Removal Companies Costs?

toughspiders

Robdogs!!!!!!

Isnt it funny how one can do it for so much less....makes you realise how much profit the higher priced ones are making....from what i have seen and heard the services are virtually the same.

I have rang lettons for marine insurance....currently at 1.6%

The way i see it a few hundred quid is better off in my pocket than theirs

Bex

x

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
REALLLY, you just had John Mason!!!!

:Randy-git:

lol...sorry couldnt resist

:biglaugh:lol i have 3 more to try yet!! 2,000 for shared cont , the usuall 3 seater and 2 seater , white goods, 2 hoovers clothes toys 3 bikes, and nick nacks kitchen stuff q a lot really to go, not that bad so if it goes cheaper with each one ill be happy!!

Guest Tiny1965

Just had my quote from PSS £1879 for 320 cubic feet and that is including my bike. Scotland to Melbourne.

Can you use BSI rated uk helmets in Australia or have they a different safety standard

Guest Tom the Pom

Forget 'Removal companies' and deal directly with shipping agaents. They know what the deal is and you won't have a massive commission to pay.

I got quoted less than £4000 for a 40 footer door to door service. Check ebay the guy is on there under shipping containers.

In this current climate we really should be looking a bit deeper into things and cutting out all the middle men and agents who are no more than paracites feeding off the ill and mis-informed.

hi tom can you give the name of who your qoute was with please, also was it the total amount no extra's at the other end , i know someone who had a container last month thought they had a good deal, by diy'ing and had an extra $ 1,000 to pay the other end ?!

Guest Bonniebuster

We contacted this company and they rang us back on a Sunday! And he has been to see us today, not had quote yet but very impressed "a real can do", pragmatic company. We have had 3 quotes from removers and none really fitted our requirements but this far am quite impressed and hopefully the quote will be sensible.

Thanks Tom for the advice

I've had enough of these shipping companies. We've tried to negotiate on price and 100 quid off is the best they can do. You'd think in the current climate they would be a bit more amenable to negotiation, surely they'd want to see something on the bank balance at the end of the month! Thieving b@#$#$ds. We're stuck with having to pay far more than I had originally budgeted!

Guest *KAY TEE*
What you been quoted mpg???

Ive been quoted between 3.5K and 5K for a 20ft'er

Bex

Hiya you can try these, we got quite good quotes from them. Doree Bonner International & John Masons both quoted £2,700 for 689cf.

£4.4k and £4,5k from Pickfords and Anglo Pacific. Crown was horrendously expensive. They are for a 20ft container sole use including crate for motorbike. Has to be done week after next although we are still waiting for vehicle import approval, hopefully it will be through next week.

We sent off the vehicle import stuff on Oct 29th. When did you send off yours? I had completely forgotten about it before then and assumed it would only take a week or so. They say it's a 17 day turn around!!! The clock already has miles and km so should be ok. I think we'll try Robinsons but we want the shipping done on the 26th/27th Nov. It's cutting it fine I know but 3.5k is a lot less that our current. I haven't contacted the ebay person.

So much to do, so little time. When are you planning to move, Bex?

We are off on the 31st November. OH sent off for his import thing on the 7th. He did it all by email and got a confirmatory response.

One fo the removal guys who came said it needs to be a KM clock, but OH said that depends on the state you are going to. He has ordered one from Germany and is still waiting for it.

Sorry - i thought it was you who had contacted the one Tom the Pom recommended.

I havent chosen my company yet. They are all saying they may come down. Bonners have come down but have removed the 4 weeks storage...so they will get told when they call.

I emailed pickfords and told them i wasnt interested at a price 1500 quid more than everyone else!!! I said it was better off in my pocket than theirs.

To be honest with you ...i dont give a monkeys about all the sales talk, we do this and they dont larky. I want the best price and if they cant give it me first off then it irritates the life out of me.

Will be using lettons for insurance as well...will save a bob or two

Bex

x

Cheers, thanks for the information. I just assumed that the clock could be dual, we're going to Melbourne, does Victoria require a sole KM clock? Was that the 7th Nov you applied for the import thing? Why does it all have to take so long. I think we will give Robinsons a ring tomorrow and see if they can quote and organise removals for next week. I agree with you about all the sales guff. Fundamentally, you will get a similar service (in my humble opinion) and I think adding an extra grand to the cost will not preclude it getting screwed up. Of course, if you pay peanuts, you get monkeys... We get relocation expenses anyway when we get there but I would like it to go a little further than just flights and shipping, at least help a little with the temporary accomodation when we get there. And with the exchange rate at the moment, we are getting considerable less...

What are you doing about the motorbike value? My husband's has owned it 9 years and 10% of what he paid for it is a bit ridiculous. It's only worth a fraction of that now but when we e mailed them to clarify, they just sent back what was already on their website and weren't too much help. Ever the optimist, I'm hoping it will be taxed on it's current value! Shipping anyway will be less that it's currently worth and would be considerably more to have to buy one to replace.

We dont actually leave until Dec 31st but we have to get back to Ireland to see my folks for a week or so before as well as seeing husband's folks for a week or so. At least my brother in law will sell our car after we leave so that's one less thing to stress about!

Hiya

Sorry just read my post...we are off on the 31st Dec too!! New years eve.

I know what you mean about peanuts and monkeys...but all the companies we have had round are reputable companies...so the way i see it...its better off in my pocket. Especially given that we haven't sold the house!!!

Paul got his bike for a bargain ... its a triumph tiger he only got it two years ago and paid 2.2k for it .. so the 10% isnt so bad.

With regards to the tax on the bike....Paul says you can have a "landed valuation" done. Customs will then accept that valuation and calculate the tax based on the lower amount. From what we hear the landed valuation is quite low because they value it based on the fact that it isn't yet roadworthy without MOT equivalent etc. It costs about $200 though apparently so it wouldn't be worth it in our case.

Not sure about the KM/H clocks in Victoria. Paul is changing his partly out of preference anyway - picked one up on Ebay Germany for about 85 quid. You can contact the registration authorities in Victoria (Contact us : VicRoads). They should be able to assist.

Bex

Ah, so you'll miss new years day as well...!!! Our 2 small ones wont notice and it's not like we can party all night long anymore anyway. Where are you going? When are you planning your shipment?

Thanks for the information about the clock, I'll look into it. Do you get the feeling that everyone wants some of your money when you start having to spend significant amounts... Our house didn't sell either but we've been able to remortgage and hopefully it should rent out.

Gave Robinsons a call today and their best was 4,190 for 20ft including motorbike crating up. I think we'll just go with them. Feel free to pm me Bex.

• 1 month later...
Guest mackemsok
Hi, I personally wouldn't go for a larger container. We had a big sort out before coming over and had room to spare in our 20ft container. If money is tight, consider the DIY option, we were quoted 2,200 GBP (plus insurance on top the same as international removers) and all you had to do was pack and load yourself, they would ship and deliver the other end.

Hi HappyBunny

Just researching the moving costs - and am waiting for a quote for a DIY job after reading your post. Can i ask what the insurance price was and how you found the whole process. I have no problem packing myself and feel it would suit me better as i can have a good sort out at the same time. How long was the container at your house for? and did you get supplied boxes or did you just go and buy some?

YOur help is appreciated

Sharon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest iclark955
Hi, I personally wouldn't go for a larger container. We had a big sort out before coming over and had room to spare in our 20ft container. If money is tight, consider the DIY option, we were quoted 2,200 GBP (plus insurance on top the same as international removers) and all you had to do was pack and load yourself, they would ship and deliver the other end.

What is the procedure if you use the pack and load yourself option? Do they deliver a container to your house and then pick it up when it is ready? Is there any timescale they would give you for the loading?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived