How well did your children settle in Oz school?

THORPES

I have 2 sons 6 & 7 moved to sunshine coast and they go to state school. They get called english or scottish?? which they think is funny. We are from west sussex not scotland. moved begining of Jan 09 and i have nothing but good things to say about the school they go to. It is different from UK they are alot more relaxed my 7 yr old finds it easy but as they go up they split the groups up. Personally i am thankful it is easy for them to help settle in quicker. As for bullying i think the school would clamp down on it as soon as they knew it was going on.

I assume all the PMing is to protect the kids from having details on an open forumn????

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Emcooper

Sheena, completley understand that its your personal experiences but I must say reading through the thread as a whole it comes across as being a very negative experience! I grew up in Australia and at the end of the day you get bullying everywhere same places its worse than others, its how the school deals with the bullying thats also a big part of it. Bullying should be stamped out and schools should have a very strict policy on this, unfortunatly not all of them do, Im not just talking about in Australia, Im talking about here in the UK too! I hope people find out as much information as they can about the school/s they are interested are putting their children into and dont just rely on the experience of one or 2 families who have had a negative experience. I personally dont think that private schools are necissarily any better either. i went to a public/state school and didnt have any problems personally. i know that just as much negative stuff happens in private schools and public schools! I hope for all those that have already moved that your children have settled in well.

Guest mike and claire

Cheers

I'm sure it's not a major issue and it can't be as bad as some of the schools I've seen over here.....generally I get the feeling it's not a major concern to worry about any more than it would be in the UK. My son is a pretty bright, outgoing and popular lad so I don't really think he will have much problem fitting in......no doubt everywhere is different.

I think the fact that we have all followed this thread and started asking Sheena to PM has perhaps implied that there may be more to worry about than necessary......however it is very sad to think that some people have had negative experiences especially after moving so far away from home, it must be every parents knightmare.

Thanks for your info

Mike

Guest itskaren

I will say again my 11 year old and 8 year old go to Billanook College in Moroolbark (Melbourne). They LOVE the school and cannot wait to go there everyday. It is the best thing we have ever done after months and months of research in the UK we stumbled across this one that was not in the information that I had in the UK.

it just goes to show that things do not always work out as planned. It is just so heartwarming that my children are so happy one of the things we all worry about.

They have been there just over a year now. It is also one school in one the preps, primary and senior school up to year 12 so it means that we won't have to move them again. I highly recommend it!

It is a private school fees about $9k per year. It is worth every cent in my opinion. We could not afford privated education in the UK but is it much more affordable in Australia.

My opinion anyway!

Guest snow white

i have 6 children of which 5 attend school mine have all settled well into state schools they range from prep to primary to high and so far have made friendsand settled without any problems and enjoy their time at school

lesley x

Hello to all worried mothers :-) I would just like to share my experience of the whole school thing. Right, now my son started school in the uk in sep. Of 07. He was bullied big time. We lived in a rural country village, so it should have never happened. He was really shy and NEVER spoke at all.. He was the same at playgroup. They wanted him analyzed by psychologists etc.. Which was all really upsetting. At school He would get pushed over in the playground and he came home one day with scratches down his chest (some bully took 2 fingers and scratched him!! We were due to leave in April for oz but the bullying got so bad that he would be sick in the morning for not wanting to go, so we pulled him out in jan. We were worried about how he'd cope in oz, but now a year on in an oz school and he is a different boy. He started talking to his kindy teacher day 1!! NEVER been bullied has made heaps of friends and is such a bright, confident boy now. He goes to a lovely school, it is private but it's pretty cheap. Moving here has definately been right for us. You can't always go by what you hear. Have a good long look at all your school options and you will probably be just fine :-) hope this helps

Guest 0405delboy

It amazes me that on this website with all its endless posts and threads that this is the first one Ive seen that actually concerns the welfare of the children that are coming here to live! Between people obsessing about how much theyre going to earn and the blind optimism for a 'better life' there doesnt seem to be much of a mention about how the kids will adjust.

Someone has actually posed the question on this thread and the responses are all cloak and dagger. You dont want to post your story on public forum but will give it out in private messages?? Surely you could have just adapted the story.

Either way, theres an underlying dislike of Brits in this country and since we learn so much from our parents, what do YOU think your children will experience day to day? Yes, your kids will be teased about their accent, they will be told to piss off back to where they came from and they will be called whinging Poms!!!!!!!! Pretty much a reflection of what you get on this website!!!!!!!!

Its not all bad but the more delicate of children will have to toughen up!:shocked:

Guest snow white

mine dont get teased about their accent and we are geordies so very northern accent lol but my 13 year old has changed her accent completely now sounds pure oz whether this is due to peer pressure or not im not sure and as for taking the mick, we are the one s who sometimes take the mick out of her ozzie put on accent so i guess we are just as guilty

lesley x

It amazes me that on this website with all its endless posts and threads that this is the first one Ive seen that actually concerns the welfare of the children that are coming here to live! Between people obsessing about how much theyre going to earn and the blind optimism for a 'better life' there doesnt seem to be much of a mention about how the kids will adjust.

Someone has actually posed the question on this thread and the responses are all cloak and dagger. You dont want to post your story on public forum but will give it out in private messages?? Surely you could have just adapted the story.

Either way, theres an underlying dislike of Brits in this country and since we learn so much from our parents, what do YOU think your children will experience day to day? Yes, your kids will be teased about their accent, they will be told to piss off back to where they came from and they will be called whinging Poms!!!!!!!! Pretty much a reflection of what you get on this website!!!!!!!!

Its not all bad but the more delicate of children will have to toughen up!:shocked:

My own personal experience over here is that we have`nt been teased about accents (used to in the South of England tthough) surely if people don`t feel comfortable posting in public, then they are more than entitled to do so by pm?

Perhaps what you see as people obsessing about how much they are going to earn is merely people worrying about whether they will earn enough to support their kids.Ultimately I feel if kids pick up the vibes from parents all to easily - unhappy parents always worrying will result in worrried & unhappy kids. Kids are suprisingly much more robust than we give them credit for - even the more "delicate" ones.

I guess however that everyones experience is different.

Guest Angelcake

I read this post whilst I was back in the UK and just thought I'd share my experience now I'm here.

My son (age 5) has started a brand new school (only just opened). He started school in Sept in the UK and attended for 3 months before coming here to Aus.

I LOVE his new school, its a small state school with only 140 students so far. There are students from all over the world there, Aussie's, Kiwi's, Pom's, South African's - nobody takes the blindest bit of notice of anyone's accent, they're all just kids!!

I help out in the school a few hours a week and just love the school ethos and small, friendly nature.

I'm really happy my son's teacher, she's young, dynamic and really enthusiastic and I'm in awe of the way she can control a class full of 5 yrs olds!! I struggle with just the one!!!

Guest mrsmynoraxis
have pm'd all of the above!

sheena :wubclub:

hi can i get a copy too please... i got a 7 yr old and a 4 yr old thnx :)

Guest bigblufin

Hi Sorry to bother you. But could you pm me about the bullying thread. We have 3 kids who will be 7, 6 & 5. Never really thought about this until I read this thread, now am really worried.

many thanks

paula clark

paulacath2003@yahoo.co.uk

Guest kaztayli

Sheena - could you please pm me too

My children never had to deal with any form of bullying in South Africa and yet now they (both have Scottish accents) are pulled to crap here in the UK - so this is all really new to us!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

My names Sam and I'm new to this site - have had a great time reading thru all the info. My hubby and I have just started our visa application this month so have the long process ahead of us. I was just wondering if SHEENA could find time to get in touch with me regarding the 'schools' thread. I have four children - three sons who are currently aged 14, 12 and 7, and a daughter who is 5. The original thread about bullying at certain schools has worried me a bit and I would like to find out more - especially as my two youngest (my 5 and 7 yr old) have slight speech problems and have been seeing a speech therapist within school time for about a year now. They are quite confident kids but I do not want to move them to the other side of the world and then put them in a school which possibly doesn't have a good reputation or is known for it's bullying - which will then undo all the work we have done with them to bring them on in their speech and keep their confidence up aswell.

We have a friend who moved out to Northern Perth last September and have settled in Tapping, near Joondaloop - she says they love it there. I know You can't tell for certain where exactly you want to settle until you actually get there but at the moment we are currently looking around the Tapping, Butler, woodvale (and surrounding) areas - any suggestions would be a bonus. really appreciate any response

Sam:v_SPIN:

hiya,

have pm'd you!

sheena :wubclub:

Instead of 'pm-ing' everyone, wouldn't it have been quicker and easier to just post reply in the thread?

I looked at this thread with its 90+ replies, hoping to learn something, only to find most are about 'pm-ing'!!!!

Kath:wacko:

Hi

We're about to start the visa process at the end of the year and our boys are currently 9 and 6. I am really worried about the schools situation - please could I have a PM too?? :smile:

I've read all the messages on this thread many weeks ago and tried to remain rational - after all Oz is a big place. However like all mothers on here I too want the best for my kids and to protect them as much as possible. I have four girls 4,5,6 & 7 so I would be grateful if i could also get a PM. Thanks.:shocked:

I can't understand all the worrying and panicing, i don't know what is on the PM but i think the mild hysteria about one post is abit of a worry if you change your whole life plans on someone elses experience. Ask yourself this how many aussies do you know , do they seem like reasonable people that want good things for there kids, Like most parents.

I suspect that most people on this thread are parents wanting the best for there kids, it's one main reason for me moving over here. If there was a problem with something that was effecting my kids you deal with it. I personally detest bullying of any sort and will always say something.

Not sure what i was going to say but alot of this thread has annoyed me so just going on a bit of a rant. This is not aimed at anyone but to end it all My kids school is great they love it, i like all the teachers and they are producing some great manners in kids.

The sun is shining and i am going down the beach as some as i have dropped the kids off.

Kids will always be kids.

Guest merrifield5

Hi Sheena

Am in a similar situation with 4 yrs old and 7 yr old. If you could PM me too that would be fab!

Thanks

Lynn

Archived