Think our dream might be over - for now.

Guest HappyBunny

Sorry you are doing it tough. We call it rendering here in Vic.

Have you thought of getting a part time job in the pokies you can do a gaming licence and rsa in a day and often you can find hours to suit around the family.

My daughter works in a poky venue casual and it works well with her studies.

People always want to bet and have a drink even when times are tough even more so then I think.

:smile:

Guest jewels1356

good luck i have a freind who is a plasterer out thier sunshine coast as far as i know hes doing good only spoook to him a few weeks ago hes got his own besusines sorry about the spelling but i will keep my fingers crossed

julie

xx

Thanks to everyone for their support, particularly Gilly and J-InOz. It is comforting to know that we are not the only ones struggling (up until I read your posts it seemed everyone else had come over and landed on their feet) and wish both of you all the best in improving your standard of living, after all that is what most of us have come for. As for us, we are going to try and make it to xmas, as my youngest starts kindy next January so it will give me the chance to work during the days which will make all the difference. Can I just say I'm not homesick, just feeling that I can't take anymore kicks to the stomach. The day I wrote my initial post our car had just broken down and it was that that tipped me over the edge, it seems all we are doing at the moment is paying out money hand over fist and not getting enough in. I am still looking for evening/night work to help out, no luck yet, but we have taken on a paper round (don't laugh) it is only an hour a week to deliver 3 rounds and if someone else drops out and we can take on a couple more it will be enough to almost pay our food bill a week, so it's something. It's not the life we came out for, but if we can stick it out a bit longer maybe things will improve. At least in the UK you have a safety net if everything goes wrong, which is a comfort, so I guess from that point of view I am getting cold feet about being here. For those of you that recommended moving interstate look at Rubiks post about moving costs from Victoria to Queensland and you will realise how expensive it really is.

Aldo, sorry for the confusion my OH has been doing rendering since he's been here, it's just for some strange reason most of the ozzies call it solid plastering. We have been told they do 'Real' plastering in WA, so if anyone can deny or confirm this it would be helpful. Thanks again x

Good Luck...I hope it all works out for you. If your not homesick and dont want to give up on living in Oz then I would stick it out...things can only get better :yes:

Good on ya for sticking it out for a bit longer. I know the sunshine doesn't pay the bills and at times, when you are feeling really crappy, nothing can lift your mood, even the sunshine. It sure aint easy trying to find money for bills that you haven't got money for. If you do internet banking I would suggest you pay some money each week towards your main bills via Bpay. I do this and most the time when a bill does come I am often in credit. I had to do this because there were certain months when I would get the rates/electric and gas all within a week. I know money is tight, but $20 a week (or what ever you can afford) off certain bills soon adds up over 3 months. We just get stung for rego twice in one month (we can only do 3 months at a time)and unfortunatley you can't do that via BPay.

We do: phone and internet, gas, electricity, water rates and rates on it. I would highly recommend it.

Good luck.

J

• 5 weeks later...

we came back over a year ago ,we was living on the Gold Coast the work situation was very bad all i had was tempory ,and casual work nothing nothng was permant so we came back to the uk after 5 months a part of us wish we stayed a bit more but we spent so much already

Guest HappyBunny
we came back over a year ago ,we was living on the Gold Coast the work situation was very bad all i had was tempory ,and casual work nothing nothng was permant so we came back to the uk after 5 months a part of us wish we stayed a bit more but we spent so much already

We are trying to stick it out as OH has a perm job now, not plastering though. He is really enjoying it but pay is pretty dire and we are struggling financially. I try to keep positive and remind myself that it is better for our kids in oz. Do you think you will come back out?

Happy Bunny I might be a little simplistic about this one, but would it not be worthwhile to advertise in the free rag to do private plastering jobs ?..or.. When I was short of cash as a Student I used to go door to door offering my services as a Handy man could this your hubby not do the same?

If you look at Aldo photo's (yes Aldo I have been snooping, very impressive!) you will see that he has built a few outside entertainment areas, I would n't be surprised if a BBQ/Entertainment Area construction business would take off in OZ. With your hubbies skills as a plaster, roofer etc. it maybe worth a try!

Guest brooksey

I'm in same boat. I'm a carpenter and can't find work. People are saying things will pick up in new year but i'm not holding my breath. We aren't going home as it takes approx nine months to get a pet passport for our dog (according to petair ) and work situation in Yorkshire is worse than here . May as well be unemployed in sunshine.

Guest HappyBunny
Happy Bunny I might be a little simplistic about this one, but would it not be worthwhile to advertise in the free rag to do private plastering jobs ?..or.. When I was short of cash as a Student I used to go door to door offering my services as a Handy man could this your hubby not do the same?

If you look at Aldo photo's (yes Aldo I have been snooping, very impressive!) you will see that he has built a few outside entertainment areas, I would n't be surprised if a BBQ/Entertainment Area construction business would take off in OZ. With your hubbies skills as a plaster, roofer etc. it maybe worth a try!

We have already considered him advertising for private work on the side, but it's not that simple. You need to be licenced to advertise for work here. It costs money to be licenced as you need to take courses and get all the relevant insurances and prove that your business is/will be solvent and the process takes quite a long time. It is something that my OH wants to do next year when I go back to work and things aren't as tight financially, with a view to going completely self employed.

Guest HappyBunny
I'm in same boat. I'm a carpenter and can't find work. People are saying things will pick up in new year but i'm not holding my breath. We aren't going home as it takes approx nine months to get a pet passport for our dog (according to petair ) and work situation in Yorkshire is worse than here . May as well be unemployed in sunshine.

Sorry to hear you are finding it tough as well. Like you said if we go home we will only be unemployed in the UK with the miserable weather there. When we checked about our dogs we were told they could go as soon as they had their rabies jabs and blood tests. If we stayed 6 months then they wouldn't need to go into quarantine in the UK if we went before they would only need to do the balance from when they were vacinnated if that makes sense. Still don't even think about that, just try and keep positive that things will work out here. Does your visa allow you to do other work? you might find something else you enjoy even if it's not your trade. x

• 2 years later...

Do you realise your entitled for Child Benefit and Rent assist if your on a perm visa (depending on your income). Just thought Id mention as some people think they have to wait 2 years.

Think the paper round was a great idea - Good on Ya as the ozzies say.

We lived in Perth some years ago, and worked in Perth, we went travelling for 6 months and returned back to Perth. The job my hubby was supposed to start was delayed by 2 weeks and we were really broke travelling around oz, so his boss said if your really stuck, we need someone in the kitchen of the restaurant. My hubby took it, it filled the gap and he got fed well!!! His friends and family laughed here, but feck them. Theres no shame in a honest days work!!!

Just realised this is an old thread!! Hope your still in OZ!!

cheers cazmayo

Archived