'Caloundra' anybody ever been?

Guest Adam & Lauren

Guest Adam & Lauren

My wife and I are aiming to be in Oz August/September 2009, we have both spent time on the east coast and have decided to head in that direction.

Initially we aimed to go to Brisbane, we have friends there and people who might be able to help when we arrive. But we are not city people and we have decided to do so more research on the area around the gold coast and the sunshine coast. The place that seems to fit every inch of what we are looking for is a small city 1 hour north of Brisbane, called Caloundra.

However we have never actually been and experienced this place, everything we read is like a fairy tale, property in reasonable, the local attractions are fantastic and it sounds as though its gonna be a great place to start a young family and enjoy of future together. What i am after here is information off anybody who has been, visited, worked there, lived there, or is also looking to go over there from the UK.

So anything you know and would like to share with us will be greatly appreciated, because it is a big move and when we get there i don't want to have this perfect picture in my head and it not be even close... little reality from someone would be great.

Thank you and hope i get a small in-sight into Caloundra.

Cheers

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi Adam & Lauren

We were out that way this July/August as my sister-in-law lives in Mooloolaba just up coast from Coulandra. We went to the Sunday morning market there which was great, good beaches and nice cafe culture too. We went back there to the RSL club (returned services league bit like brit legion) for tea one night - Tuesday night is steak night $10 for 250gm sirloin steak plus trimings - my husband says it was excellent.

Brilliant (free !!) public pool on the beach and there's an area of the foreshore where they hold free concerts - my sister-in-law went to the all day concert last Oz Day.

We loved the area the weather is fab - 20-25 degrees and sunny everyday we were there and the other benefit of that coast is summer temps only reach 28degrees (although they tend to have most of their rain in summer)

If we weren't being sponsored by WA it's definitely where we'd be heading.

I'll put some photos on here

Lisa

Guest Adam & Lauren

Thank you very very much. It seems as though the place 'does exactly what it says on the tin' then, because we couldn't see any real negatives to it. And after your glowing review it makes it almost seem real, knowing that someone has been.

Thanks once again

Adam & Lauren

Hi Adam & Lauren

We were out that way this July/August as my sister-in-law lives in Mooloolaba just up coast from Coulandra. We went to the Sunday morning market there which was great' date=' good beaches and nice cafe culture too. We went back there to the RSL club (returned services league bit like brit legion) for tea one night - Tuesday night is steak night $10 for 250gm sirloin steak plus trimings - my husband says it was excellent.

Brilliant (free !!) public pool on the beach and there's an area of the foreshore where they hold free concerts - my sister-in-law went to the all day concert last Oz Day.

We loved the area the weather is fab - 20-25 degrees and sunny everyday we were there and the other benefit of that coast is summer temps only reach 28degrees (although they tend to have most of their rain in summer)

If we weren't being sponsored by WA it's definitely where we'd be heading.

I'll put some photos on here

Lisa[/quote']

Great post, great information, many thanks, we too have looked at Coulandra.

Would love to see the photos, where will you put them, on your profile?

Kelly :smile:

Hi

I tried to load some photos but the site rejected them because they're too big ! I'll see if I can put them on a diet and downsize the file

Lisa

Hi Adam & Lauren,

We went to Caloundra for 7 days as part of our rekkie and totally loved it. If we decide to live on the Sunshine Coast then it would definitely be Caloundra and here's our pics of it (and nearby) to show why :

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/michaelak-albums-mum-s-sunshine-coast-brisbane-pics.html (on daughter's PIO page)

Definitely has lots going for it.

Gina

Guest chiverton
My wife and I are aiming to be in Oz August/September 2009, we have both spent time on the east coast and have decided to head in that direction.

Initially we aimed to go to Brisbane, we have friends there and people who might be able to help when we arrive. But we are not city people and we have decided to do so more research on the area around the gold coast and the sunshine coast. The place that seems to fit every inch of what we are looking for is a small city 1 hour north of Brisbane, called Caloundra.

However we have never actually been and experienced this place, everything we read is like a fairy tale, property in reasonable, the local attractions are fantastic and it sounds as though its gonna be a great place to start a young family and enjoy of future together. What i am after here is information off anybody who has been, visited, worked there, lived there, or is also looking to go over there from the UK.

So anything you know and would like to share with us will be greatly appreciated, because it is a big move and when we get there i don't want to have this perfect picture in my head and it not be even close... little reality from someone would be great.

Thank you and hope i get a small in-sight into Caloundra.

Cheers

Adam.

If you go to realastate.au then go new build/ Coloundra you can view a video.

If you get any more info can you let me know.

Darren Chiverton

Hi

I managed to put a few photos on my profile page, will put more on tomorrow - takes ages to upload !

Lisa

Guest chris_mac

Hi, we stayed in Caloundra twice, each time for a month at a time. Additionally, we have been to Sydney, all the gold coast including fraser and a sister in Perth. Caloundra wins hands down.. The beaches are fantastic, the little town has everything from bars to restuarants, ice cream shops to Shopping malls, fantastic schools etc its blinkin brill.. This is where we are heading next year hopefully. We stayed in Pelican waters which is pretty exclusive but housing is readily available everywhere.. Kawana Rivers two minutes away is just as nice and half the price.. If you have any questions please jusr ask!

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Sent Police checks 27.08.08 - Recieved 06.09.08

Waiting C/O

Guest Angelcake

Hi Everyone

Can I ask about work in Caloundra? I too looked at Caloundra originally but discounted it due to lack of work and commuting distance into the city.

Do most people work in and around Caloundra or do they commute into the city? Just wondering how easy jobs are to find?

Thanks

Angelcake

Guest Working to fish

we live in Caloundra and find that it has every thing we could need, good schools ,every shop you will need ,hospital ect.The beaches are out of this world on a hot sunny day. House prices not to bad. As for things that it does not have ,um not alot i can think of.

Jobs can also be found in caloundra or near by.

eddie

Hi Adam & Lauren,

We went to Caloundra for 7 days as part of our rekkie and totally loved it. If we decide to live on the Sunshine Coast then it would definitely be Caloundra and here's our pics of it (and nearby) to show why :

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/members/michaelak-albums-mum-s-sunshine-coast-brisbane-pics.html (on daughter's PIO page)

Definitely has lots going for it.

Gina

Wow Gina, they are really beautiful photos, thankyou so much for sharing them with us. The area looks so clean.

we live in Caloundra and find that it has every thing we could need, good schools ,every shop you will need ,hospital ect.The beaches are out of this world on a hot sunny day. House prices not to bad. As for things that it does not have ,um not alot i can think of.

Jobs can also be found in caloundra or near by.

eddie

Hi Eddie,

First of all, can I say....'Loving the elephant' ive just been watching it for about a minute, its mesmerising!

Thanks for the information on Caloundra, its great to read that it has so much to do there, I was wondering how it would be for my eldest (now nearly 16, so will be approx 17/18 by the time we get over)

We keep going from Sunshine Coast to Gold Coast & im sure we wont truly know until we get over there (going to rent first before buying) But its good to have places in mind first.

How far away are you from the Gold Coast?

Guest Working to fish
Hi Eddie,

First of all, can I say....'Loving the elephant' ive just been watching it for about a minute, its mesmerising!

Thanks for the information on Caloundra, its great to read that it has so much to do there, I was wondering how it would be for my eldest (now nearly 16, so will be approx 17/18 by the time we get over) should be loads for some one of this age ,its a big ish size town and like i say has most things.

Gold coast Around one and a haft hour drive on a good day.

we looked at both places and felt sun coast was more laid back.

There is a lot more to do on gold coast but for us far to busy.

Every one to there own tho.

eddie

Guest Adam & Lauren

Just had five minute and looked at your photographs..... looks like you had a fab time.

Yeah it really does look good and i've feeling alot more positive about the move now. Thank you and keep in touch.

Adam & Lauren

Guest Adam & Lauren

Thank you all for your help, advise and feedback.

Caloundra does sound as though its got as many positives as we first thought... now all we've gotta do is jump through the hoops to get there!

Wishing you all well with where ever you'er heading....!

Adam & Lauren

Thank you all for your help, advise and feedback.

Caloundra does sound as though its got as many positives as we first thought... now all we've gotta do is jump through the hoops to get there!

Wishing you all well with where ever you'er heading....!

Adam & Lauren

Thanks for this thread, its very nice hearing all this about Caloundra and brings back great memories of our rekkie. Very pleased it confirmed your positive thoughts of such a lovely place.

Hope all goes smoothly for you both. Let us know how it goes. :cute:

Gina

• 1 month later...
I live there :) it is a genuinely excellent area, but don't tell everyone, don't want it getting over populated lol

If we go up the coast from Redcliffe we go to and love Caloundra, beaches to suit everyone, very laid back, and not so {now I will get kicked again** snotty as other seaside towns further up the coast! Some lovely restaurants etc fab Fish n chips! can be a lttle steep and hilly. If you have work there or close by a great place to live. Not one bit glitzy!

A place to live, work, and feel you are always on holiday!

I would say it would take you about 1 .5 hours from Brisbane to travel comfortably.

:smilexmas:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest waynenicola

Hi Guys, we are going over for a reccie on the 31st Dec 08 and will be looking around caloundra and other places close so will let every body know when we get back. I am a carpenter so will check out the work situation as i have a friend who has been there for a year now.

Cherz

Wayne

Archived