free food. His mango smoothies with real fresh mangos is the perfect start to the day. If you pop in ask for dorian and say wayne sent you !!. The area is really clean and close to some first class beaches, the work situation seemed ok but they do say its slowing a bit so some back ground work may be needed to make sure you get the job offer you want.

We hope to be there by the end of our summer so fingers crossed !!

Wayne

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi all, just got back from caloundra and we all found it really nice. I even managed to bump into my uncles brother who i havent seen for 22 years !!! A friend of mine has opened a cafe grill on Landsborough parade called Fresh and Wild and i can vouch for the very fresh, organic and gluten free food. His mango smoothies with real fresh mangos is the perfect start to the day. If you pop in ask for dorian and say wayne sent you !!. The area is really clean and close to some first class beaches, the work situation seemed ok but they do say its slowing a bit so some back ground work may be needed to make sure you get the job offer you want.

We hope to be there by the end of our summer so fingers crossed !!

Wayne

Glad you liked it!

Lots of Luck with the move...!!!

Dan :-)

Guest waynenicola

Hi Dan, My kids (elliott 9 + Mollie 12) both loved the surf and the beaches. When you move to Brisbane they have a man made lagoon and beach in an area called Southbank, its free and you can even bbq there on electric BBQ's for free !. If you get to go to the Gold Coast there are loads of great theme parks like Wet n Wild or Sea World so loads to do!

Good luck

Wayne

Guest WARDStoOZ
Hi Dan, My kids (elliott 9 + Mollie 12) both loved the surf and the beaches. When you move to Brisbane they have a man made lagoon and beach in an area called Southbank, its free and you can even bbq there on electric BBQ's for free !. If you get to go to the Gold Coast there are loads of great theme parks like Wet n Wild or Sea World so loads to do!

Good luck

Wayne

Thanks for the info Wayne! My mum will be working at South Bank... sounds like a great place to work! :yes:

Thanks again :-)

• 3 months later...

We are moving to Caloundra in September. Anyone already there or heading there please message me coz we would love to find out more about what its like to actually live there. We have been there twice now and have decided its the place for us (instead of Burleigh Heads on the gold coast). We have two sons aged 16 and nearly 14.

Hope to hear from people soon.

Guest jewels1356

we went thier for a few hours the other sunday s we live in buderim and it was very nice

julie and graham

Guest jewels1356

and a market on sunday morning but i got thier to late as it was packing up so i will have to go again

Guest waynenicola

nah, my aunt is the blood rellie ! Great to see him though as he is not much older than me and i used to go and watch him play football in bristol and i found out i played football with some of his friends after he left.

cant wait to get back there and meet for another good yarn and a beer !

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lori and paul

hi ya we went to visit friends here also 2 yrs ago and loved it that much we also have decided to go..we got granted our visa yesterday 11may...flights booked for 26 dec...so hope to see you at the sunday marketes there fab x

Archived