Applying for defacto spouse visa in Australia

Guest Faye&Matt

Guest Faye&Matt

My partner and I were preparing to apply for the defacto spouse visa whilst in the UK but are wondering about whether it might be worthwhile applying whilst in Australia as we both want to leave here sooner rather than later. Is it possible to go to Australia for a holiday on a 3 month visa and then apply whilst over there? Is that acceptable? I know there is a spouse visa you can apply for whilst in Australia but is that for people like us or more for people who are there because they are refugees (or something like that) with an Australian spouse or who are working over there and then met their partner?

Thanks

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ I know there is a spouse visa you can apply for whilst in Australia but is that for people like us or more for people who are there because they are refugees (or something like that) with an Australian spouse or who are working over there and then met their partner?

Spouses & defactos can apply onshore (in oz) whilst on a 3 month holiday visa - i did this myself on a spouse visa & also have a friend who has done this on a defacto visa.

But please do NOT class me as a refugee !!!:no:

Guest Faye&Matt

Hi Stuju, thank you so much for your reply. That is great news. I had previously thought they seemed harder to get as you wouldn't apply whilst on a holiday as you wouldn't have all the paperwork, proof of relationship, etc with you on a holiday. If you and your friend both got visas granted whilst in Aus it seems that they are as easy to get as if applying in the UK so thats good news.

We'd originally planned to go in early Feb but now just want to get over there ASAP as had enough of it over here! lol

No worries,

To be honest i just took all my paperwork with me (as married to an aussie citizen) i knew i would be applying onshore, just send for your uk police check before you leave the uk & have it sent back to a relative at a uk address so they can forward to you.

if you need any help, just yell

Good luck

stuju

Guest beckerboodles
My partner and I were preparing to apply for the defacto spouse visa whilst in the UK but are wondering about whether it might be worthwhile applying whilst in Australia as we both want to leave here sooner rather than later. Is it possible to go to Australia for a holiday on a 3 month visa and then apply whilst over there? Is that acceptable? I know there is a spouse visa you can apply for whilst in Australia but is that for people like us or more for people who are there because they are refugees (or something like that) with an Australian spouse or who are working over there and then met their partner?

Thanks

Hi there, I am about to apply for my Defacto spouse visa in Perth WA, I have my appointment on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

But i was same as you, preparing my application in UK but we had to come over here 2 months earlier, so i came in on a working holiday visa, I was going back to UK in Nov to apply but got told i can apply from here, so i confirmed this with immi and they said i could, so i am and have changed my return flight to sometime later when i want to visit family.

My advice is to be careful what you bring in with you as you can get questioned by imigration when you come in and if you have everything bar the kitchen sink in your luggage looks sus, last time i came over i got questioned after i had gone through passport controll, but this time when i had all my story straight and planned what i was gonna say and felt really uptight about it ( and probably looked nervous) they just let me walk through! funny eh?

Also have a return flight booked, or at least one that takes you out of oz, cos without it they may question why you have no onward travel booked etc if you are on holiday.

I got my poilce checks done in UK and had all my evidence shipped over as my parents were keeping it for me, I got my meds done here, and it was pretty easy.

I'll let you know how i go.

Take care and good luck

Bec

Guest beckerboodles

Hi,

As promised i am letting you all know how i got on.

On monday we lodged our de-facto spouse visa application in person in Perth WA

The CO was really lovely, said she didn't think she would need all the evidence we brought in, and asked for certain things and i gave them to her out of the file, She looked at our evidence and only took some of it, she said she would note that she had seen the rest of the stuff and she was more than happy to grant us the visa pretty quickly, probably this week!

Well Today i got the letter telling me that she had granted my visa! yipeee

applied on 3rd Nov granted on 4th Nov - so pretty dran quick!

anyone want to know anything feel free to ask i'd love to help!

Bec:jiggy:

• 2 months later...

Hi Bec,

I found your messages very helpful - I was wondering whether you'd be able to give me a bit more advice?!!

My boyfriend is Australian, and we are planning to move back to Perth together towards the end of this year. We have been living together since last November, so would need to wait until this November in order to gather the correct amount of info.

What information and documentation did you take to Perth with you? What did they ask you for? I want to make sure that during the next few months I get everything that I could possibly be asked for so that we have the best chance of being granted with a defacto visa.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Many thanks,

Billy

yeah i have heard that you can apply in australia on a 3 month tourist visa, but that is interesting that you say becareful of what you take with you, i just came back from oz 23rd december after seeing my fiance for 2 and a half months on an eta visa, and am going back in 2 and a half weeks, so we can book our wedding and can spend valetines day together and also i wanted to be there for his birthday. i have a return flight i am only going to be there for 4 and a half weeks, and when i return i am going to apply for a prospective marriage visa. i wanted to start taking some of my clothes(winter gear) and my belongings but do you think immi would refuse me entry because they are suspisious i wouldnt be doing anything wrong??

Guest Craigmcc13

Hi there, The info you guys are giving is great and im happy there are so many people glad to help other's move.

Im looking to apply for my visa to perth as my Mrs has lived there all her life but im in england and the last time i saw her was 2005 when i was on a 12 month working visa there....but were going to make a go of things and i was wondering who i get in touch with to make the first application in england and how i do it, What will i be asked and do you think they will turn me away because iv not seen her for so long?

Any help on the above question's would be amasing,

.Craig

My Australian partner and I are migrating back to Queensland in May 09. (Cannot wait!!!) We have been together 18months but for purposes of applying for a defacto visa by May 09 we will have 13 months proof of our conhabiting etc with the necessary documentation.

However I am planning on entering Australia on a 3 months ETA and then lodging my defacto visa application the first week we arrive. The only thing we are uncertain about at this stage is:

1) Do I need a return ticket to get through immigration? Or if I dont have a return ticket and they question me do I tell them the truth about the visa application or do I say that I may extend my travel and thus am waiting to purchase a ticket at a later date?

2) What is the actual cost of an onshore defacto visa is it $895 or $2100 am a bit confused with the information provided on the immigration website.

Would love to hear from anyone than can help us through the mase!!!!

x:notworthy:

Guest cassyjane

hi all,

im an aussie and my bf is from the uk. we are in the uk at the minute and have been told a few different things!

1. does my bf need to add in a police ck, health ck and character ref from with the application or wait till we are asked for it??

2. how long fo our personal statements need to be for the visa?? how much detail do they need to know??

if you could help it would be great x

hi all,

im an aussie and my bf is from the uk. we are in the uk at the minute and have been told a few different things!

1. does my bf need to add in a police ck, health ck and character ref from with the application or wait till we are asked for it??

2. how long fo our personal statements need to be for the visa?? how much detail do they need to know??

if you could help it would be great x

Hi again Cassy jane (I replied to one of your posts in another thread),

Firstly, if you can I'd suggest creating a new thread with all your questions on, as sometimes they can get missed when just added to another older thread.

Anyway, not sure if you have the answers to these yet or not... but....

1. I'm assuming your BF is the one applying for the De facto visa right? If so, then yes he'll need a UK police check. Plus if he has been in Australia for a cumulitive amount of 12 months or more (within the last 10 years) he'll also need an Aussie one. Yes he'll need a health check (this includes an xray and medical check) and yes he'll need a character reference form filled in. (Form 80 I think?)

2. I would include as much information in your personal statements as possible. My OH and I did individual ones (though you CAN do them together if you wish) and they were both about 2 pages long. We pretty much just inbcluded what information they asked for.. ie how we met, when we moved in together, why we are applying, how our lives work together (eg financially, emotionally etc). The more information you include to show you are in a loving and committed relationship the better. Some people on here have said they made their statements completely factual and not mushy or lovey or anything, I guess its completely up to you how you write it in the end.

OK I hope this helps. Again, if you have any more questions, just go to the main thread page for any forum (eg Migration Issues) and in the top left there is a 'Creat New Thread' button, so click on that and type any more questions you have there as you;ll get loads more replies then.

Cheers,

Bexta.

• 1 month later...
Guest SkyeStephen09
Hi there, I am about to apply for my Defacto spouse visa in Perth WA, I have my appointment on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes.

But i was same as you, preparing my application in UK but we had to come over here 2 months earlier, so i came in on a working holiday visa, I was going back to UK in Nov to apply but got told i can apply from here, so i confirmed this with immi and they said i could, so i am and have changed my return flight to sometime later when i want to visit family.

My advice is to be careful what you bring in with you as you can get questioned by imigration when you come in and if you have everything bar the kitchen sink in your luggage looks sus, last time i came over i got questioned after i had gone through passport controll, but this time when i had all my story straight and planned what i was gonna say and felt really uptight about it ( and probably looked nervous) they just let me walk through! funny eh?

Also have a return flight booked, or at least one that takes you out of oz, cos without it they may question why you have no onward travel booked etc if you are on holiday.

I got my poilce checks done in UK and had all my evidence shipped over as my parents were keeping it for me, I got my meds done here, and it was pretty easy.

Take care and good luck

Bec

Hi Bec,

That's great to hear about your Visa - Congrats!!

My finace is English and I am Australian and have been together 2 years, lived together a total of approx 15-16 months. We do not have any joint assets/mortgages/leases etc as we have always lived in shared accomm (due to lask of finances, which is due to visa application!).

We are engaged and applying for our visa this month!!!:confused:

~You said above that she didn't take all of your evidence and that she was so confident to pretty much grant it there on the spot. What evidence did you have??

Could you give me a brief list so that I can check it against what we have, and therefore get some idea of our chances??

I really appreciate you're help!

Skye & Stephen :cute:

Guest SkyeStephen09

Quote:

Originally Posted by beckerboodles viewpost.gif

Take care and good luck

Bec

Hi Bec,

That's great to hear about your Visa - Congrats!!

My finace is English and I am Australian and have been together 2 years, lived together a total of approx 15-16 months. We do not have any joint assets/mortgages/leases etc as we have always lived in shared accomm (due to lask of finances, which is due to visa application!).

We are engaged and applying for our visa this month!!!

~You said above that she didn't take all of your evidence and that she was so confident to pretty much grant it there on the spot. What evidence did you have??

Could you give me a brief list so that I can check it against what we have, and therefore get some idea of our chances??

I really appreciate you're help!

Skye & Stephen :cute:

• 8 months later...
Guest beckerboodles

Skye and Steven,

so sorry i did not get back to you with answers, I have not been on here for ages.

Looks like you did ok without my help! CONGRATULATIONS! feels great dosn't it?

• 4 months later...
Guest sydney2010
Hi,

The CO was really lovely, said she didn't think she would need all the evidence we brought in, and asked for certain things and i gave them to her out of the file, She looked at our evidence and only took some of it, she said she would note that she had seen the rest of the stuff and she was more than happy to grant us the visa pretty quickly, probably this week!

Hi Bec,

Firstly can I just say congratulations to you, I wish you all the happiness in the world and hope it's going well.

I have just returned to the UK after going to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa.

While I was in Sydney I met someone and I have been living with him since late November. I met him late July 2009 and we have evidence of a holiday in August but unfortunately we don't have bills or bank accounts so I'm unsure how we can prove we've been living together since November. My flatmate could vouch that I moved out and showed I stopped paying rent if that was any help?

I recently came back to the UK as my visa expired so am trying to see what options we possibly have...

If you could offer any advice at all that would be fantastic,

Best Wishes,

Sydney2010

• 4 months later...
Guest JustBrooksey
No worries,

To be honest i just took all my paperwork with me (as married to an aussie citizen) i knew i would be applying onshore, just send for your uk police check before you leave the uk & have it sent back to a relative at a uk address so they can forward to you.

if you need any help, just yell

Good luck

stuju

Hi Stuju-

Can I ask when you were onshore and applied while on a 3 month holiday visa- did you have a return flight booked? Also in the countries visited in the last 10 years do you have to put every trip you've ever been on in 10 YEARS?

Thanks

Guest oggie1

Hi

Just reading a few of your post.Just wondering if anyone can help i am australian my husband has pr we are moving to Australia on the 16th August. Ihave a daughter who has 2 children to her partner of 10yrs.My daughter wants to move once we are settled and wants to do her visa in Australia the problem is her partner had a 5 month prison sentence but only did 2 and a half months for driving affences do you think this will stop him being granted his visa.Rowena

• 1 month later...

hi guys i have a question that is slightly different to chain above. myself and my partner will have been together for 20months in january 2011 (12months for de facto purposes) and we are applying in jan 2011, however my partner is going back to perth to visit her family when i will be lodging my application for the De facto visa here in the u.k. does anyone know if my partner has to be here with me in the u.k when i lodge the application? i have asked a visa advisor but thought i would look for first hand knowledge. thanks for the help.

Nope. She doesn't need to be with you. If I understand what you've described:

1. You are both living together in the UK.

2. You plan to submit your defacto visa application in Jan 2011.

3. Your partner will be travelling back to Australia in Jan 2011

4. Whilst your visa is processed you will remain in the UK.

If this is correct it should be fine. Although I'd make sure you have evidence of living together right up until the moment she leaves. i.e. no gaps.

Hi

Just reading a few of your post.Just wondering if anyone can help i am australian my husband has pr we are moving to Australia on the 16th August. Ihave a daughter who has 2 children to her partner of 10yrs.My daughter wants to move once we are settled and wants to do her visa in Australia the problem is her partner had a 5 month prison sentence but only did 2 and a half months for driving affences do you think this will stop him being granted his visa.Rowena

a five month prison sentence wouldn't exclude him. Which visa are they going to apply for?

hi guys i have a question that is slightly different to chain above. myself and my partner will have been together for 20months in january 2011 (12months for de facto purposes) and we are applying in jan 2011, however my partner is going back to perth to visit her family when i will be lodging my application for the De facto visa here in the u.k. does anyone know if my partner has to be here with me in the u.k when i lodge the application? i have asked a visa advisor but thought i would look for first hand knowledge. thanks for the help.

Make sure you keep a log of calls, emails, texts, letters and anything else you can show that you are still together. Trust me they want to see this info......

I went over last yr for 3 months and have just lodge our application and our case officer wanted proof that we kept in contact for that time, just glad Tracy keeps everything

• 1 month later...
Hi,

hi,

wow sounds like you guys got it quite easy :) i am aussie and my boyfriend is english is planning to move out and we are going to apply for defacto, im guessing you both have to be in the same country when you apply? as im going home about 3 months earlier than he is and he was hoping to apply w

once ive gone . do you have any idea?how much did it cost you guys?

i appreciate your help :0)

• 4 months later...
Guest Phethon
[ I know there is a spouse visa you can apply for whilst in Australia but is that for people like us or more for people who are there because they are refugees (or something like that) with an Australian spouse or who are working over there and then met their partner?

Spouses & defactos can apply onshore (in oz) whilst on a 3 month holiday visa - i did this myself on a spouse visa & also have a friend who has done this on a defacto visa.

But please do NOT class me as a refugee !!!:no:

Hi, I noticed you've been very helpful on here...I met my boyfriend in Sep 2010 and i want to go live out there with him as soon as i can, as we've spent a little time apart and don't wana wait any longer! I'm over the age for working visa so we thought i could go out there on a long stay (my boyfriend will support me) until we've been together 12mths and can prove our relationship. Then apply for the spouse/defacto visa..what do you think.....? will this work for us?

Really appreciate any advice you can give us

K

• 5 months later...
Guest Amanda Holley

Hi there, i met my partner in Victoria just as i was leaving Oz in Jan 2010. We corresponded for 10 mths and then I went over n we spent 2 and a half months together, then i returned to UK, he has just visited for 3 wks in UK and we are committed to be together in Australia. I am wondering how best to do this. In order to get a defacto Spouse visa do you have to have spent 12mths living together? I want to go and live with Paul asap.. but want to be able to work straight away. Is the partner visa a better option?

Archived