Further assessment for autistic spectrum disorder?

Guest CathCol

Guest CathCol

HI,

My 4 yrs od has had an initial assessment indicating autistic spectrum disorder. He has NOT been diagnosed with anything.

THe lovely Dr said it could be 8 months before he can be further assessed, She is aware of our intention to emigrate and we may be gone by then.

My query is how can I get him assessed again when in Oz. Do I just take his assessment with me and take it to a Dr to get referred on. Will it cost anything?

The Dr said it could affect emigrating if he was diagnosed but at this stage she has identified there is an issue with communication and understanding etc so he can not be judged as it is not a diagnosis.

Anyone been in a similiar postition?

Thanks Catherine

Gosh, the Pervasive Developmental Disorders are difficult - you may find that you need to have further assessments before your visa is granted if there is an indication that he may fall into one of the categories - will you have to present this report indicating possibly disability when you go through the medicals process?

With the push for early intervention, I am slightly surprised that she wont come up with a diagnosis even if it is PDDNOS (Pervasive Developmental Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) because in order to get the early intervention speech therapy and social therapies that have been shown to work best with the under 6 age group, you need to have a diagnosis. I can understand her not wanting to make a diagnosis of Aspergers Syndrome at this age as so many kids are misdiagnosed and what they have is a speech/language disorder or even (as I have seen once or twice) hearing impairment. (Unless of course I have misunderstood and the waiting list is 8 months)

If you get your visa then you will have to go through the whole diagnostic process here and that can take months (or even in some places, years!). Yes, bring along the original assessment along with any psychological assessments (I hope she had you get either a developmental assessment like the Griffiths or an IQ like the WPPSI) and also any assessment of adaptive behaviour from nursery or wherever he may be in a group learning environment also, if you have one, a speech therapy assessment. The more of this stuff you have the better it will be - but it needs to be current - say within the last 12 months.

Many parents choose to get a private diagnosis and the states vary as to whose diagnosis they will accept - some will only accept a multidisciplinary team and others only paediatricians/paediatric psychiatrists so check out with whichever education department what their regulations say. If you go private you will pay - how much you have to pay depends on who does the diagnosis.

If it isnt a PDD and is just a speech/language issue then some states have access to speech therapy within the education system and others have it as a family based program. AFAIK none of the states really have a wealth of therapists and often the program is designed to be delivered by someone else rather than having a speechie all to yourself for an intensive course but you may get lucky. Many families go to private speech paths because they are able to get intensive clinical work done that way.

Good luck with it all!

Guest nurse46

my son has aspergers, was diagnosed 6 years ago, he is at the higher spectrum, because he is highly intelligent, and is in top sets in all of his comprehensive high school. His only issue really is routine and limited diet. Would this cause us a problem getting a visa to emigrate to australia.

my son has aspergers, was diagnosed 6 years ago, he is at the higher spectrum, because he is highly intelligent, and is in top sets in all of his comprehensive high school. His only issue really is routine and limited diet. Would this cause us a problem getting a visa to emigrate to australia.

I wouldnt think so - it seems that the biggest problems are with kids who require high levels of support - usually those in special schools. However, you may well have to provide additional information to support the fact that he is an independent learner because he has the diagnosis. I havent heard of any children with Aspergers having problems getting a visa but I do know of children with Autism who have been knocked back because they are likely to cost the tax payer quite a bit by way of educational support and ongoing living support later in life (eg a disability pension).

• 7 years later...
I wouldnt think so - it seems that the biggest problems are with kids who require high levels of support - usually those in special schools. However, you may well have to provide additional information to support the fact that he is an independent learner because he has the diagnosis. I havent heard of any children with Aspergers having problems getting a visa but I do know of children with Autism who have been knocked back because they are likely to cost the tax payer quite a bit by way of educational support and ongoing living support later in life (eg a disability pension).

Hi Quoll. Do you know anyone with child having mild austism that have been granted a PR visa in Australia? We are on our medical exam stage in our PR application, but my son who is turning 3yo this May was diagnosed with mild austism. Do you reckon the medical officer of the commonwealth will give him a medical clearance? Thanks!

Usual recommendation is to run the case past one of the agents who deal with medical conditions - George Lombard or Peter Ballard are the two most acknowledged in this regard. No one can tell you without significant case information. If your child will need intervention then that will be costed as a potential burden to the Australian tax payer. Chances are if they give him a visa he won't be getting much, if any, support from public services or education.

Archived