Think our dream might be over - for now.

Guest HappyBunny

Guest HappyBunny

Hi everyone, we have been here for 6 weeks and unfortunately my OH can't get a regular run of work. He is a plasterer. People keep promising they've got a long run of work and then after a couple of weeks lay him off without notice when they've caught up with their workload. He then has to look for more work meaning he is off for 2 or 3 days. We are also having to wait for payment as he is self employed. We have been chasing $2000 owed and have just got $800 in today but the rest is still outstanding. We have only had one person that has paid on time. The upshoot of this is that we are eating into our savings to survive. My OH can't find permanent employment as a plasterer so has gone for a couple of other permanent trade jobs. He has been offered one today but because it's through the books the hourly rate is 50% less than on ABN. The long and the short of it is we can't survive on that and I am limited as to what work I can do because my little one is not at school. We have been so stressed and have decided reluctantly to go back to the UK for the time being. My husband can get his old job back and my little one is of school age in the UK so I can work. It will cost a small fortune to ship our things back and put the dogs in quarantine, but our fear is that if we stay we will use up all our savings and end up in debt. At least in the UK we will have the means to pay the cost of returning off.

I can't express how awful I feel, I have felt physically sick for days worrying about people not paying up what they owe. At least I feel we are doing something positive about it rather than just sticking our heads in the sand. Not such a happy bunny today.

Guest taffy 62

Try www.jobsearch.gov.au or www.seek.com.au you may find something on there.

You can type in different locations and may find more jobs come up in his field somewhere else.

Sorry about the situation your in, can you do something in the evenings. thats what I did for a start just to get by. I looked after the kids in the day then did waitressing at night so then hubby looked after the kids. That way we didnt have to pay for child care.

Its just a suggestion. When we first came here we nearly had to declare ourselves bancrupt it got so bad but somehow we survived and came on alright. Now we are glad we stuck it out and in the long run we have had a better life.

Hope things come right for you. :smile:

taffy 62 is right (they've got the badge, worn the t-shirt). You have invested so much money in trying to realise your dream that the thought of some shady contractors not paying your OH and making you pack your bags doesn't seem right. Has your OH thought about maybe a change of careers, even if it is just for the short term until he can establish some contacts with reputable employers? And as taffy 63 has suggested can you not do a little evening work to help you over this difficult period? I know that bringing up a little 'un is hard work (there is 13 months between our two), but you never know, you may enjoy the break and the contact with other adults.

All I am saying is, please don't let this short-term blip ( I'm sure it is) get you down and please give it a fair chance.

Good Luck.

Howard.

Guest HappyBunny
Try www.jobsearch.gov.au or www.seek.com.au you may find something on there.

You can type in different locations and may find more jobs come up in his field somewhere else.

Sorry about the situation your in, can you do something in the evenings. thats what I did for a start just to get by. I looked after the kids in the day then did waitressing at night so then hubby looked after the kids. That way we didnt have to pay for child care.

Its just a suggestion. When we first came here we nearly had to declare ourselves bancrupt it got so bad but somehow we survived and came on alright. Now we are glad we stuck it out and in the long run we have had a better life.

Hope things come right for you. :smile:

Thanks for replying, we have been on the job search sites constantly. As I said, no permanent plastering jobs and my OH has applied for several other permanent trade related jobs and has been offered two. The wages for both are awful. I have been looking for part time evening work but there is hardly anything around either evenings or nights. There seems to be far less evening jobs in oz than in the uk, even the supermarkets don't work that late. If we go now we might be able to come back in a couple of years. If we stay and go bankrupt we won't even be able to get back to the UK and we'd lose everything. I feel so sick that we are letting our kids down (they love it here) but know that financial stability and keeping a roof over their heads is more important.

So sorry to hear that things are that bad HB. I hope that you have enough that you can salvage so that you can get your heads back above water - it must be incredibly difficult to establish yourself when you dont have the regular (decent) income coming in. Hope it all works out for you!

So sorry to hear that things are that bad HB. I hope that you have enough that you can salvage so that you can get your heads back above water - it must be incredibly difficult to establish yourself when you dont have the regular (decent) income coming in. Hope it all works out for you!

I think that that is what we are all trying to say in our own cumbersome ways.

Hope it all works out for you

Guest sweetpea0701

Hi There

Surley any job is better than nothing.

Also, can you not find a job that perhaps has child care facilities?

It seems such a shame to come back after everything you have been through.

Also, the costs do they not outway the staying ?

I hope you can figure something out

Guest OldiesRUs

That is such a shame. Surely the cost of coming back is going to eat even more into your savings? Wouldn't it be worth giving it a bit longer? If the permanent job is less money at least he will get paid consistently as opposed to earning a lot more but not actually getting it.

It is an awful dilema for you and I do sympathise. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Jean:wubclub:

Guest claireandmark

Oz is a very big country, perhaps you should try another part of it? it would be a lot cheaper then moving back to the uk.

Where abouts are you based at the moment?

Guest the terry's

HappyBunny.....my heart goes out to you. It's hard with a little one I know, have been trying to get local job at supermarket to put into the kitty but there's no jobs here either what with the crunch and all. I really hope things work out for you all, big hugz.

Helenx

Guest caza75

hi happy bunny,

we are headin out to gold coast in jan as my OH is also a plasterer an i was under the impression that there was loads of building work goin on :unsure: we are only stayin for 4-6 weeks as a recci trip and will be in a place called bonigin but we will travel about ..

i am so sorry you are havin a hard time at the min an i hope things work out ... can you not move a bit further on down or up the coast ? it would be cheaper for you to move to somewhere else in oz as that is what we have decided to do if that part not work for us .. i will send you big hug an positive vibes an keep you chin up.:yes:

caza x

Has your hubby thought of doing something else which will bring in a regular/reliable pay check? I ask because someone I know her hubby was a plumber, when he came he worked as a gardener which he really quite enjoyed. Is it worth looking at a different part of QLD?

Ali

Guest HappyBunny
hi happy bunny,

we are headin out to gold coast in jan as my OH is also a plasterer an i was under the impression that there was loads of building work goin on :unsure: we are only stayin for 4-6 weeks as a recci trip and will be in a place called bonigin but we will travel about ..

i am so sorry you are havin a hard time at the min an i hope things work out ... can you not move a bit further on down or up the coast ? it would be cheaper for you to move to somewhere else in oz as that is what we have decided to do if that part not work for us .. i will send you big hug an positive vibes an keep you chin up.:yes:

caza x

Hi Caza, thanks the for virtual hug. The problem we've found is there are lots of jobs advertised, but for plasterers but they are not permanent. You get taken on, told there is loads of work, but it doesn't materialise. It's the same in the uk, companies take on extra work, haven't got the staff to complete it so take on some temporary people and get rid of them as soon as the work is done. The only thing is they seem a bit more upfront about the practice in the UK, whereas over here they lead you on and then lay you off without notice. It's less of a problem if you are both working and don't have kids. To be honest, we were originally going to go to Adelaide and yes the rental is cheaper there (although it's relative because you get a smaller house for the money) but came here for the work ironically. If we had gone to Adelaide I don't think we'd be in the position now, but unfortunately moving interstate would cost much the same as moving back. I feel so torn and don't know what to do for the best. Good luck for when you come out. x

Guest HappyBunny
Has your hubby thought of doing something else which will bring in a regular/reliable pay check? I ask because someone I know her hubby was a plumber, when he came he worked as a gardener which he really quite enjoyed. Is it worth looking at a different part of QLD?

Ali

Hi Ali, hubby is a plasterer by trade by was a multi-trade in the UK. He can do roofing, tiling, basic carpentry, basic plumbing etc. The problem we are having is that most of the trade jobs here are only temporary. We have tried to be positive but there are only so many blows we can take. The job he has been offered is installing skylights, so utilises his roofing and plastering skills, but because it's permanent the money is low. We need the stability of permanent work but the wages of being a subbie. We have been told that you need a lot of luck to make a go of it over here and that if does get easier when you have made contacts. The thing is we've had so many setbacks since we've been here that we both have cold feet. We are torn between going back now and trying to salvage something or staying and if it continues to go as it is at the moment ending up losing everything. I'm sorry for being such a misery and thanks for taking the time to reply. x

Guest caza75

hi happy bunny,

i know what you mean about the work as over here at the min work is crap an when you do get it the wage is crap also .. my OH is not even workin at the mo but hopefully the work situation will pick up in oz. when we first began the process our agent had convinced us to go to perth but house prices put us off:yes: but maybe after our visit we will change our mind :err: it a hard situation to be in an it even harder when you have a kid but i hope you are able to stick it a bit longer an then hopefully it will work out ... some time you have to take the rough with the smooth an i hope your rough is comin to an end pet..

caza xx

Hey you're not a misery, you're just trying to find a solution - I didn't realise that it cost so much to move interstate and thought that this may have been a cheaper option for you initially rather than having to upsticks and move back.

Hugz

Ali

Guest J-inOz

Hi, we live in Adelaide and the other half is a carpenter.

We have had the same here and we have been here for 3 years.

Things are done so differently here as far as trades go.

In the UK, the building sites were all owned by the same builder, so the continuity of work was always there, you would just move onto the next house until they had all been finished.

Here the sites could have lots of builders running their own show.

This makes it hard to have continuous work.

We are in the same position that we need for the other half to be constantly in work as we have no savings to fall back on (all our money is tied up in our house)

Christmas is a real bummer because most trades slow down or even stop from mid december until the beginning of Feb, this is a really hard time for us.

There are the jobs about, but the pay is a pittance especially if you work directly.

I have just got a job in a supermarket, doing night fill, so I won't need childcare.

I am hoping that with this extra money, I won't have to scrape by.

Long gone are the times of enough disposable income for a guaranteed holiday every year.

Dispite all our struggles, we are still here and are here to stay as this is a better place for us.

It is all down to how much you want to stay, we could have given up and gone back ages ago, but the want of a better life for our kids has kept us going.

We also know that the UK is going down hill big time and besides family, there is nothing left for us there.

Some people fall lucky when they come here and land themselves a really good job and are more times than not mortgage free, so it is easier for them and you will get others that will always have to work at trying to keep afloat, also you will get people that work their way up eventually to something decent.

All cases are different

If money permits, I suggest you should give it a bit longer, but I have a feeling that you are feeling homesick at the mo and that is making things a lot worse.

On the other hand, if you really don't like it here, then maybe you should cut your losses and return home but just remember why you left the UK in the first place, surely those reasons are still there.

Good luck in whatever you decide:wubclub:

J

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi Happybunny

Sorry things are not working out as planned. I think for most jobs you apply for over here they start you off as temp and if it works out then they will make you permanent full time. If he has been offered a job full time I would be tempted to take it until he finds something else. People in Australia like to see that you have been employed over here or have Australian Certificates. Whilst he is in this job he can carry on looking for more work.

Why not look further a field. Do you have to stop where you are now? Could you not apply for jobs in Melbourne or Sydney and then if you are succesful move.

I know it's hard when our eating in to your savings but 6 weeks isn't a long time and it would be a shame to throw it all away. You have had some great advice from other posters.

I wish you luck and hope everything works out for you.

Big Hugs

Kate

Hi, my husband is a bricklayer/construction worker. He started work here concreting but the guy was a nightmare, work sometimes not others, he'd drive in to work to find job cancelled. He's now working for another guy building but its not permenant. Seems every job here is casual work with no continuity. In UK he went to work every day mon-fri 7-5. He's just not used to things here at all. It really gets him down not going to work and applying for other jobs he's no experience in just to try. Im working as a casual nurse and we are ok regarding money at the moment. Still renting though as my hubbie feels he just cant continue like this. Funny really I thought it would be me wanting to go back to UK. I know things are bad there to and I keep reminding him of the reasons we left but his self esteem seems really low. Whatever you decide I hope it all works for you. Thinking of you, best wishes Gilly NSW

Guest kizznandy

Hi there, well sounds like its already made up for u,that u want to rtn and there is no option of staying around here.I live on Tamborine mtn and i know its only a short drive from u, also that there are ways of making ends meet if u really want to stay.There are always jobs in our local paper not plasterers though ! But i know whats its like trying to make ends meet ,what do you do for a living ? My hubby a local sparky so can ask about if theres any one looking for a plasterer.

I do think ur throwing the towel in a little early and yes we too have struggled over the yrs,with 4 kids and a total change of life it was hard but now we manage,Im a nannie for a local family after school for three hrs having looked after my own four its the job i know best.If you want to get in touch drop us a line, after all its not what u know its who u know.As they say.....

Not sure about the rest of oz but plastering here (QLD) is very rare. Walls & ceilings are all gyproc / taped and jointed. Maybe go for rendering work?

Guest Richard and carole

Hi there, Maybe your just feeling a bit low as when things are hard we want to run back to a place of safety. Just try and give yourself another few weeks at least cos i think you might go back and regret it. I say when there is no work comming in thats when you say enough is enough. Even a little to pay you to just get by, after all it's took a long time to plan and prepare to come here in the first place.

Six weeks is not long and i believe to try and hang in there and see how you go.

Just try and remember money isn't everything, your health, welbeing and life has given you this opportunity to try this. We all have our story's to tell and some have not had this chance to try.

Hope you find happiness , stay strong, carole.

Guest HappyBunny

Thanks to everyone for their support, particularly Gilly and J-InOz. It is comforting to know that we are not the only ones struggling (up until I read your posts it seemed everyone else had come over and landed on their feet) and wish both of you all the best in improving your standard of living, after all that is what most of us have come for. As for us, we are going to try and make it to xmas, as my youngest starts kindy next January so it will give me the chance to work during the days which will make all the difference. Can I just say I'm not homesick, just feeling that I can't take anymore kicks to the stomach. The day I wrote my initial post our car had just broken down and it was that that tipped me over the edge, it seems all we are doing at the moment is paying out money hand over fist and not getting enough in. I am still looking for evening/night work to help out, no luck yet, but we have taken on a paper round (don't laugh) it is only an hour a week to deliver 3 rounds and if someone else drops out and we can take on a couple more it will be enough to almost pay our food bill a week, so it's something. It's not the life we came out for, but if we can stick it out a bit longer maybe things will improve. At least in the UK you have a safety net if everything goes wrong, which is a comfort, so I guess from that point of view I am getting cold feet about being here. For those of you that recommended moving interstate look at Rubiks post about moving costs from Victoria to Queensland and you will realise how expensive it really is.

Aldo, sorry for the confusion my OH has been doing rendering since he's been here, it's just for some strange reason most of the ozzies call it solid plastering. We have been told they do 'Real' plastering in WA, so if anyone can deny or confirm this it would be helpful. Thanks again x

Guest Richard and carole

Hiya, I know how hard it is, my hubby is working to support us and has changed jobs 4 times in nearly 3 years, we have been to victoria and tried there and came back again 2 cars and all our 20 foot container full, back and forth! It's been terrible and very trying to say the least.

Good on ya doing anything for work, it shows you have a fighting spirit and i think some do land lucky and others have to scrape by.

We have spent a fortune here on removals, rentals, and dipping in with unemployment and setting up costs.

I have to say the first 2 years thats all we seemed to have done, although when you can go out every day and enjoy the sunshine and get washing dried in a few hours, that i still carn't get used too!!!

Great news you are sticking it out a bit longer, and who knows you could be the fittest person about with all the deliveries!!

It is good to speak about it, as you feel like your the only person who is not' living the dream' as the saying goes.

I really wish you good luck with the p t job hunting, Stay strong. Carole.

Archived