how long does a 457 visa take?

Guest jonnyspunkyboy

Guest jonnyspunkyboy

Hi All

me and my family are sponsered on a 457 visa and me and my wife are having our xrays done on the 21st and the kids are having medicals done on the 27th and they said that they will take three days to send, alls we wanted to know is how long will it take for the visas to come through becuase we are hoping to leave on the 2nd on january and was wondering if you think they would be here by then or are we being a bit otimistic?:skeptical:

Its just so fustrating we really want to get things booked and organised but we have to wait lol so thingers crossed please everyone.

Cheers

Jonathan Emma Anya Neve :spinny:

Visa 457 lodged 10th Oct 2008

Xrays for me and wife 21st 2008

Medicals for Anya & Neve 27th 2008

Migration Agent appointed for 175 visa 1st Aug 2008

TRA Lodged 6th Oct 2008

Guest guest17301

Hi Jonathon, We are on a 457 too and I'm confused about the meds at the min...I've been told to get them booked asap before lodging the visa but can't access the forms I need to download till I do lodge? Can you explain how you have done it for me please??

Guest jonnyspunkyboy

Hi Fiona

The company who is sponsering us are paying a company to do the visa for us and basically they have emailed the forms to us and told us to go onto the australian Contact Us for the doctors who carry out the medicals in your areas. The forms are 160EH for anyone 11 and over and 26EH for anyone under 11 and im not sure but you should be able to download the forms from this site too . For 11 and overs you just need xrays but the 11 and unders need just medicals.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Jonathan

hi we had our x-rays done on 27th aug and medicals on 29th aug and had them sent to sydney. it took only 3 days for them to receive all the data. we had to prove that the are living together as we are not married (have a 10yrs old together) and received the vizas via email 19th sept. we could have had them earlier except from the small hicup above! overall i found the process very quick, hopes this helps. we are heading to melbourne in jan 09 so good luc. tess xx

Hi All

me and my family are sponsered on a 457 visa and me and my wife are having our xrays done on the 21st and the kids are having medicals done on the 27th and they said that they will take three days to send, alls we wanted to know is how long will it take for the visas to come through becuase we are hoping to leave on the 2nd on january and was wondering if you think they would be here by then or are we being a bit otimistic?:skeptical:

Its just so fustrating we really want to get things booked and organised but we have to wait lol so thingers crossed please everyone.

Cheers

TRA Lodged 6th Oct 2008

If all goes without a hitch, your visas should be granted about mid

November. I'll see if I can look back to see how long ours took after the meds.

The medicals is the last hurdle (I am assuming police checks have already been sent ?)

Good luck with the countdown.

I was reading a few old emails from our migration agent looking up times, and in our case, our eldest son was first requested to take a simple medical, and then after the paperwork arrived in Australia, they decided to change their mond, and request a full medical due to being in full time senior education.

From the first medicals to the acceptance (while they had massive backlogs in Sydney) it took from mid May (16/17th meds, then approx 21st in Sydney) till 18/07 to get the email from the agent. 2 full months for us, but that is about 3 weeks longer than it normally should take.

Also on a 457, you can actually go to Australia without a 457, and take receipt of the visa without having to leave the country.

We ourselves had booked flights, sent our container & sold the house before we had the visa. We received the visa 18/07/07, we flew out 24/07/07.

Hi All

Cheers

TRA Lodged 6th Oct 2008

Hi there,

We're in a very similar situation to you - our meds arrived in Sydney last Friday and we're wondering exactly when our 457 visa will be granted, we're moving out of our house 31st Oct!!!

Our agent has said providing it is straight forward it should take 2-4 weeks & as far as we know it IS straight-forward!

Thre was a 457 granted to someone on here last week in 3 hours and other people's have taken 3 months so it's impossible to really plan for

Jules

Guest prettyinpink

Hiya all, we've been in Perth for the last 4 weeks and we started our whole visa application at Easter. From us attending the medicals to receiving our visas, the process took about 3 weeks. We didn't want to do anything before we knew we actually had the visas and it seemed we were just waiting and waiting, but when they came through everything went double speed.

You all need to have x rays except for children under 11, and if you are intending to be in a classroom, work in a hospital, dentist etc.....you need to have a medical. They are very straightforward, eyesight, blood pressure, checks your reflexes, weight (ahem!) ....the usual stuff. I was worried because I have asthma, but it was no problem.

There are lots of details of the immigration website so if you get stuck that would be a good place to check things out. nIf you have a migration agent, they should be able to advise you too.

• 6 months later...
Guest sammyholly

hey there,

Just wondering in your msg it says you can go to oz without 457 and be in recepit of it there? Do you know what visa i would arrive on then and would i need 2 book return tickets. My job starts in feb 2010 but i want to go in nov to get myself sorted any info you may know would be great thanx

I was reading a few old emails from our migration agent looking up times, and in our case, our eldest son was first requested to take a simple medical, and then after the paperwork arrived in Australia, they decided to change their mond, and request a full medical due to being in full time senior education.

From the first medicals to the acceptance (while they had massive backlogs in Sydney) it took from mid May (16/17th meds, then approx 21st in Sydney) till 18/07 to get the email from the agent. 2 full months for us, but that is about 3 weeks longer than it normally should take.

Also on a 457, you can actually go to Australia without a 457, and take receipt of the visa without having to leave the country.

We ourselves had booked flights, sent our container & sold the house before we had the visa. We received the visa 18/07/07, we flew out 24/07/07.

Guest gombotz

Seriously? in 3 hours?!

I lodged my 457 visa on 17/3, medicals finalized on 25/3 and I'm still waiting... tomorrow it will be a month for me. I filled everything on my own so I hope I didn't make any mistake that might cause my visa to be refused. I'm a pretty straight-forward case as well (just me on the application, and I took care of attaching all the documents in advance) so I really hope I'll get it soon too.

Can't wait to start working already! :)

Guest stue116

Hi Gombotz, we applied on 13th march, meds finalised 25th march, we are also checking everyday.

was hoping to hear before easter!!!

any day now I hope.

sam.

Guest gombotz

same here! I keep checking all the time but haven't seen any change on-line since the medicals were finalized. I'll my fingers crossed for both of us!

Guest Giancarlo

We are the same. e457 lodged 09/03/09, meds finalised 24/03/09 and nothing since! Whats going on!?!!?!?!?!?!:arghh:

I was told my 457 would take 4 weeks. Im not sure if its fast tracked by being a nurse??

As we arent planning to go out until Sept, we have put off the application. We had our meds today and will process the police checks when i find where to get the forms from (LOL)

I found our local Visa-med GPs from the Oz immigration site and contacted them directly. All the forms were on the website of the GPs and we didnt need to provide anything regarding the visa.

Guest gombotz

I was wondering: did any of you contact your CO about the status of the visa?

I sent a question a couple of days ago to my CO (this was the first contact I've had with my CO) asking something about conflicting information regarding the health requirements for my visa. I was very pleasantly surprised that he answered very quickly (with 2 or 3 hours) and said they had all the required information. (my health requirements finalized on 25/3).

I was told that maybe I should sent an e-mail inquiring the status of my application.. but I don't really know if I should do that.

Anyway, has any of you contacted your CO regarding the status of your application?

Our 457 was looked at and granted over a weekend. Our agent submitted our application on Friday 6th Feb and we received the e-mail on the 9th to say it had been granted. However, our meds/x-rays were already in Oz and our agent had already got and double checked all of our documentation.

It was lucky really, because we had already booked flights for the following monday and the packers/shippers were due on the Thursday/Friday!

I was wondering: did any of you contact your CO about the status of the visa?

I sent a question a couple of days ago to my CO (this was the first contact I've had with my CO) asking something about conflicting information regarding the health requirements for my visa. I was very pleasantly surprised that he answered very quickly (with 2 or 3 hours) and said they had all the required information. (my health requirements finalized on 25/3).

I was told that maybe I should sent an e-mail inquiring the status of my application.. but I don't really know if I should do that.

Anyway, has any of you contacted your CO regarding the status of your application?

I emailed our CO weekly once the medicals had been finalised - she probably got fed up and granted it anyway LOL

Guest gombotz
Our 457 was looked at and granted over a weekend. Our agent submitted our application on Friday 6th Feb and we received the e-mail on the 9th to say it had been granted. However, our meds/x-rays were already in Oz and our agent had already got and double checked all of our documentation.

It was lucky really, because we had already booked flights for the following monday and the packers/shippers were due on the Thursday/Friday!

wow... you're so lucky!!!

I filed the application myself and did the same as your agent: I double checked I had all the documents before lodging the application... but I'm still waiting. :huh:

It's so weird that some visas are granted so quickly and others take so long. Anyway, congratulations. :)

Guest stue116

We asked our agent to follow our application up last week, our CO said he would look at it early on in the week, it's now tues and nothing, arh arh

must learn to chill out:cool: ozzie style.

sam

Guest yankee

I'm guessing we will be in for a longer wait as well. However I am hoping that Immi will have less to do and be faster once the Regional Body has OK'd the application on their end. We haven't even submitted our part yet simply because we have to wait for the TRN number first. The 457 application from our sponsor has been with the Regional Body for about two weeks now.

Once our sponsor hears back from them, we will book medicals and get the PCC from Germany though. I already got my PCC from the US (FBI Fingerprint check) last month. But so far it's all OK - my hubby is suppose to start work in October, so we're not freaking... yet.

:twitcy:

• 3 years later...

HI All

Got a job offer signed contract etc completed forms / sent certs / sorting medical insurance (see other thread on that one) Imm agent etc for a sponsered 457

visa yet nowhere along the line has anyone mentioned a medical ! I have just had a full comprehensive medical in the UK and my wife and the kids are all fit so I am not worried form that side but thought someone would have mentioned it ???? Is this compulsary or does it depend onthe job you are going to do / who is sponsering you etc etc ?

Archived