Which state?

Guest brummie

Guest brummie

I can't believe it! Got a positive result today on my skills assessment after just 2 months,not the 5 months which was stated! So many things to do now, I don't know where to start! I'm going to apply for a SIR visa as an architect but can't decide on which state to choose; South Australia, Queensland or Victoria. Queensland seems warm and nice but maybe slightly lacking in culture and diversity, South Australia gracious but a bit of a backwater, Victoria a cultural and architectural gem but with the bad weather that I'd like to leave behind in the UK. As an architect I think I'd prefer Victoria but as a person raised in Sweden with its long cold dark winters I'd prefer Queensland. Then again, as a SIR visa holder Adeleaide would be the only city of a decent size available during the first years of settlement. Any advice would be most appreciated! I've finished a whole bottle of champagne tonight, will probably have a terrible hangover tomorrow, but what the heck! I PASSED! Haven't been this happy since I graduated from architecture school! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Guest Missiemo
I can't believe it! Got a positive result today on my skills assessment after just 2 months,not the 5 months which was stated! So many things to do now, I don't know where to start! I'm going to apply for a SIR visa as an architect but can't decide on which state to choose; South Australia, Queensland or Victoria. Queensland seems warm and nice but maybe slightly lacking in culture and diversity, South Australia gracious but a bit of a backwater, Victoria a cultural and architectural gem but with the bad weather that I'd like to leave behind in the UK. As an architect I think I'd prefer Victoria but as a person raised in Sweden with its long cold dark winters I'd prefer Queensland. Then again, as a SIR visa holder Adeleaide would be the only city of a decent size available during the first years of settlement. Any advice would be most appreciated! I've finished a whole bottle of champagne tonight, will probably have a terrible hangover tomorrow, but what the heck! I PASSED! Haven't been this happy since I graduated from architecture school! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PLease do not be put off by this myth that the weather in Victoria is bad, far from it, we have had a very hot summer, hottest temp's at 40 degrees, we have the most beautiful spring days, average temp's 23 - 28 sometimes higher, and the winters are not bad, mixed bag really but not as bad as you think.

Come to Victoria it is beautiful and lacks nothing.

Good Luck with the rest of the application, hope the hangover is not to bad.

Mo

Guest brummie

Hi Missiemo,

thanks for enlightening me! I read in a Lonely Planet guide that Victoria's winters can be "extremely cold", but I suppose that was written by an Australian...I'm not so bothered about the cold, more by the endless grey damp winters in the UK which can be very depressing. I need a bit of sun! Are winters in Victoria sunnier than in the UK?

Hi Missiemo,

thanks for enlightening me! I read in a Lonely Planet guide that Victoria's winters can be "extremely cold", ...

Maybe 4 days of frost per year at most where I am (West of Melbourne)... but there is snow in the mountains if you want to go skiing...which you won't get in QLD.

..Winters are typically 10C-15C days with overnight lows of about 6C...and winter is short.... Spring and Autumn are just superb in Vic.

Guest Missiemo
Hi Missiemo,

thanks for enlightening me! I read in a Lonely Planet guide that Victoria's winters can be "extremely cold", but I suppose that was written by an Australian...I'm not so bothered about the cold, more by the endless grey damp winters in the UK which can be very depressing. I need a bit of sun! Are winters in Victoria sunnier than in the UK?

Hi

Just as Fraser says the winters are quite short, we we arrived in winter last year we had three frosts for the whole of the winter so not so bad.

The winters are much more sunny.

Take Care

Mo

Guest brummie

Thanks Fraser and Mo for your info! I believe you have convinced me that Victoria is the place to go - couldn't really see any bad points apart from the climate, but if winters are short and mild (from a North European point of view) I'm definitely heading your way! :D

Archived