For all the people who can't wait to return to the UK

Guest spides

after reading some of theese posts i was just sat here wondering what jobs people are doing that they get paid so little not to be able to return home???.....even if you saved for a short while could this not be possible then to return??

For a holiday maybe. But I mean to set up all over again when you are that much older and your pension is neither hear nor there.

JOhn

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Emma, I havent read all of this thread as alot here Isee !! But my main concern with going to Australia is the wages and can we afford to live a reasonable life and not only that but being in our 40's now you have to think of your old age pension too !!

The wages in general look pretty low in comparison to the price of rentals that are not cheap for a reasonable property. I dont know abt all work but we are looking at tradesman type work and the money does not start of that good, its ok if you think the money may go up but will it??? There is licences to obtain to all at a cost.

If your earning say $25.00 an hour and your rent it say $450 you just need to do some calculations to see what is left once you have paid tax and paid your bills. (this is just a rough idea of pay and rent).

It's not easy for everyone.

Good Luck

Hi Kdal, yes lots of posts on this.....gives me a bit of a headache...

For me and my partner our situation is much better than when we lived in London, [in sydney now], the wages we earnt in london didnt cover very much and certainly wasnt enough to buy a house with....but over here we are both on more money and have just bought a house...i understand that everyone is differnt and in differnt situations, just wondered really why it seems so differnt for us and many others i know over here in comparison to the many posts in this topic.....

Hi Kdal, yes lots of posts on this.....gives me a bit of a headache...

For me and my partner are situation is much better than when we lived in London, [in sydney now], the wages we earnt in london didnt cover very much and certainly wasnt enough to buy a house with....but over here we are both on more money and have just bought a house...i understand that everyone is differnt and in differnt situations, just wondered really why it seems so differnt for us and many others i know over here in comparison to the many posts in this topic.....

Emma it;s always good to hear the success stories such as yours Well Done to you both!! Can I ask are you office peeps? I know the house prices in London were and still are incredibly high , we live in Essex and the prices are falling. If the sold our house and the prices hadnt fallen so much we could have probably had a decent life in Aus but to some the credit crunch is purely words but to others it really is effecting them big time.

For a holiday maybe. But I mean to set up all over again when you are that much older and your pension is neither hear nor there.

JOhn

Oh i see...yea i geuss that would be hard...with no offence meant, maybe its easier for younger people to start a life out here...i think its definatly better for my generation out here....please dont hink im being rude, im not!!

Emma it;s always good to hear the success stories such as yours Well Done to you both!! Can I ask are you office peeps? I know the house prices in London were and still are incredibly high , we live in Essex and the prices are falling. If the sold our house and the prices hadnt fallen so much we could have probably had a decent life in Aus but to some the credit crunch is purely words but to others it really is effecting them big time.

No, not office people....i work as an area manager in hospitallity and my partner works in the film indusrty...i was on terrible money in london in the same job, now im on a lot more...my partner was paid very well but we still couldnt afford anything and were always skint...he is paid about the same wage here but it goes further....life was hard for me in london..errrrrr, feel ill just thinking about it!! haha

Guest UGandSMUG

This really is where research plays it's part.

Both Sarah and I believe that we have thought about everything there is to think about before moving, however that's still no guarantee that we will 'settle'. You can't research your emotions but you can research the facts.

We couldn't have even considered making the decision without knowing exactly how affordable life would be and how much savings we could have etc. We even got an accountant friend of ours in OZ to double check every figure. We've inflated all the outgoings and underestimated the incomings but even doing that we should still be comfortable. We are no millionaires or anything but I'm lucky that my IT related job pays well (as it does in the UK) in Melbourne.

Research, research and more research....... :)

Although we are stuck in a bit of a rut at the mo because OH is part of the family business - (don't ask). We are fully aware that when we eventually get to Oz, OH's earning's will drop significantly. But, we both feel sufficated with our lives over here and to work just us two together for a lot lower income will help us feel free and much happier. We need to leave the UK when things are on the up to help us start a better life in Oz so if if turns out to be a big mistake, we will have more funds to come back with. The wait is killing me tho :arghh:

Although we are stuck in a bit of a rut at the mo because OH is part of the family business - (don't ask). We are fully aware that when we eventually get to Oz, OH earning's will drop significantly. But, we both feel sufficated with our lives over here and to work just us two together for a lot lower income will help us feel free and much happier. We need to leave the UK when things are on the up to help us start a better life in Oz so if if turns out to be a big mistake, we will have more funds to come back with. The wait is killing me tho :arghh:

nice post...............all good words!!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kevin747

Hi Spides .I just read your posts.Congratulations you sound so assimilated man.Totally Aussie bloke -no kidding!

I would not like to have lived in Luton though.

I hope you get a" If you don't love it leave t-shirt" from Santa

I think if you have children its very hard to migrate, we did not have children when we came to live here and it was easy for us, my husband could stay at sea and earn a very good wage as a chief engineer.

I have lived here for over thirty years now and know that I would not have moved again once the children came along, that is because my childhood required me to live all over the place with my parents but also because of money. A rolling stone gathers no moss and its true.

So if you do decide to come make sure it is the right decision if you love your life and its only little things that upset you think again.

Since my daughter became ill at 24 with cancer life has a whole new meaning and its things that happen like that which make us appreciate what we have and that is health, friends and family.

• 4 years later...
I think your all mad, you'll be back five minutes and realise what a dirty stinking dump the UK has become!!

I was back for a holiday in August and everyone is miserable as sin........

Wild horses would not send me back, here I can go to the beach and walk in blazing sunshine.......back in the UK they'll stand in the pub all day, look at the pissing rain hitting the window and moan about the place.......

That is half the problem with people emigrating to Aus, there here 30 seconds and want to catch up with English people and have there fish fingers and chips and beans and expect it to be the UK with sunshine....

Embrace the Aussie lifestyle not the English, this isn't the Algarve!!!

Good luck if your returning, I wish it worked out for you but half the people on this forum who moan and groan I'm glad your leaving the place.........I can't argue when the Aussie's call us whinging poms, on here we are!!!!

I'll wave you off from the Airport and return to a House I can only dream of in the UK, and kids leave their bikes on the front lawn all night.........where will you get that in the UK..........I don't even lock my car and I haven't heard a car alarm go off in two years!!!!

OMG what a lot of total tripe! I suspect that you felt the need to post this thread at all because you are insecure. A bloody car alarm! I lived in suburbia nothing cheap either and there was a murder, countless robberies, grafitti, everything...Why oh why people need to have this black and white view and think they have any clue about what other people are going through is totally beyond me, more so, is why they feel the need to share it!!.IF YOU ARE NOT MOVING BACK TO THE UK AND DO NOT SUPPORT SUCH PEOPLE DON'T LOOK AT THIS PART OF THE FORUM!!!!

OMG what a lot of total tripe! I suspect that you felt the need to post this thread at all because you are insecure. A bloody car alarm! I lived in suburbia nothing cheap either and there was a murder, countless robberies, grafitti, everything...Why oh why people need to have this black and white view and think they have any clue about what other people are going through is totally beyond me, more so, is why they feel the need to share it!!.IF YOU ARE NOT MOVING BACK TO THE UK AND DO NOT SUPPORT SUCH PEOPLE DON'T LOOK AT THIS PART OF THE FORUM!!!!

I agree with you his post was a total load of bollocks! I'm back and loving it too - living a life at long last! As a friend said today, living in Aus was like being in a coma!

• 1 month later...
Guest The Pom Queen
.IF YOU ARE NOT MOVING BACK TO THE UK AND DO NOT SUPPORT SUCH PEOPLE DON'T LOOK AT THIS PART OF THE FORUM!!!!

This section of the forum was not around back when this post was made. As there are a few of the members no longer on the site it is unfair to attack them hence the thread has been closed.

Archived