MOVING NEAR SYDNEY ?? OR BRISBANE ?? CANT DECIDE

Guest poeblo

Guest poeblo

Hi All

Were a family from Lancashire , we have got our Perminent residence visa and are looking to move in June 2006...

I have registered with an employment agency in Sydney who says that Sydney is the places to live for my occupation ( I work in travel ) ...

My husbands occupation is in aerospace .

We have been to Brisbane several times and love it , we want to live near Brsbane, however if I can get a good job in Sydney we will consider moving there also .

My question is :

Where in Sydney is a good suburb to live in ?? we are looking to be near people but a house that is detached, also close to a good school train for comuting etc...

We have family in Canberra and Brisbane .

We need advice on renting , banks , buyng cars and our driving licences ,jobs and schools

Not much then :lol:

Also since we got our visa , my hubbie has been diagnosed with type 2 diebeties , his treatment in the uk is free for life, how will this affect us in Australia ?? any advice on this would be much appreciated

I also hope to get to know people through this forum also

Regards

Paula

• 2 weeks later...
Guest BrerRabbit

Hi Paula

Haven't been to Brisbane but it looks great! We visited Sydney this time last year and hoping for our visa grant before Xmas, to leave in February. Decided to head for Sydney mainly because we have a little bit of family there and a couple our own age we know there too - a bit of a network to lean on if we need them. We don't see ourselves settling there for years to come but initially we'd like to 'do Sydney'!!

I've looked a lot at places to stay all over the city and the suburbs. It depends what you want. We want to be near enough to the beach but not necessarily right on it (although that would be nice!) and near to the city to get decent jobs. So we're looking at the north shore district - Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Balgowlah, Killerney Heights - check out http://www.domain.com.au

These areas are really nice and not cheap but you're close to the Manly ferry to get intot he city for work and close to the beaches. There's a fair bit of snobbery about living in the south of Sydney but there's some lovely suburbs, close to beaches (Bondi) and cheaper than the northern beaches. Our friends live in the northern beaches aswell so that's our excuse!

We also visited outer suburbs - Hornsby, Berowrah - all lovely, much quiter and a long commute to the city, but cheaper or more value for money - whichever way you look at it! Also wen to Thornleigh and Wesstleigh - pretty new areas on the edge of the city, lovely modern houses and good schools by all accounts.

Hope this helps! As I said, depends what you want.

Zoe

Guest BrerRabbit

Hi Paula

Haven't been to Brisbane but it looks great! We visited Sydney this time last year and hoping for our visa grant before Xmas, to leave in February. Decided to head for Sydney mainly because we have a little bit of family there and a couple our own age we know there too - a bit of a network to lean on if we need them. We don't see ourselves settling there for years to come but initially we'd like to 'do Sydney'!!

I've looked a lot at places to stay all over the city and the suburbs. It depends what you want. We want to be near enough to the beach but not necessarily right on it (although that would be nice!) and near to the city to get decent jobs. So we're looking at the north shore district - Frenchs Forest, Forestville, Balgowlah, Killerney Heights - check out http://www.domain.com.au

These areas are really nice and not cheap but you're close to the Manly ferry to get into the city for work and close to the beaches. There's a fair bit of snobbery about living in the south of Sydney but there's some lovely suburbs, close to beaches (Bondi) and cheaper than the northern beaches. Our friends live in the northern beaches aswell so that's our excuse!

We also visited outer suburbs - Hornsby, Berowrah - all lovely, much quiter and a long commute to the city, but cheaper or more value for money - whichever way you look at it! Also went to Thornleigh and Westleigh - pretty new areas on the edge of the city, lovely modern houses and good schools by all accounts.

Hope this helps! As I said, depends what you want.

Zoe :?

Archived