Sign in to follow this  
Guest bazza1980

hgv fitter in kununurra wa

Guest bazza1980

i'm moving out to kununurra wa in june next year, i have been looking for work around there, has anyone lived or worked there, is it easy to get a job? the only employer seems to be Argyle mine, please help!!!:skeptical:

Guest BullcreekBob

Argyle employs somewhere between very very few and no people from Kununurra. The workforce for the Diamond mine mainly lives in Perth although there a few in Melbourne. People fly in for two weeks, work 12 hour shifts every day then go home for two weeks. Most of the mines in the North West use similar fly in/fly out workforces.

Kununurra is a really nice (small) tourist location for a few months of the year but for most of the year the extreme climate makes living there unattractive for many people.

Why have you chosen to go there? What sort of work are you hoping for? Have you experience in a similar climate?

Guest bazza1980

My wife has got a post in Kununurra. I would like to stay on the spanners, either plant fitting or doing HGVS . The heat does'nt bother us, we stayed in Palm Springs in the States last year and loved it, we soon got used to it. If i can't stay on the spanners i might end up fruit picking ( hope not):mask::skeptical:

My parents lived in Kununurra for quite a long while but it was while ago. I have visited the place twice whilst they were there and hot is hot in Kununurra and humid in the wet as they call it.

My Dad was an electrician there and they also had a gov lease of land on the Ord where they grew bananas and mangoes. When they were there the Argyle mine was just starting up. Food was expensive because everything has to be brought in. Wyndham is the nearest little town.

Tourism is now big up there.

A lot of Americans lived in the area. There was no high school there at the time they lived there.

Mans place I think. Its a long way from Perth. Most of the women used to move down to Perth for the months of the wet as its not very pleasant.

My parents sold the lease when they retired and came to live in Melbourne as my brother had no interest in living there and nor did I.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest BullcreekBob
.... The heat does'nt bother us, we stayed in Palm Springs in the States last year and loved it, we soon got used to it.

Okay, what you've said above seems to make perfectly clear that you have absolutely no idea about the climate you're going to be getting in Kununurra. Sure I've not actually lived in Palm Springs so I'm relying of information via Mr Google and a couple of friends who holidayed during a "hot" summer.

PLEASE do yourself a big favour and do some more research before you possibly make a very expensive mistake.

The climate in Kununurra is quite extreme at times. The experience of "The Wet" in Kununurra is more like trying to do your work in the steam room at your local gym. If you've not tried it, put on your overalls, grab your spanners and go try working in it. There is a very good reason why most people who can leave town, do.

For 3-4 months during winter the climate in Kununurra is very very pleasant, almost idyllic with sunny days in the low to mid 30's. But once it starts warming up and getting humid. Watch out.