Police check - does a record from 10 years ago matter?

Guest ria_w

Hi,

Bit of a dodgy question, my husband had alot of problems when he was younger, his mother threw him out at the age of 9 and inevitabley he got into the wrong crowd. They fed him and let him sleep in their cars etc, but in return it turned out that he had to do 'favours' for them.

He hasn't got a record for violence or anything, just was made drive without a license (was made to take someone somewhere), he hasn't done anything since I've met him, married him and had kids (he didn't need to), the thing he was convicted of was back in 1997. Will this stop him from being allowed into the country? If so, how long would we need to wait?

Thanks for any advice, this is my main concern and is stressing me out!

hI rIA

we have been advised by our agent to declare everything if it comes up during your police check and you have not said anything i'm not sure what would happen to be fair.

We are just now at the second stage of the application filling in some questionairres so our agent can fill in forms etc we have had to declare stuff OH did in the 80's such as criminal damage and drunken disorderly have been told we shoud be ok.

Have a look here its our agents website they let you ask all kinds of questions and they will answer them online these are ones that have all ready been asked by people who have an issue around this area. Look under immigration faq and then the police and medical section its really useful.

http://overseas-emigration.co.uk/immigration_faq

Hope this helps

Kaye :D

Guest uksniper

If you don't declare it then they will question your integrity even though it is a spent conviction.

Honesty is the best policy.

Thanks guys! We haven't filled the forms in yet, so will be sure to tell them. If they have any questions about it, then I'm sure they would consider the mitigating circumstances and see that at the time, hubby had no choice really.

I suppose they have 2 choices, if we try and they say no, then we'll be devastated! But he's never done anything directly at people (such as violence or armed robbery) so we should be fine, fingers crossed!! 8)

I think things over 10 years do come back on your police check, so do put it down on your form - If you're using an agent then they'll be able to tell you if you should put any additional information.

People have still got their visas and had things come up on their police checks.

Ali

Thanks Ali!

I've contacted an agent to find out how much they would charge, I know we can do it ourselves but its a big thing I'd rather get right first time! From what I can gather, it shouldn't be a problem as long as we are honest, I'm not in the habit of lying anyway, doesn't sit right!

Guest surfersi

hi,

IMO no, my first police clearance did not show anything despite being under the the time limit for rehibilitation ( after certain period 3, 5 yrs certain misdemeanors will clear), I was then requested a further police clearance cert as the original was 10 mths old. This time it did show my misdemeanor although it should't of done - I tryed to quiz uk police all I ascertained is that the ofence was put on their system in 2006, despite occuring 1998. Trying to get them to rectify the matter was a nightmare, so instead I sent the police clearance with the offence and a long explanation, advising that it was a silly mistake in my youth etc. No, problem - in fact they didn't really seem to mind. I believe it would raise an eyebrow is you had serious violent past. BTW my was for punching a guy.

hope this helps

Hi,

This all makes me feel so much better, hubbys offences were all petty (I say all, he was in trouble for a few years, through his teens, and only has a few convictions), mostly driving without a license or without insurance or whilst disqualified, nothing for violence. He did end up in a fight once but the person he wacked dropped the charges, he only wacked them because he had his newborn baby in his arms and they came at him so I don't think he would've been done anyway. :D

Thanks for all your help!!

Ria

• 4 months later...

hi all

why is the police check at the end of the visa application proses surly this would save alot of time and worry for people with a record to get this sorted at the first stage of application instead of going through 8 months of hell just to be told you cant go because of your criminal record.

i say this as i too have a criminal record quite a long one as well :skeptical: i had a quick chat with an agent and i explained that this is the only thing I'm worried about otherwise I'd be more than happy to hand over £3000 she asked what id been done for : driving (you name it Ive been done for it no insurance two no tax no mot several times) drugs more than once(minimal amounts) burglary broke into a school to steal paper and pens when i was very young:goofy: i cant remember the rest its been that long

any way she said as long as you haven't been to nick for more than 2 yrs you should be fine she also asked me how much i was fined (hmmm why did she ask me this) any way any thing i ever got nicked for i got a fine.

she went on to say she got one guy his visa even though he had 17 offenses and had been to prison for 12 months.

was she just saying this to get my money knowing full well I'd fail.

i suppose i should send off for my record and get someone in the know to look at it in detail for me.

this would put my mind at rest and not make me feel totally stupid for handing over £3000 to an agent

any help would be great or even a little reassurance

thanks

Guest Taz01

Hi there,

If you have served more than 12 months in prison, cumulatively, you may not get a visa, likewise, if your general character isn't good, likewise, but if you have had a good few years of good behaviour then it should be ok. They treat every case separately. My partner had his visa approved today and he had a slight blip on his record. Email them directly if you are concerned and they will direct you to the right information.

Regards,

Eva

Hi there,

If you have served more than 12 months in prison, cumulatively, you may not get a visa, likewise, if your general character isn't good, likewise, but if you have had a good few years of good behaviour then it should be ok. They treat every case separately. My partner had his visa approved today and he had a slight blip on his record. Email them directly if you are concerned and they will direct you to the right information.

Regards,

Eva

thanks taz

is it true if you fail on your criminal record that you are banned from entering oz at any time even for a holiday

thanks

Guest Taz01

If you have a police record you are not supposed to apply for the electronic visitor visa- you are supposed to apply for a visitor visa through the proper visa route- if you are honest about it all, and you haven't spent more than 12 months in jail, you should be ok. If you lie on a ETA application and they discover it, then they can deny you a visa based on that I believe. Its all about honesty. Have you spent more than 12 months in jail cumulatively? (You can PM me if you want!)

Eva

Moz, Your police check only cost £10 why not send off for it now then get another one later for the application then you'll know exactly what comes up on it.

I think they don't want you to lie and if you're found out it doesn't matter how long your here for they revoke your visa. I do know that if you apply for citizenship here they do a country wide police check here too.

Ali

• 4 years later...

Hi Moz we are just waiting for our agent to get back to us..my OH s CRB police checks have come back :-((( what he didnt do was tell our agent because he forgot!! Long story but he was arrested a few times because of his evil ex wife !! ( They split up in 2004) she will stop at nothing to hurt him...he got a caution in 2008 ( ex wife got him arrested for not answering his phone he was with his children they all was asleep ,he s a heavy sleeper and they couldnt get an answer at his house so smashed his front door in!! The police then arrested him ( god know s what his ex said to them!!) The police left his ex wife with his children in his house! he spent a night in the cell he came home to find his ex took his money, cd s, and his car cd/radio front! along with over things..she really is a nasty person!! in 2004 he got arrested for pushing her out of his personal space he got a charge and a fine for £100 ..The thing is he s never hurt anyone, ive know him 5 yrs we have our arguements more so with the stress of the visa s and his ex but he s not

violent..I know what his ex is like she allowing us to add his 3 children to our visa s in may 2011 but then 4mths later when her boyfriend dumps her because again she got him arrested!! she takes us back to court to stop the children going on our visa s..why would she!! The thing is i can see now why he would have pushed her..Even the children want to leave to move to OZ with us..she s told the kids they can go at 16!! the reason she wont allow the children to go now is the money with her tax credits and my OH money he gives her she would loss £700 a mth!! sorry for the moan, just hope we get our visa s we are booked in for medicals on friday all 6 of us ( my son and his 3 children) wendy x

Archived