How well did your children settle in Oz school?

THORPES

Guest itskaren
I am very worried. I have just read a post about a 5 year old English child being bullied at a state school on the sunshine coast. The other posters said it happens alot in state schools in Oz. :shocked: They said children hear comments off the parents and then its hard for English kids to fit in.

Is this true?

We cant afford to send our 2 boys to private school's so we have no choice but state schools.

Please can anyone tell me there childrens experiences of state schools with regard to how they fitted in.

Good/bad I would appreciate any comments because it has really shocked me and I feel very unsure now.:unsure:

Jill

xxx

Hi Jill

Sorry I cannot comment on state schools as mine (8 and 10) go to a local private school fees $9000 per chld plus other bits and pieces. All I can say is they just love it to bits. I have had no trouble whatsoever. My 8 year old wants to know why school is not on a Saturday too! They go to Billanook College Mooroolbark. Victoia.

We have some english friends and their children the same age go to a local state school. They too have had a bit of trouble with bullying. I think it is resolved but took a bit of time for them to settle. I am sure it happens in private schools too but in my experience it has not happened (yet!).

Good luck.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hi all, no problem on sending the pm's etc, i hope you all understand why i wanted to put it in a pm and not on a open forum??

sheena :wubclub:

Hi there Sheena

Sorry to be a pain after you have done so many but would you mind sending me the pm also please. Am a bit worried about my 11year old when we get there.

Cheers

Lauren

Hi there Sheena

Sorry to be a pain after you have done so many but would you mind sending me the pm also please. Am a bit worried about my 11year old when we get there.

Cheers

Lauren

hiya, have sent you a pm

Guest traybears

hi sheena,thankyou for the pm.you must be sick to the back teeth of pm'ing by now.tracy.xx.

hi sheena.

Am worried now about my 11 year old we fly out on the 13th november and am going to be looking at schools for her, could you pm me to, we are moving to brisbane oh says shes not going to state school now got us all worried. Thanks love julie x:unsure:

Hi Sheena,

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon - we are coming out to Melbourne in a few weeks time. We have one boy of 10 but he is really looking forward to coming to Oz and loves his sport. Please could you pm me as well!

Thanks a lot

love Gill, Phil and Harry

hiya tracy, no i dont mind at all i just forward the first one i did!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi

I just read your post, and whilst looking at schools in the Northern Beaches, I stumbled across bullying at the local state school. Whilst waiting to meet the Principal, my husband and I were sitting in Reception and this boy of about 8 came in and said to the receptionist he wanted to see the deputy head as this boy keeps being nasty to him, the receptionist (to my horror) dismissed the boy and told him to go and find a teacher. As a mother we know there is a window in which a child will tell on another and if its not dealt with straight away they may not find the courage to mention it again.

During the tour of the school I told the Principal what had happened and she said she would talk to the receptionist, but when I asked her what their stand is on bullying, she talked about demerits but had no concise procedure in dealing with troubled children, also she never looked me in the eye.

When my son was playing cricket that weekend one of the mom's told me that a child had been mercilessly picked on at that school by two thugs who were pushing him down the stairs, and the parents had to bring in the police. It ended with the victim being moved to the local catholic school and the two thuggish boys still remain at that school.

We have sent our 8yr old to Loquat Valley Prep School. The fees are $2k per term and 4 terms in the year, considerably cheaper than the GBP 10k we were paying in Britain. Our son prefers the school here to that back home and is very happy. There are alot of expat children to so, there is no pommie name calling.

Schools are hit and miss, even in the UK. However, its hard when you arrive because knowing whether a school is truly good or not is by word of mouth, and that requires time. If you come out here, just trust your senses, always asked to see the Head and do a private tour during school hours, its a great way of seeing how the school runs when its not an open day.

The curriculum is not as broad in Primary/Junior School in NSW, in fact I personally think it is rather narrow, Geography is not a subject to be studied till Senior school which is disappointing as its my sons best subject!

But the lifestyle for children is truly magnificent, and despite my comments above I do think it is worth taking the risk, just keep you wits about you when doing the school rounds.

Hi

I just read your post, and whilst looking at schools in the Northern Beaches, I stumbled across bullying at the local state school. Whilst waiting to meet the Principal, my husband and I were sitting in Reception and this boy of about 8 came in and said to the receptionist he wanted to see the deputy head as this boy keeps being nasty to him, the receptionist (to my horror) dismissed the boy and told him to go and find a teacher. As a mother we know there is a window in which a child will tell on another and if its not dealt with straight away they may not find the courage to mention it again.

During the tour of the school I told the Principal what had happened and she said she would talk to the receptionist, but when I asked her what their stand is on bullying, she talked about demerits but had no concise procedure in dealing with troubled children, also she never looked me in the eye.

When my son was playing cricket that weekend one of the mom's told me that a child had been mercilessly picked on at that school by two thugs who were pushing him down the stairs, and the parents had to bring in the police. It ended with the victim being moved to the local catholic school and the two thuggish boys still remain at that school.

We have sent our 8yr old to Loquat Valley Prep School. The fees are $2k per term and 4 terms in the year, considerably cheaper than the GBP 10k we were paying in Britain. Our son prefers the school here to that back home and is very happy. There are alot of expat children to so, there is no pommie name calling.

Schools are hit and miss, even in the UK. However, its hard when you arrive because knowing whether a school is truly good or not is by word of mouth, and that requires time. If you come out here, just trust your senses, always asked to see the Head and do a private tour during school hours, its a great way of seeing how the school runs when its not an open day.

The curriculum is not as broad in Primary/Junior School in NSW, in fact I personally think it is rather narrow, Geography is not a subject to be studied till Senior school which is disappointing as its my sons best subject!

But the lifestyle for children is truly magnificent, and despite my comments above I do think it is worth taking the risk, just keep you wits about you when doing the school rounds.

Hi Mrs Feline

Thanks for your post. We are moving to Northern Beaches too, in the new year hopefully, and have a 14 & 12 year old. They are enroled at Mater Maria Catholic College in Warriewood as we did a recci, including schools, last year and it appeared to have a very good reputation.

Thanks also to the person who said that their school had provided pen-pals for their child pre-starting/emigrating. I'm going to contact Mater Maria and see if we can do the same as think it's a fantastic idea :idea:

All the best everyone

Zoe xx

Guest harrison family

Hi all concerned parents,

Just thought i would let you know that bullying happens all over the world and here in england we moved to a new area 4 years ago because i was worried my eldest would be bullied at the local secondary school. She went to the new school and after 2 years of hell for her ( physically attacked in school corridors, head smashed on a desk, and hairspray sprayed in her face) we had countless meetings with the head, video footage of one of the attacks was dismissed as a bit of a laugh girls joking about. The final straw came when the head and deputy head finally said to my daughter on her own (14 at time) she was attention seeking because her youngest sister was disabled and obviousley got more attention at home than she did !!!!

I moved her to a private school and she thrived, she left school this year with 8 GCSE's and a young confident young lady.

Schools are horrible places some times but it does happen everywhere, and whatever happens there are other schools the main thing is that your kids do tell you about it.

Sorry for going on, just had to have my say.

Best of luck

Sallie

Guest mutikonka

We've had two boys go through primary school so far with no bullying or fitting in problems, despite their Yorkshire accents (initially). They are at a school where there are lots of other kids whose parents aren't Australian born, and I think being English is an advantage rather than a hindrance.

Hi

We moved to Australia 6 months ago and my confident 7 year son loved his class mates and school in the UK he was happy with a good group of friends and thrived on the challenge of school work. My daughter only 5 hated, everything about school (the same school) the teacher (the same teacher) that pushed her to be as good as the rest (she was the youngest in the class) the kids were all too bossy (her words) and just became a very unhappy quiet little girl in her short time at school in the UK. To very different experiences.

Then Australia - My son has struggled finds the work to easy, the kids to old, the teacher too relaxed. And I think the comparing didnt help him at all.

My little girl LOVES kindy, she has become confident happy and has so many friends.

So 2 children, same school, different story. I think it will depend on each child, each school and time. It has taken a lot of communcation and little plans to help them settle and now 6 months down the line I think I have 2 happy children.

Bullies - thats a different story but I think the world over.

Lynda x

My daughter did 6 months in Primary before going to High school in Feb this year, she settled in well at both schools (state) she did have a problem with bullying at high school (friends falling out & it got nasty - teenage girls can be a nightmare) I have to say the school were good and sorted it. I now work at the school as a receptionist and any kid with a bullying problem is first of all sent in the direction of their year co-ordinators, it would then go to the year principal and then the Principal - it`s a big school and the principal can`t do everything on his own, work has to delegated - it is however always taken seriously. We did have an incident back in primary in the UK - it dragged on for months with my daughter being threatened and feeling very misereable - all because the Principal wasn`t acting firmly or quickly enough (the bully had problems at home which seemed to make it ok to bully)

Hi Sheena,

Would you mind sending me a copy of the PM? We have a 5 year old & this is something that is of interest to me also.

Kelly :smile:

Hi Sheena

could you PM me as well, i know it was a while ago but i am moving to sydney with my boys and am a bit worried.

thanks

ruby

Hi Sheena

Could I have a PM too??? Our children are 11, 8 and 6. If we finally get there it would be nice to be prepared should we have problems.

• 3 months later...
Guest mike and claire

Hi Sheena

Apologies.....I'm sure you thought you had seen the last of this, same position as a lot of others I think, I have an 11 year old son and we are hoping to be in Melbourne sometime next year ( fingers crossed ). Have been reading through posts and would be interested to hear any other info or feedback on this......would be very grateful for PM if you don't mind.

Many Thanks

Mike

Hi

Sorry to be a pain but we're coming over in September with our 4yr old and now a little worried, could you please pm me .

many thanks

zoe

Archived