Sign in to follow this  
poeblo

MOVING NEAR SYDNEY ?? OR BRISBANE ?? CANT DECIDE

Hi All

Were a family from Lancashire , we have got our Perminent residence visa and are looking to move in June 2006...

I have registered with an employment agency in Sydney who says that Sydney is the places to live for my occupation ( I work in travel ) ...

My husbands occupation is in aerospace .

We have been to Brisbane several times and love it , we want to live near Brsbane, however if I can get a good job in Sydney we will consider moving there also .

My question is :

Where in Sydney is a good suburb to live in ?? we are looking to be near people but a house that is detached, also close to a good school train for comuting etc...

We have family in Canberra and Brisbane .

We need advice on renting , banks , buyng cars and our driving licences ,jobs and schools

Not much then :lol:

Also since we got our visa , my hubbie has been diagnosed with type 2 diebeties , his treatment in the uk is free for life, how will this affect us in Australia ?? any advice on this would be much appreciated

I also hope to get to know people through this forum also

Regards

Paula

Moneycorp

Moneycorp

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi Paula

Haven't been to Brisbane but it looks great! We visited Sydney this time last year and hoping for our visa grant before Xmas, to leave in February. Decided to head for Sydney mainly because we have a little bit of family there and a couple our own age we know there too - a bit of a network to lean on if we need them. We don't see ourselves settling there for years to come but initially we'd like to 'do Sydney'!!

I've looked a lot at places to stay all over the city and the suburbs. It depends what you want. We want to be near enough to the beach but not necessarily right on it (although that would be nice!) and near to the city to get decent jobs. So we're looking at the north shore district - Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Balgowlah, Killerney Heights - check out http://www.domain.com.au

These areas are really nice and not cheap but you're close to the Manly ferry to get intot he city for work and close to the beaches. There's a fair bit of snobbery about living in the south of Sydney but there's some lovely suburbs, close to beaches (Bondi) and cheaper than the northern beaches. Our friends live in the northern beaches aswell so that's our excuse!

We also visited outer suburbs - Hornsby, Berowrah - all lovely, much quiter and a long commute to the city, but cheaper or more value for money - whichever way you look at it! Also wen to Thornleigh and Wesstleigh - pretty new areas on the edge of the city, lovely modern houses and good schools by all accounts.

Hope this helps! As I said, depends what you want.

Zoe

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi Paula

Haven't been to Brisbane but it looks great! We visited Sydney this time last year and hoping for our visa grant before Xmas, to leave in February. Decided to head for Sydney mainly because we have a little bit of family there and a couple our own age we know there too - a bit of a network to lean on if we need them. We don't see ourselves settling there for years to come but initially we'd like to 'do Sydney'!!

I've looked a lot at places to stay all over the city and the suburbs. It depends what you want. We want to be near enough to the beach but not necessarily right on it (although that would be nice!) and near to the city to get decent jobs. So we're looking at the north shore district - Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Balgowlah, Killerney Heights - check out http://www.domain.com.au

These areas are really nice and not cheap but you're close to the Manly ferry to get into the city for work and close to the beaches. There's a fair bit of snobbery about living in the south of Sydney but there's some lovely suburbs, close to beaches (Bondi) and cheaper than the northern beaches. Our friends live in the northern beaches aswell so that's our excuse!

We also visited outer suburbs - Hornsby, Berowrah - all lovely, much quiter and a long commute to the city, but cheaper or more value for money - whichever way you look at it! Also went to Thornleigh and Westleigh - pretty new areas on the edge of the city, lovely modern houses and good schools by all accounts.

Hope this helps! As I said, depends what you want.

Zoe :?

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By oliviaaaa
        Hey, my friend and I are both thinking of moving to the bay next year even though parents aren't happy so the won't help us find the information on the bay. We would like to know is it worth it for a year fresh out of school? Can we study there? Is it expensive? Will we find work? Are the bills manageable on a teen wage? Is there financial support there? Is it recommended for two best friends who want out of home?
      • By Mtotheb81
        Hi Guys 
        We are seriously considering moving to Brisbane/Sunshine Coast but are a bit lost in terms of where to move. 
        We are looking for great junior and High schools, ideally state but open to private. Ideally somewhere not to isolated but not too busy! The dream is to be close to the sea but willing to travel 1hr to go to the beach. Want to avoid the Gold Coast. 
        Our main concern is everywhere we look in Brisbane and Sunshine Coast has flood risks! We did think of Buderim but it seems very sleepy which I’m not sure will be good for teenagers. We also looked at Red cliff but seems a bit isolated and run down. Do you guys have any ideas? Thanks for your time!
      • By SinCityDex
        Hi guys,
        Long story short. I moved to South Oz from Cornwall in 1992 at age 11 with my parents. My parents moved back in 2005 for work. I stayed - had a girlfriend (became my wife)/was @ uni, then I started a career......I had a very traumatic experience @ work in 2014 which destroyed my mental health, career and marriage, all no fault of my own; i've been heavily depressed and anxious for the better part of 2 years. I had a little boy with my wife (currently separated) who is 3. I have 1 Bachelor of Psychology degree, a Masters in Social Work and a Masters in Marketing, so i've got a wide net for employment. Right now i'm self employed, making TV commercials, graphic design - all media stuff.
        I live alone now and can't see myself ever being happy again, BUT, when I think about my family (mum/dad/brother/niece/cousins/friends etc etc) and Cornwall I get a strong sense of connection/hope and love; something i've been lacking for a few years now. My choice, which feels like Sophie's choice is this:
        1. Stay in Oz for my son. I will have a relationship with my son but everything else will be pretty grim, especially when my wife moves onto the next guy, and i'm around to see my son living with him. 
        2. Move back to Cornwall and have a big family again, start afresh etc. Try and find a way of keeping my son in my life - Skype, holidays etc. 
        So the choice is either to remain in Oz completely unhappy with the exception of my son, or move home to Cornwall where I have a sense of identity, family, a sense of community and belonging - something Australia doesn't really have. 
        I guess i'm putting this down on virtual paper because I want to see what other's think of this - all opinions are fine. Please don't kick me while i'm down. If you knew the traumatic event that started everything you'd understand. I'm not one of those dads who wants to leave his son. I don't at all, but I also don't want to die alone in a country that isn't 'home', and continue being miserable. I've been trying to get better for 2 years now but the only light I can ever see at the end of the tunnel is Cornwall. 
        Anybody had a similar experience?
      • By Anorak
        I've been offered the chance to go and work in Sydney by my current employers, and wanted to get some opinions on the the deal they're offering me.
        They're going to sponsor me on a 457, and they're happy to also sponsor me for permanent residency via a 186 but I'll have to cover the costs if I went for direct entry now. The idea being they get me there sooner, but we'd get the security of permanent residency.
        I'd be getting 110K (inc super) as a software engineer with myself (working), partner (not working, maybe after we are permanent), and three school age children, and we plan to rent at first.
        Deal or no deal?
      • By Ozzie
        So we're now moving to Brisbane due to work. Bit of an abrupt change of plans but all good.
        Clothes wise - I've heard a lot it's humid all year round with a slight dip in 'winter' months. I take it we won't be needing any suit jackets/work wool tops/jumpers/stockings?
        Bedding - no duvets?
        Also, I'll have a read through the Brisbane section, however any advice about nice family friendly areas to live that are no more than 45 min commutable (by train/bus) would be appreciated.
        All advice appreciated, thanks.