How well did your children settle in Oz school?

THORPES

I am very worried. I have just read a post about a 5 year old English child being bullied at a state school on the sunshine coast. The other posters said it happens alot in state schools in Oz. :shocked: They said children hear comments off the parents and then its hard for English kids to fit in.

Is this true?

We cant afford to send our 2 boys to private school's so we have no choice but state schools.

Please can anyone tell me there childrens experiences of state schools with regard to how they fitted in.

Good/bad I would appreciate any comments because it has really shocked me and I feel very unsure now.:unsure:

Jill

xxx

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest juliemtaylor

and me please, I have 2 kids one 8 year old and one 12 year old and they have already been bullied over here...

Julie x

G'day all,

Thanks Sheena for Pming (?) (not a word, I know) all the people with kids of your youngests age (name deleted by me). I'm sure you've told them the truth and how things work etc.

I would like to put it over from our experiance with 2 older kids and how they have found things. I know every school and every child is different.

My boys are 15 and 13 and we got here in May. They started school early June and they really enjoy going. They have had no problems (apart from the northern English accent) at all. They have made some good friends and enjoy what they are doing there. What I am saying is. It's not all bad. You get bullies, bad teachers, the subjects they don't want, but lets face it, you'll get that where ever you go in the world.

Look after your kids and don't be afraid to challenge the teachers/school. They are there for you and your kids.

Regards

Frank

G'day all,

Thanks Sheena for Pming (?) (not a word, I know) all the people with kids of your youngests age (name deleted by me). I'm sure you've told them the truth and how things work etc.

I would like to put it over from our experiance with 2 older kids and how they have found things. I know every school and every child is different.

My boys are 15 and 13 and we got here in May. They started school early June and they really enjoy going. They have had no problems (apart from the northern English accent) at all. They have made some good friends and enjoy what they are doing there. What I am saying is. It's not all bad. You get bullies, bad teachers, the subjects they don't want, but lets face it, you'll get that where ever you go in the world.

Look after your kids and don't be afraid to challenge the teachers/school. They are there for you and your kids.

Regards

Frank

Thanks Frank.

We will be in't same boat with our strong Owdham accents.:biglaugh:

Jill

xxx

Guest Alex & Kris
hiya, i will pm you!

sheena :wubclub:

Sorry to be a pain could u pm me to as have a 9yr old so would like a idea. many thanks

Kris x

have pm'd everybody expect frank, coz he does my head in!!!! (bless ya frank!) :biglaugh:

Hi sheena,

we have 3 children who will be 5, 8 and 11 years old would be gratefull if you could pm me too!!

many thanks Dawn xx

Sorry to be a pain could u pm me to as have a 9yr old so would like a idea. many thanks

Kris x

hiya,

have pm'd you!

Hi sheena,

we have 3 children who will be 5, 8 and 11 years old would be gratefull if you could pm me too!!

many thanks Dawn xx

hiya,

have pm'd you!

Guest CosWeCan

Hi

any chance I can have one of these PM's? Only we are moving to OZ in January and my son will be six and would be very interested to know the score and why the need for PM's.

Not to worried about the 3 year old he is hard as nails !!! :-) Will even attack a 30 foot TREX made of fibre glass with his bare hands.

Thanks

I am very worried. I have just read a post about a 5 year old English child being bullied at a state school on the sunshine coast. The other posters said it happens alot in state schools in Oz. They said children hear comments off the parents and then its hard for English kids to fit in.

Is this true?

We cant afford to send our 2 boys to private school's so we have no choice but state schools.

Please can anyone tell me there childrens experiences of state schools with regard to how they fitted in.

Good/bad I would appreciate any comments because it has really shocked me and I feel very unsure now.

Jill

xxx

hi jill

i have 3 boys.... 11, 8 and 5.

when we first arrived we lived in a different suburb to where we live now... and the boys went to the local state school.

my eldest.. (11) struggled with the system. he found the work too easy - compared to what he was used to... and didn't know what to do with himself... he went from a A grade student to a B... became very unhappy and had no real friends...

my middle son... (8) loved it.... he fitted in straight away and suddenly became confident and couldn't wait to get to school. he made friends and his work improved... he is not as academically minded as our eldest and i feel the work here suits him better.

the youngest ...(now 5) is in kindy and again feel into place straight away.

we then had a problem as we didn't know what to do for our eldest..... however, we were at the time looking to buy and found a house in another suburb ... we moved our eldest to a private school.... here he is alot happier ... the work although still not as hard (his words).. is more challenging and his grades have improved again. he says the kids at this new school are a lot friendlier... no pack mentalitly... and he has fitted in very well.

the other 2 have gone to the primary state school near the new house and again have fitted in well... our plan is to send them to the private school once they reach secondary years.

with regards to bullying etc... i know of a few kids who have had problems... (from the 1st school we were at)... it tends to be more the girls... as they are very clicky etc.. but boys have been a problem as well...but once the school was informed and the head made aware by the parents involved..(one of which is a very good friend of mine)... the school really tried to sort the problem out with meetings and questionaires and changing the schools policies etc and as far as i am aware this particlar problem has been addressed and delt with properly.... so i am sure if this can happen at this school ...other schools will work towards ironing out problems too if they are made aware ..

hope that helps

min x:wubclub:

Thanks Min.

I am feeling alot more reasurred regarding the schools. I've heard the education is a bit more relaxed and to be honest I am glad.

My eldest is not academic and really struggles at school here in UK so i'm hoping he will enjoy school in Oz.

Both my boys are very sociable and find it easy to make friends.

Right or wrong, Im not to bothered too much about grades etc.. We support and help them with schoolwork but I'd rather my children be happy and confident people than worry about tests and what class group they are in.

Jill

xxx

Guest Ali1963

Hi Sheena

Would it be possible to have a PM too, please? We have boys aged 4 and 5 starting in a small rural school in Feb.

Thanks in anticipation, Alison

Archived