Brisbane(and spiders!)

Guest bernie

THINKING OF AUSTRALIA AND EMIGRATING. WENT TO NEWZEALAND IN AUGUST AND DIDN'T FEEL IT WAS QUITE RIGHT FOR US, ALL BEING BEAUTIFUL. WE ARE A FAMILY OF FOUR AND JUST FED UP WITH THE LIFESTYLE AND WEATHER HERE IN ENGLAND. WE LIVE IN THE SOUTH EAST AND ALWAYS HIT TRAFFIC ON A HOT DAY, IF WE DON'T DO IT WE WILL ALWAYS WONDER SHOULD WE HAVE. HUBBY IS AN ELECTRICIAN SO WE COULD GET IN I THINK.

BEEN THINKING ABOUT BRISBANE WONDER IF ANYONE IS OUT THERE THAT LIVES THERE AND WHY DID YOU DECIDE THERE.

ALSO I HAVE READ THAT THERE ARE RED BACK SPIDERS AMONGST OTHERS. I AM ABSOLUTELY PETRIFIED AND THIS IS THE ONE THING THAT FREAKS ME OUT - ITS SOUNDS SO SILLY BUT IT DOES PUT ME RIGHT OFF. I HAD A PANIC ATTACK JUST LOOKING AT THE PICTURES OF THEM ONLINE!! DOES ANYONE KNOW HOW COMMON IT IS TO ENCOUNTER SPIDERS INDOORS?!

BERNIE

Can't help you with spiders inside the house but when we were in Brisbane we only saw one spider (not a red back) and that was in a national park!! I certainly wouldn't allow it to put you off, just check your slippers. LOL!!

Hi Bernie, I'm with you on this one! I stupidly...very very stupidly... looked at a link someone had posted regarding 'Huntsman spiders' and spent several minutes staring at the screen in shock with a ruler in my hand measuring 15cm and mouthing 'oh my god'. It took me a while to calm down and realise that i'm not going to let spiders put me off the fantasic future that we can have in Oz. I also read quite a few post's from others already out there (sooooo jealsous!) who have said that they've seen one or two in the months/years they've been living there, and one sugested a yearly fumigation if it's a real concern. Don't let it put you off, there are too many great points. Good luck and go for it! :wink:

Hays xx

Hiya ,,if you dont like spiders n crawlies dont watch wanted down under on the 7th ,as they really played on the fact i am Petrified !!! luckily since moving out here i have become abit braver and can now be near enough to swat them !! in all honesty i havnt seen that many ,as for redbacks ive seen none ,,apparantly they stay out of your way you can also have a pest sprayer come do your house and this keeps most crawlies at bay ,,youll be more bothered about the heat in the end ,,

Cal x

Whilst backpacking in Brisbane i came home to the backpackers hostel after working on a building site and while eating my diner felt something on the back of my neck which i thought was a piece of cement in my hair. I grabbed at it to remove it and felt quite a painful nip a bit like a pinch, on my neck, then, what i thought was a taranchula fell to the floor. I put the spider in a box and rushed up the road to the chemist to get some anti venom and the assistant said in that typically Queensland way "its only a bloody huntsman, they won't kill ya"

I'll tell you about my experience with snakes later (gotta go to work now)

Guest uksniper

Nice post Aldo. I think you just scared off 50% of those planning to emigrate. :D

On a serious note spiders are just as prevalent in the UK but how often do you see them in and around the house. It is the same in Oz. They are there, but out of sight and out of mind. You won't see them unless you go looking. :shock:

Don't let an arachnid dominate your life and have control over your decision to emigrate or not.

A ha!

If you're talking spiders then I am the person to talk to ha ha ha!! I have been in Oz for just over 2 years now and am slowly getting used to the Huntsman spider! I have a real thing about them and I nearly wanted to go back to England. The thing is, you just get used to seeing them over time and now I can see one in the garage and just ignore it- a big step for me!! We have only ever had one in the house ( we heard it knock something off a shelf in the room next to our bedroom ).

They are big and tarantula-like and ugly but they run away from you- very shy. I always look up, as they have a habit of dropping, they are a bit clumsy. Also, i always drop my footwear before I put it on. Make sure you never leave your car windows open as many of my friends have had them in their cars. I also spray all the outside of my house and verandahs with professional strenght MORTEIN and that keeps them at bay. You tend to see the red-backs more, but kill those as they are poisonous.

If I can do it then anyone can!

Caroline :0)

I agree i wouldnt go near a spider in the uk but here ,,basically you have no choice !! i am much better than i was but it is always at the back of my mind.Like you i also check all shoes ,,ahh the advantage of flip flops !! still cant get to grips with the bare foot living thou im too scared of standing on something.

Cal x

Guest dive monkey

Carrie,

You can't just say something like "it knocked something off the shelf"!!!!! :shock: Are you serious? How big was it? Not looking forward to that part

Archived