Have you suffered sunburn

TheBrammies

I suppose most of us who live here get burnt now and again, usually because we do not apply often enough during a day in the sun or at the beach.

Sunburn is sneaky here you get brown just hanging the clothes in the garden, walking around and I often forget and don't put on sunscreen and that is the way to skin cancer unfortunately.

Guest earlswood
due to the different climate in Australia how many off you have suffered sunburn due to lack of suncream seeing has we Brits are famous for being tough(not) and not using it over here.

Do not try and be "tough" over here or you will probably end up with skin cancer in later life because of the big ozone hole over Oz the rays are more dangerous than back in the UK....you will learn to slip-slop-slap every time you go out in the sun... kids MUST be covered up with a hat and t-shirt al all times....be covered up and be safe :jiggy:

Guest The Pom Queen

Our first summer here we went down to the beach and I put sun cream everywhere but my back, we were only on the beach 2 hours but I ended up at the doctors with 2nd degree burns, never again. The schools are great because if your children don't arrive with a sun hat and cream they have to stay in at breaks.

Yes I did and to my shame so did the kids. We'd only been here a few days when we were invited out for the morning - we all wore cream ... we then got invited to lunch and said yes. We arrived home mid afternoon. We hadn't expected to be out so long and hadn't thought to take extra cream with us. Lesson learned, now we always have cream in the car/bag, hats on and the kids wear rashies (may have spelt it wrong), if on the beach or in the pool.

Ali

Guest earlswood
Our first summer here we went down to the beach and I put sun cream everywhere but my back, we were only on the beach 2 hours but I ended up at the doctors with 2nd degree burns, never again. The schools are great because if your children don't arrive with a sun hat and cream they have to stay in at breaks.

Lots of new Brits make that mistake, due to the big ozone hole over Australia the rays are much stronger and deadly, if you do go out in it for more than an hour wear a hat and long sleeved t-shirt, I do not wear shorts when working outside anymore....better safe than sorry.

Guest earlswood
first time i came here in 03/04 i got the worst sunburn you could imagine, took weeks to heal and i've got loads of moles now where it happened!!!

You either need to be sensible or learn the lesson the hard way!!

Thats why the shorts have gone back in the cupboard,I worked outside when I first came covering up everthing except my legs which were covered in sunblock, at lunchtime some guy said "mate the back of your legs are glowing" my legs were already brown from walking in the UK, but in 3 hours with sunblock on they were bright red, had to have 4 days off in pain.....do not wear shorts in the midday sun.:no:

Archived