When is a PGCE not a PGCE?

Rachel7w

Hello All

I wonder if anyone can help me please? I'm on my final qualification to get me to the sunshine, however there is a query. The PGCE Primary that I am study has two routes to completion - Postgraduate that has 60 credits at Masters Level or Professional that does not, but still gives you Qualified Teacher Status. Basically, I'm trying to find out if both are recognised by the qualification Assessment People in Oz. You could also argue that I want I to know if I have to work my nadgers off to get this, or not. All advice gratefully received.

Thankyou

Rachel

Guest jak2503

hi

i think im correct here, i hold qualified teacher status in a F/E college, i sat a certificate in education and not a pgce, when i spoke to the people in aus i was informed that they recognise the pgce and not the ce, this was due to the degree side, when i sat my cert ed some people with degrees sat a few extra assignments and gained the pgce,

hope this helps.

hi

i think im correct here, i hold qualified teacher status in a F/E college, i sat a certificate in education and not a pgce, when i spoke to the people in aus i was informed that they recognise the pgce and not the ce, this was due to the degree side, when i sat my cert ed some people with degrees sat a few extra assignments and gained the pgce,

hope this helps.

Hi Jak2503

Thankyou for your reply, am i right in thinking then, either would be ok? professional or postgraduate (pgce) following a degree, still a bit confused because one has masters credits and one doesn't and I'd hate to get to the end, and have gone down the wrong route. Sorry, I probably sound a bit daft, but its been hard work to get this far and dont want to mess it up now.

Thankyou again

Rachel

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi Rachel,

I did a BScHons followed by PGCE (General Primary) and had no probs with Skills assessment. They need transcripts of your qualifications aswell as certificates. As long as you have done 4years at degree/post degree level that's ok. The only route they don't accept is people who do a 3yr degree then the GTP program.

I believe the points toward a masters are the UK govt sneaky way of trying to make teaching a masters entry career. If that's what they want then a 21% pay rise would be good (WA teachers are currently considering whether to accept the above pay deal and have been striking !)

Lisa

Hope this helps - good luck !

Lisa

As long as this is a one year certificate after your 3 year degree then you should be fine. The requirements here are for 4 year training and not just the 3 year degree. I can believe that UK is pushing for a Masters requirement seeing as every other occupation seems to be going that way too - it used to be a Masters for Ed Psych but is now a doctorate to practice (or trending that way)

Hi Lisa

Thankyou for your reply. I just didn't wnat to get to the end and think oh xxxx! should've worked harder and got Masters credits. The aim is definitely not to stay in UK so not too concerned about their view on different PGCE-ers. Only 10 more months to go 'til I can apply then.

Yes I think new UK PGCE system sneaky too! Hope the pay rise in Oz comes off. Are you already there, how long have you been out there? How'd you compare it to UK?

Thanks again

Rachel

Guest Darwin's coming too

Hi Rachel,

No unfortunately I'm still here teaching in a very deprived area, but heading out to Perth next year hopefully after Easter I want to hand in my resignation before Feb half term, otherwise I'm stuck here til Summer hols.

WA have offered teachers 21% pay rise but the teachers union haven't agreed to it yet. Each state has their own pay scale but they're pretty similar. Oz teachers have more PPA time too - nearly 3hours per week.

While I was in OZ in the summer there was a big push to offer top teachers (about 50% of classroom teachers) $100k salaries !

Whoopeee !

Good luck with your PGCE

Lisa

Hi Rachel' date='

No unfortunately I'm still here teaching in a very deprived area, but heading out to Perth next year hopefully after Easter I want to hand in my resignation before Feb half term, otherwise I'm stuck here til Summer hols.

WA have offered teachers 21% pay rise but the teachers union haven't agreed to it yet. Each state has their own pay scale but they're pretty similar. Oz teachers have more PPA time too - nearly 3hours per week.

While I was in OZ in the summer there was a big push to offer top teachers (about 50% of classroom teachers) $100k salaries !

Whoopeee !

Good luck with your PGCE

Lisa[/quote']

Hi LisaThankyou for the reply, shame they don't value the teachers here quite so much. Hey Ho! Uk's loss is Oz's gain. I also plan to head out somewhere around Perth, near some friends. That salary info. has definitely given me added umph to get on with my essays, Yippee indeed! Thankyou againGood Luck With Yor PlansRachel

Archived