Kangaroos heading for extinction

cartertucker

Hi, would you please take a moment to have a look at the following & if you want to do your bit to help, please 'sign' the petition. (it only takes a few moments)

Many thanks, Kelly :smile:

Moratorium urgently needed: Kangaroos heading for Extinction Petition

Still in the uk obvious roos are all over wa nt everywhere you will find when the silly buggas hit your car Ive heard polar bears are becoming extinct cant comment have not been there

M from K

i saw a prog last night ( wild down under) which said in 2007 the WWF ( world wildlife fund not the wrestlers;) ) said there are over 10 million roos in OZ. find it hard to reconcile that with extinction.

Guest earlswood

I hate these guys who think it is fun to all go out with these huge spotlights on their trucks at night and shoot the roos and just leave them lying on the ground wven with their joeys...:no:

Guest austibeach

Read different reports, you will get different statistics.

Kangaroo Industry Assocn of Australia - Background Info

Certainly all animal populations should be monitored, as we don't have a good record of protecting species in any country, but I would seriously doubt either Grey Kangaroos or Red Kangaroos are in imminent danger of extinction. As for some of the other forty-odd species of Kangaroo, well they may well be declining in numbers.

Eric.

It's hard to believe. South of Perth we saw 60 roos in one field and more in the next. Up in Hervey Bay, north of Brisbane, we saw whole families of them and hillsides moving with them at dusk. Still I suppose you can't tell the bigger picture from one small area.

Whilst of course one would be hesitant to disagree with a proper scientific report I would have to say that it is a load of baloney. The Eastern Greys are in almost plague proportions in this part of the world and seriously need culling. You need a licence to kill them and property owners arent able to get a licence to kill enough of them from what I can gather. The drought is making their lives much more difficult and whereas 20 years ago they were out in the bush and you never saw them, they are becoming increasingly urbanised - not 1km from the centre of Canberra you can usually see a bunch of them on the slopes of Mt Ainslie. The drought has forced them to move from the more remote areas into places where there is water so they are more visible - in suburban Canberra we have a regular night visitor to our garden. Where my son lives, I dont know about fewer than 5 per sq km, I recently saw about 200 on a couple of acres and that was the norm - as I said, a plague!

Guest spottymercedes
The Eastern Greys are in almost plague proportions in this part of the world and seriously need culling.

I bet thats what the poor things think about all the humans building on what was once their home.

Roos heading for extinction??? That's a tad hard to believe?

It is basically true that the fauna in Aus is under threat generally from introduced species (including us :smile:).

I wouldn't worry about Roos too much but we can all improve things to a point by controlling pets better. Watched the neighbours kitten chewing on a skink in my back yard the other day. Nice neighbours, nice kitten, but I'm quite fond of skinks too. They haven't evolved to evade cats, won't be too long before little bastard has chewed the lot. :smile:

I bet thats what the poor things think about all the humans building on what was once their home.

LOL, yes, well if kangaroos could think, that is probably what they would think. However, there is still plenty of space for Skippy to hop around, the miserly little smidgen occupied by humans is probably not the issue!

Guest John Sydney

Rubbish - this report doesn't mention there is a major drought at the moment. Of course the Roo popuation is lower a couple years ago they were in plague proportions wait until the drought breaks - and see what happens

What I object to more than any thing else is they way these greenie groups twist reports to suck in well meaning people in this case people read this report - "Shock horror - I sign to stop the Roos dying out" - because they have read a twisted report

Its the same with the Polar bears 2 of the stupid things drown this year crossing the ice which is nature taking its course - But then the cry goes up "Gobal warming is killing off the Polar bears - along with a sob story of how the bears drown" But its a lie the true which is easy enough to find is in 1945 there was about 2500 - 5000 polar bears today even after the two drown is 25000

Sorry my rant for today but greenies get up my nose for the outright lies they tell -

Guest The Pom Queen
Whilst of course one would be hesitant to disagree with a proper scientific report I would have to say that it is a load of baloney. The Eastern Greys are in almost plague proportions in this part of the world and seriously need culling. You need a licence to kill them and property owners arent able to get a licence to kill enough of them from what I can gather. The drought is making their lives much more difficult and whereas 20 years ago they were out in the bush and you never saw them, they are becoming increasingly urbanised - not 1km from the centre of Canberra you can usually see a bunch of them on the slopes of Mt Ainslie. The drought has forced them to move from the more remote areas into places where there is water so they are more visible - in suburban Canberra we have a regular night visitor to our garden. Where my son lives, I dont know about fewer than 5 per sq km, I recently saw about 200 on a couple of acres and that was the norm - as I said, a plague!

Quoll you are quite right in that they have multiplied so much over recent years that Canberra now has three times as many kangaroos as inhabitants.

Victoria is also another place where there are overwhelming numbers of Kangaroos.

However, saying this I work for Wildlife Victoria and we are forever trying to stop the culls.

The animals that will be extinct in 20 years time if we don't do anything is the wombat, and probably less than 20 years for the Northern Hairy Nose and I think priority needs to be given to these poor animals.

We have already lost the Thylacine and DSE are now adding the Dingo to the threatened species list.

Quoll you are quite right in that they have multiplied so much over recent years that Canberra now has three times as many kangaroos as inhabitants.

Victoria is also another place where there are overwhelming numbers of Kangaroos.

However, saying this I work for Wildlife Victoria and we are forever trying to stop the culls.

The animals that will be extinct in 20 years time if we don't do anything is the wombat, and probably less than 20 years for the Northern Hairy Nose and I think priority needs to be given to these poor animals.

We have already lost the Thylacine and DSE are now adding the Dingo to the threatened species list.

I agree about the wombat - I have seen a distressingly large number of road kill wombats in the last few years. More echnidnas on the road sides too - and they really dont have any road sense at all.

Cant believe the dingos are threatened though.

Guest The Pom Queen

Unfortunately Dingoes are mating with the wild dog so although there are lots of Dingoe crosses there are not many pure bred ones out there. The protection is for DSE Victoria, I don't know for other states.

The further out of the cities you get, the more kangeroos you find, and ask any of the locals, they are simply a pest.

There are more than 20 million in Australia (more kangeroos than humans) and where they get the idea that they are heading toward extinction I dont really know.

Hi there,

Thankyou for reading & posting on my thread & a massive thanks to all that have supported, taken the time & signed the petition :cute:

As a few have expressed an interest in this subject I thought i'd share with you where I got the petition from in the first place, I am a member of a charity called 'Viva' & this is what they sent me...

* SaveTheKangaroo.com

Please be warned *there are some distressing pictures of kangaroos, so please dont look if this will cause you too much upset, it is however, a sad, cruel fact of life...hence, please, anyone that hasnt already, think about signing the petition.

Kelly :smile:

I agree about the wombat - I have seen a distressingly large number of road kill wombats in the last few years. More echnidnas on the road sides too - and they really dont have any road sense at all.

Havent most australians got no road sense seriously did an environment course for the OU and it puts it into perspective over 90,000,000 species have become extinct but us humans only think about the cuddly furry ones, there are the micto organisms up the chain because they are small and nasty nobody bothers but the nice cuddly furry ones hope the roos dont my dog loves it. On a similar note doing the tourist bit with daughter. Seen alot of the sheep tour trips near fremantle, my they are popular

Mally from Kally

Hi there,

Thankyou for reading & posting on my thread & a massive thanks to all that have supported, taken the time & signed the petition :cute:

As a few have expressed an interest in this subject I thought i'd share with you where I got the petition from in the first place, I am a member of a charity called 'Viva' & this is what they sent me...

* SaveTheKangaroo.com

Please be warned *there are some distressing pictures of kangaroos, so please dont look if this will cause you too much upset, it is however, a sad, cruel fact of life...hence, please, anyone that hasnt already, think about signing the petition.

Kelly :smile:

s

See you are heading for Queensland in for a shock where pig hunting is the state pastime you are in for a big awakening

Mally from Kally

Archived