I HATE Australia! Wish we could turn back the clocks!

Guest itskaren

Guest JoanneHattersley

No need to close this thread, everyone has posted very valid points and there was nowt wrong with your original post Karen. We are ALL entitled to opinions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. Thats the beauty of PIO, there is always someone here to offer advice (not always good I grant you!!LOL!) and there is always someone here with information that could help.

You have been through some tough times. Sometimes those tough times come out in different ways. Moving is one of the biggest stress causers (is that a word?) and moving to the other side of the world must surely add a few points to that.

There have been many good points on this thread. However only YOU know what is right for you and if you do end up going back to UK at least you will be able to say "I did it" rather than "I wish i had"

Good Luck with everything that you do and PLEASE keep in touch with us on PIO! We are here to help you

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Hello Kitty
Earlswood - even for a family with kids it's frustraing. I find that their education system is so behind and it just feels like kids aren't educated at the same rate and level as in the UK.

I worked in childcare in the UK so admit that I am a tough one to please. But here, I haven't found a nursery that pleases me at all.

The child/staff ratios are different, the amount of qualified staff in a room is a lot less and there is no early years curriculum. They encourage kids to sleep in the day (when mine stopped day resting nearly a year ago).

I could go on but I'll stop there.

That's another frustration to make people aware of!

You can't judge the education system by your experience with child care.

If Australia is so far behind the UK in education how come Australia comes out ahead of the UK in the OECD education surveys for literacy, mathematics and science. In fact Australia came out in the above average countries for all areas whereas the UK came in at 'average'. Feel free to go to the OECD PISA site for further clarification.

Most kids in Victoria at least will go to 3 year old kindergarten and 4 year old kindergarten. They have a rest if they are there for a full day but otherwise they are fully engaged in activities and play. When they get to school at age 5 in their prep year they soon learn to read and write. My daughter was reading 200 pages novels by the end of her first year at school as were many of her classmates.

Guest itskaren
Hi Karen hope you are feeling better today.

I agree we shouldnt close the post.

This site is for people to come onto to release their emotions along with the general day to day questions.

A lot of people feel they cant talk to those close to them for one reason or another, and it helps to talk to cyber friends as there are so many people on here some one is bound to relate to how your feeling and offer some support.

Even if you feel you havnt had support ( which I dont think is the case here) it does help to release things by writing things down, the only difference you did was click the button! which wasnt a bad thing in my opionion.

So hang in there and take care.:yes:

Thanks Taffy! On reflection I just thought that 'I hate Australia' was perhaps upsetting people! I know we all have different opinions but some in the 'yes camp' are just a bit harsh.

I am feeling a bit better today!

Karen xx

Guest itskaren
No need to close this thread, everyone has posted very valid points and there was nowt wrong with your original post Karen. We are ALL entitled to opinions whether they be good, bad or indifferent. Thats the beauty of PIO, there is always someone here to offer advice (not always good I grant you!!LOL!) and there is always someone here with information that could help.

You have been through some tough times. Sometimes those tough times come out in different ways. Moving is one of the biggest stress causers (is that a word?) and moving to the other side of the world must surely add a few points to that.

There have been many good points on this thread. However only YOU know what is right for you and if you do end up going back to UK at least you will be able to say "I did it" rather than "I wish i had"

Good Luck with everything that you do and PLEASE keep in touch with us on PIO! We are here to help you

thanks so much. I am truly touched.

Guest itskaren
I am as ever gobsmacked at the amount of posts someone can generate by giving an opinion. Have you guys noticed the orignal poster has only actually answered 1 question put to them about why they hate OZ so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :GEEK:

There are lots of reasons why and most people will know that from my previous posts. As you said it is an opionion so you take take it or shove it! I don't care.

Guest JoanneHattersley
I am as ever gobsmacked at the amount of posts someone can generate by giving an opinion. Have you guys noticed the orignal poster has only actually answered 1 question put to them about why they hate OZ so much.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :GEEK:

Dear AnxiousMum

It does not matter whether the OP answered one question, 10 questions or whether she answered any at all! She needed to vent what she was feeling and POMS is a great place to do that. Everyone on here has been there, seen it, done it and bought the T shirt. We all know exactly how she feels!

It is her opinion and does it really matter how many replies are generated? That is the point of PIO: Being able to do exactly this!

We have been here a year in December and detest this country. Sorry if I upset anyone but it is a backward country in camparison to the UK. The banking, nursing for sure, supermarkets, I could go on for ever.

The UK is not really that bad! Just make sure anyone who is in the process of coming over that it really is not the land of milk and honey!

Good luck is all I say!

If you hate it fair enough, the solutions simple buy a one way ticket back to the uK. l don't understand why some people who hate it stay here and become 'whinging poms from hell' compaining everyday about how everythings crap and not like it is in the UK, like the supermarkets, TV, pubs not as good the chocloate and fish and chips don't taste the same they can't buy their favaourite brand of crisps here. If they hate it so much they should go back.

Guest JoanneHattersley
If you hate it fair enough, the solutions simple buy a one way ticket back to the uK. l don't understand why some people who hate it stay here and become 'whinging poms from hell' compaining everyday about how everythings crap and not like it is in the UK, like the supermarkets, TV, pubs not as good the chocloate and fish and chips don't taste the same they can't buy their favaourite brand of crisps here. If they hate it so much they should go back.

OzBoy - the OP has merely expressed an opinion. Please respect it as just that.

Guest TheArmChairDetective
We were talking about what had been worthwhile and what had not - she reported that some of the Australian presenters received less than flattering evaluations because of their presentation of "cutting edge" programs which had been tried, used and tossed by virtually every other nation represented there.

In management speak, that's called cascading, by the time those at the bottom get whats been cascaded from above.....

Fortunately/unfortunately everything seems to revolve around America and everyone else,given time, just seems to copy.

In management speak, that's called cascading, by the time those at the bottom get whats been cascaded from above.....

Fortunately/unfortunately everything seems to revolve around America and everyone else,given time, just seems to copy.

Actually, Canada and UK got some accolades so one cant generalize to what is going on being a downflow from USA.

Hi, Itskaren, Stuju, and Quoll

Although I now can not say "I hate Australia" and do appreciate a lot of good things about it, I have been through that stage, believe me!!! too Long!!!!!!! a story to go in to....I agree with a lot of the statements in your post. I have lived here since 2005 went back to the u.k. I thought for good, then due to circumstances, returned after six months, Will probably have to be for good this time...My question if you dont mind to answer is...please tell me how you try and "content" yourself to life in a place you do not really want to live in? I struggle on a daily basis.

Hi, Itskaren, Stuju, and Quoll

Although I now can not say "I hate Australia" and do appreciate a lot of good things about it, I have been through that stage, believe me!!! too Long!!!!!!! a story to go in to....I agree with a lot of the statements in your post. I have lived here since 2005 went back to the u.k. I thought for good, then due to circumstances, returned after six months, Will probably have to be for good this time...My question if you dont mind to answer is...please tell me how you try and "content" yourself to life in a place you do not really want to live in? I struggle on a daily basis.

How do you live where you dont want to be?

Well, for me, I rationalize that it is better to be here with the man I love in a place I hate than in a place I love without the man I love. Simple really. Still doesnt stop me hating the place though and all the little irritants that would once have washed over me now begin to bug the heck out of me. I practice thought stopping (nothing like a bit of cognitive behaviour therapy to keep you on track) on a regular basis and positive affirmations (which I once thought was mumbo jumbo!). I keep busy - even though I have officially retired from full time work, I have a part time job which keeps me out of mischief. I also have a raft of hobbies which could easily take up my time if I werent working.

I go home for at least a month at least once a year to catch up with my aged rellies and No1 son - I have a count down feature on my pda so I know how many more sleeps it is until my next visit because I usually book the next trip almost as soon as I get back. Usually I go on my own and indulge myself in enjoying all the things that I miss about England. I cry buckets when I leave home and I feel like I am going back into jail when I get here but then I have my soul mate here and it is good to see him - also, we couldnt afford the phone bills if I were to stay there for, say, half a year.

If we hadnt passed the point of no return it would be easier to persuade him that there was a life to be had in UK - as it is, we are both knocking on a bit now and financially it would be a disaster especially with the Aus dollar (which would be our only means of support) being in the toilet at the moment.

I also keep taking the Tatts tickets:biglaugh:

Quoll:

I hate to think of you being in a place that you loath so much... although to be fair I heard things about your area that certainly stopped us looking at it as a viable option...

However, on the bright side (as there always has to be one!) being that OZ really is a huge place, and that areas must vary, and being that you are both getting along a bit, you don't suppose there would be a chance of a relocation now - a retirement option within OZ??

As I've said 100 times before, there are many places we would be miserable, whether UK, USA or OZ, but here in Tassie I think we've found the best option for us under the circumstances, given the times, etc.. That's not to say that we'll be here forever or that our needs or circumstances won't change... You've got to be adaptable, if nothing else & be prepared to make the most of situations as they avail themselves...

Clearly you've made many sacrifices to be with the one you love, and I can only trust that is reciprocated, and I know you are doing the right thing by looking hard for the positives, and if there are things that drive you nuts, then maybe avoidance is best, where possible... But maybe there is another area of OZ where you would feel happier... Even if that means a move away from OH's family, you've had to move away from yours, but at least you'll still be in the same country, even if it's a plane ride away... How does he feel though, knowing that you are so miserable in your adopted country? His HOMELAND?? What does he do to make you feel better...?

After living 6-yrs in Chicago in a love/hate relationship w/it I knew I had to get out - fab city, wonderful conveniences, amazing culture, architecture, ambiance, people, etc., but in the end the superficiality of some of it was exhausting, the Trendiness to the exclusion of Loyalty depressed me hugely, and I just couldn't stand the Rat Race any longer, I had to get out & get back to the country... which is where I'd still be if Life hadn't thrown a curved ball... So, back to Blighty, which I hated with a vengeance for 5/6 years,although I always made the most of whatever came my way - I didn't vegetate! And then I met my soul mate - then being in UK had a purpose & a very positive purpose, if I'd not come back, I never would have met him and Life would have been so different, unfulfilled, and I wouldn't have known the happiness I've enjoyed these past 71/2 years, and also the opportunity to find a new life for us together in OZ, albeit in a very quirky and different part of OZ, but Australia nonetheless... I don't think either of us could stand the heat & humidity of places like Brissie or Cairns, and while I love the desert almost as much as I love the sea, I'm not sure about the Outback, the bush that seems to go on forever... Visit of course, live - I don't think so, not with all those buggy friends! The water restrictions of Perth would do my head in, all the new subdivisions, new estates, the urbanization of the coast and suburbs, that goes on in all the most 'popular' places, I/we couldn't take that either... We're very fussy & know it, I suspect you KNOW what you like too, you just can't find it, or a proximity of it in your current locale - perhaps the time is ripe to do some exploring and see if you can't find somewhere in OZ that would suit you better, so you would have more reasons to be cheerful.... :yes:

It is true YOU CAN THINK YOURSELF HAPPY!!! xXx

Guest earlswood
I everythings crap and not like it is in the UK, like the supermarkets, TV, pubs not as good the chocloate and fish and chips don't taste the same they can't buy their favaourite brand of crisps here. If they hate it so much they should go back.

You forgot melton mowbray pork pies and brains faggots me-mate.:jiggy:

You forgot melton mowbray pork pies and brains faggots me-mate.:jiggy:

I believe that you can buy both of those items in Perth, if not the whole of Australia.

Guest earlswood
I believe that you can buy both of those items in Perth, if not the whole of Australia.

Can you provide a link for melton mowbray pork pies in Australia mate, or are you telling porkies again.

Can you provide a link for melton mowbray pork pies in Australia mate, or are you telling porkies again.

You have lost me on the use of the word again, that infers that I have done something before, and in regards to telling porkies, I have not.

Our very own IanH Owner of Best of British is the person you want to pm.

His shop is in Perth, but I suspect you are already aware of this,mate.

Guest earlswood
You have lost me on the use of the word again, that infers that I have done something before, and in regards to telling porkies, I have not.

Our very own IanH Owner of Best of British is the person you want to pm.

His shop is in Perth, but I suspect you are already aware of this,mate.

you say they are sold all over Oz and I need one and his number ....and the "porkies" aka "pork pie" was a joke.:twitcy:

Quoll:

I hate to think of you being in a place that you loath so much... although to be fair I heard things about your area that certainly stopped us looking at it as a viable option...

However, on the bright side (as there always has to be one!) being that OZ really is a huge place, and that areas must vary, and being that you are both getting along a bit, you don't suppose there would be a chance of a relocation now - a retirement option within OZ??

Aw how sweet of you to worry about me - I'm OK. I dont know why people have it in for Canberra so much. As far as places go it is as good as any and Canberra isnt the problem. It has all the benefits of seasons, being a big city without being a BIIIG city, clean for the most part, less expensive, plenty to do, close enough to Sydney, the coast or the ski fields. We arent close to the outlaws either - they are a 10 hour drive away so they arent the issue. No, it isnt as simple as that, it is the fact that Australia has little that I want or need and, yes, I have been to lots of places and had a look. I cannot in truth say that I have been anywhere that I look at and say "yup, this is the right place for me!" - not even Tasmania, stunning though it may be.

I still think that you know if it is right and if it isnt and no amount of relocation to another state is going to change the fact that you are still in Australia if, indeed it is Australia which is the problem.

There are lots of reasons why and most people will know that from my previous posts. As you said it is an opionion so you take take it or shove it! I don't care.

I apologise for my comments on the thread itskaren, looking back at the post I suppose I didnt look into the matter for as it would feel for you as a person. I do hope you can find peace and get back to the UK if that is your wish. Have to admit slightly taken aback with the shove it comment, but fair point I suppose:biglaugh:

you say they are sold all over Oz and I need one and his number ....

I said I believe. If you want to talk to Ian, search the memberslist for IanH, that will give you his www address and from that you can probably walk to his shop in Perth or ring him, or email him or pm him, or for all I know put yer head out of a window and shout Oi Ian.:smile:

One thing I liked about Aus was that it was behind the times. The Aussies are no diffrent than us they like a moan. Aussies believe SA , New Zealand and Tasmania are all backward.

In that order?:smile:

You say the banking here is backward, I don't think so. I use the ANZ, so easy hand them your card take the money! I feel that wherever you go you will be the same! Also on banking out of 200 odd banks Australia was judged 4th best, UK 44th!

UK bottom AGAIN !

Archived