``Will the last person leaving Australia please turn the lights out.

KY9

76,923 leaving but 149,635 arriving makes the population gain 72,712 in 07/08. I don't think oz really has anything to worry about!

Guest earlswood

If I had been born in Oz their is no way would I have stayed in Oz, I can see where the young people leaving Oz are coming from......Oz is to restricting and boring for people who just "want more " from this life......ITS A BIG WORLD OUT THERE TO EXPLORE.:jiggy:

Guest guest17301

I've asked myself this question a number of times. 'Why is there such a huge shortage of skilled workers in Australia?'

Not that I'm bothered , I'm still going to see for myself, but I must admit it makes me wonder why Australians don't stay in Australia? I mean for example in my profession, nursing, you are more or less guaranteed a job from what I have seen. Where are all the Aussies??

Guest earlswood
I've asked myself this question a number of times. 'Why is there such a huge shortage of skilled workers in Australia?'

Not that I'm bothered , I'm still going to see for myself, but I must admit it makes me wonder why Australians don't stay in Australia? I mean for example in my profession, nursing, you are more or less guareenteed a job from what I have seen. Where are all the Aussies??

iTS THE SAME THE WORLD OVER, people want a change and will always travel to different parts of the world to work and live...all the Aussies I work with would like to live and work in different Countries around the world....people get bored of their own countries.

iTS THE SAME THE WORLD OVER, people want a change and will always travel to different parts of the world to work and live...all the Aussies I work with would like to live and work in different Countries around the world....people get bored of their own countries.

I agree this is definitely a reason for a lot of migrants from developed countries! It is great news that there is such a large emigration from OZ it means that the more places for people that want to live in OZ like Us, and less likelihood of the powers that be becoming more picky who they let in. I would think that this is a global trend though

Guest Andy and Tracy

We were told that loads of the skilled men have gone off to work the mines as the money is so good. China's massive growth needs resources like concrete etc and Australia is partly meeting that need.

Also, loads of youngsters only trained in IT and neglected other courses and trades (bit like here - I let accommodation to Uni students and about 40% of them are doing "media studies" - they all think they're gonna end up on the telly). Eventually, I suppose that means a shortage of skills.

From my experience over there, it seems a bit like England 10 to 15 years ago. Bit quieter and more laid back. The t.v. programmes are boring - I'm not going for the t.v. though, but for Ozzie youngsters, when they see New York and London, they must think they are missing out. There's only so much surfing you can do. Great for us going with young families tho'!

We've got a skills shortage here too - but Employers look to Eastern Europe / Asia to fill the posts. We ought to do what Australia does - and be selective about who we let in. Australia is being very forward thinking, I reckon, with planning ahead for what their country needs.The British Government just make it up as they go along. Already the Eastern Europeans are complaining about their treatment in the UK - won't work for low wages anymore etc.. They'll soon end up going on benefits and becoming lazy - just like the people who should have been doing those jobs in the first place.

Australia is experiencing economic growth too. I think they are just cherry picking the best of us!!!!!

Tracy

Guest mandisfam

All posts on this subject make a good point.

But apart from young aussies on their 2 year working holiday visa to the UK all living and working in London.

Its not often you meet aussies living in the UK, over the age of 35 years.

Why not, I often ask myself, that is because they all go back home to oz to raise a family.

And so I want to raise my family in oz too!

Mandisfam

Guest earlswood
All posts on this subject make a good point.

But apart from young aussies on their 2 year working holiday visa to the UK all living and working in London.

Its not often you meet aussies living in the UK, over the age of 35 years.

Why not, I often ask myself, that is because they all go back home to oz to raise a family.

And so I want to raise my family in oz too!

Mandisfam

I have met plenty of Australians over 35 with families living permant there while I was working in the bars in London, the United States have a big Australian community, as I say people move to Countries that suit them.....even if it takes a few moves to find the right place

Every year they publish these figures about who leaves and who arrives.

As for the skills shortage the main reason is the way things changed in training. Once upon a time a long long while ago large companies in Australia trained large numbers of young people as apprentices. This no longer happens the powers that be think training drops from the sky or you are born trained if you live here with skills and experience ready for work. My husband's work used to train hundreds of apprentices in all different fields now they take about 2 or 3 in each area of the company. The changes to the way nurses are trained has lead to a drain on resources for the hospitals etc.

Its a global world now and people look for work globally and I guess that is the future for all countries, people will come and people will go. Its easy and possible now.

I know people working in Hong Kong, Vietnam, US, UK, NZ and that is just me.

Guest guest17301

I have to say my experience of Aussies in the UK is very limited but then I do live in the Midlands and why the hell would they want to live here!

I worked with an excellent Aussie surgical nurse practitioner called Mike Mawr, he married an English nurse I think and where is he now? Back in Oz! he only had good things to say about the country and came here to work.

The only other Aussues I know of are friends of my friend who works in London, they are young single girls and men who have also come to England on a short term working visa and plan to either carry on travelling or go back to Oz. Would be interesting to see how many people know of Australian families living in the UK

I Would be interesting to see how many people know of Australian families living in the UK

Hi Fiona,

We have Ozzie friends, couple same age as ourselves, he is in IT and she is in admin, they left Brisbane as they were not happy with the politics in OZ (human rights + hypocrisy). I also know a Ozzie chiropractor in his 40's as he felt that Oz was mundane, like living in suburbia as he put it, he finds the UK much more exciting. And guess what ? he lives in the Midlands

Cheers

Craig

My son had a school reunion with a large number of boys from his school in London - most of them were well settled and earning nice big salaries (he wasnt!) and had no intention of going back to Aus. I suspect most Aussies are in the big smoke making a motza. A number of his friends were dead jealous that he has dual citizenship and could stay in UK whereas they had to come back after their working holiday visa expired. He certainly has no intention of returning any time soon!

Guest guest17301

Craig, not much to get excited about in the Midlands I live in! Unless you count reading about the latest city council cock up in the local rag or flocking to the coast on the first vaguely sunny day of the year only to find you can't get a parking space or having to drive miles to anywhere remotely picturesque, unless you're loaded and live in one of the lovely rural villages (like my MIL and FIL)

I'm 100% certain that Perth will offer me and my family more than the UK can at this present time. Each to their own and all that.......

Guest John Sydney

Australians leaving the country? been going on since the first convict boat pulled into Sydney harbour. At present it estimated about 1.5 million are overseas at any one time. In the 50-60's it was the UK or "Home" as it was called they headed for now any where they want to go.

the vast majority return to Australia after 5 -10 years and settle back into the Australian life Some remain overseas for life

We have to accept difference and what some like is not what others like. People have been leaving their homeland for hundreds or thousands of years so what is different. Only difference is we do not go conquering people we just swamp them with the masses. :notworthy:

Guest Birdiesinoz
I'd happily put the lights out! I just hope I'm not the last to leave tho@!!

Dont worry, you wont be, there are plenty of us happy to stay here :yes:

Guest earlswood
Craig, not much to get excited about in the Midlands I live in! Unless you count reading about the latest city council cock up in the local rag or flocking to the coast on the first vaguely sunny day of the year only to find you can't get a parking space or having to drive miles to anywhere remotely picturesque, unless you're loaded and live in one of the lovely rural villages (like my MIL and FIL)

I'm 100% certain that Perth will offer me and my family more than the UK can at this present time. Each to their own and all that.......

Are you kidding:chatterbox: I class the Cotswolds where I come from and Stratford area as the Midlands attractive and lively, Birmingham Centre for a night out is good and the shopping is excellent.

loads to be proud of in the Midlands, great history and some great places, I have also found the people from the "Black Country" the nicest and funniest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting.

It's interesting reading the comments on here but you should read the comments on the original link I posted. There are now 60.

LOL looks like the only ones who are not rushing to leave (from the comments) are the Poms who think it is one step down from Paradise and who have recently arrived here:biglaugh:

• 1 month later...
Guest tlander56

Not that I'm bothered , I'm still going to see for myself, but I must admit it makes me wonder why Australians don't stay in Australia? I mean for example in my profession, nursing, you are more or less guaranteed a job from what I have seen. Where are all the Aussies??

I've met loads of young aussie nurses, midwives and doctors whilst working here in Brisbane, and down in Sydney who just can't wait to get out of here and experience what else the world has to offer!:smile:

Archived