living in a caravan ?????

Guest Miss M x

Guest Miss M x

Hi Guys,

My O/H has come up with the idea that when we get to Oz we stay in a caravan for the first 6 to 12 months so as to save money for a deposit on a mortgage and find an area we want to buy in which in theory sounds like a good idea and i'm all for it, my only concern is my son who will be 14 and i don't want him getting stick at school for living in a caravan, obviously i'm not sure if this is normal in Oz for families to live in caravans long term or whether there is a stigma attached to it i.e UK= gypsies, USA=trailer trash etc etc, my son is in no way spoilt or materialistic but i would like him to fit in and make friends etc as would any parent and i wouldn't want to jeopardise this in any way as we all know kids can be cruel,

Please don't take this post the wrong way i by no means intend to come across as snobby i'm just trying to get the general feel for what Australians think of people in caravans on a long term basis

Thanks xx

It sounds like a good idea, but personally if I had to live in a caravan with my hubby & daughter for anything longer than a couple of weeks I`d be divorced or up on murder charges!! The other thing you need to think about is how comfortable would it be in summer? Not quite the same but I know some family members bought a block of land, put up a big shed first and lived in that while building - wasn`t easy though. At the end of the day why not rent a caravan for a few weeks when you first arrive and see how you get on - if nothing else it would give you a cheap base whilst looking around areas. Personally I wouldn`t worry too much about what anyone else thinks - most Aussies I know wouldn`t bat an eyelid.

Hi Guys,

My O/H has come up with the idea that when we get to Oz we stay in a caravan for the first 6 to 12 months so as to save money for a deposit on a mortgage and find an area we want to buy in which in theory sounds like a good idea and i'm all for it, my only concern is my son who will be 14 and i don't want him getting stick at school for living in a caravan, obviously i'm not sure if this is normal in Oz for families to live in caravans long term or whether there is a stigma attached to it i.e UK= gypsies, USA=trailer trash etc etc, my son is in no way spoilt or materialistic but i would like him to fit in and make friends etc as would any parent and i wouldn't want to jeopardise this in any way as we all know kids can be cruel,

Please don't take this post the wrong way i by no means intend to come across as snobby i'm just trying to get the general feel for what Australians think of people in caravans on a long term basis

Thanks xx

Guest Miss M x

Hi Thewebweazel

there's always house sitting or dog sitting google it you'll be surprised how many people want you to live in their house for months at a time

Ermintrude,

Hiya, i never thought of the summer ...... surely that wouldn't be good

Guest The Hoys hoping.........

Hi Miss M,

We have also been thinking along those lines, or even living in one of those motor home thingies for the first few months.

We thought this would give us time to suss out the different areas to settle in, where might be best to find work and last but not, least schools for the children!

Only thing is we are taking our cat ( my children would be devastated if we left him behind) and I am sure he will not be happy to live in a caravan or motor home .

4 people, a cat and a litter tray in close quarters doesn't sound to appealing does it?

Might need to rethink that one! :-)

Hi Thewebweazel

there's always house sitting or dog sitting google it you'll be surprised how many people want you to live in their house for months at a time

Never thought of those to options! One of my friends did live in a Back Packers hostel for over a year at reduced rates. Hostels are great in Oz, I dunno if I could do extended time in one though!!

The motorhomes can work out as expensive as renting a house ,i guess the advantage being you can cover a massive area,caravans are a great option especially if you find one in a budget park with a pool and everything. The only thing you would have to look into is the length of time you can legally stay in one,no doubt there will be some rules and regulations. Also watch out for school holidays here as most caravan sites are packed and booked up well in advance.

I must admit im with ermintrude, we would kill each other confined to a caravan for a few months,lol

Good luck with everything

Cal x

I work in community mental health and have on occasions had to visit clients who live long term in caravan parks, here it is an alternative to low cost housing. The other thing I noticed was that they weren't the big static ones that I'd been on holiday in whilst in the UK, but rather the old small old fashioned type. I'm not saying the big statics don't exist, but you would really need to look round and make sure of what you were getting.

Guest Davidgolf

When our daughter's boyfriend followed here over here they went to stay in a caravan park that had large caravans in they were paying $375 per week and the vans were very old they ended up renting 3 bed house with large garden for $300 a week so not always the cheapest option. Thankfuly he has gone back to the Uk on his own,but thats other story lol

Sharon x

ps dont know were u r heading we r in Brisbane.

Hi

You will find its not as cheap as it looks , sites in wa with static caravans and chalets charge about $700 a week average. Have a look at holiday lets for a month or so we did it depends on where you are laying your hat

Mally

When I was a kid , my family and I lived in a Caravan for 6months (South Africa that is.) and we got special rates because we were permanent. Would that not be the same in OZ???

Depending on the accomodation they are def. not the cheapest option, when we first arrived here we looked at a caravan chalet and renting a flat for a few months. The chalet was dire and small, no air con etc, the flat was about 25% cheaper, included all bills and has access to a swimming pools - none that the chalet in the caravan park had.

Tim

I'm sure this must be an option in Oz. We stayed in a few and there were always the "permanent" caravans with the little gardens around them etc. One guy we spoke to told us he cleaned the toilets and emptied the rubbish bins each day, which earned him the right to stay for free and then he had to earn his living over that. However, if you're just planning on a few months you probably wouldn't qualify for the lower rate, and I agree with the others that it would probably be cheaper to rent a house than stay in a park.

As for the stigma, I think people will think it's cool if it's for a limited time while you get sorted and there will be no problem with friends. However, if it becomes a permanent set up I think there will be some stigma from some parents. When we travelled in a bus in NZ it was considered adventurous, but when we bought a property and parked and started to build a house we found attitudes changed, and I suspect the same may be true in Oz. OH and I travelled for years in a bus and there was a distinction even in our minds between those who travel, and those who live in a trailer park Although my oldest son had lots of friends at his pre-school only one child came to his birthday party once we parked. I have to say though that I think a teenager might be different as teenagers are into going against society. As a temporary measure you'll have no stigma, infact your kid may be cool.

Guest The Pom Queen

I agree in Melbourne you can get a 2 bedroom long term rental from $220 per week, a caravan site around 10km away advertise at $800 a week off peak. If you are permanent and book and pay for 12 months they will reduce this to $450 a week but to be honest you can get a gorgeous property for that amount of money. Yes, maybe consider a caravan for the first 4 weeks whilst you find your feet, or use a location company like Cals if your off to Brisbane etc as you will find this cheaper than the caravan park plus you will get unlimited help and support. But then get yourself a long term rental sorted.

Good luck

Kate

Guest Miss M x

Hi Guys

Thanks for all the feedback, think i'm going to have to show O/H this thread as maybe the caravan option isn't as cheap as we first thought although it does have the added bonus of all bills included so maybe need to weigh a few things up, definately couldn't spend more than a week in one of those small ones it would have to be a large one but guess i need to look into this a little more

As for where are we going i haven't a clue other than a regional area as O/H going to go over on a 3 mth hols visa and find a employer to sponsor him as a hgv driver so where we end up is anyone's guess xxx

• 3 years later...
Guest pipey

Just to bump this thread....for anyone coming over now, :wink:

living in a caravan in oz while saving for a mortgage is a realistic viable option.

we are doing it right now, and in most places , once you buy a van, you live far far cheaper than everyone else who rents.

most parks have a nice pool, people are friendly, and there is no stigma.

it gives you the ability to be mobile, and you don't waste money on deposits you will never see again, like when you rent.

you also own something, and in Australia caravans keep their value and are always an investment.

highly recommended

There was a thing in the local rag saying people were buying secondhand cruisers (those big white boats models lounge around on) and bearthing them in the harbour, and it works out about 1/4 of buying a house, plus you can change your view if you get bored of it. Worth a thought, except in a cyclone.

Actually, you can get property without needing a big deposit. Buying on terms, your deposit could be as low as $2,000, and in 2-3 years you can then have saved enough for a deposit or qualified for a bank loan. Email me if you want to know more

Guest pipey

ya except funnily we are saving for a houseboat, not a house mortgage....

but either way, its a great way to save money, and have less debt in the end

Only have a little knowledge of the dwindling number of Perth metro permanent caravan sites. This comes from a previous position which required finding accommadation for clients after being discharged from hospital.

The feedback was not good. There appeared to be excessive drug usage, alcohol abuse and a rough crew intimidating others. Two females who I managed to get into a caravan on site left within a month, claiming harrassment.

A murder was even commited on site perhaps relating to drugs but don't recall the details. This particular caravan park has since been closed. I cannot comment on others as never managed to get clients in. The few remaining may well be better run.

Tourist parks are a totally different proposition of course but you get what you pay for at the end of the day.

Just to bump this thread....for anyone coming over now, :wink:

living in a caravan in oz while saving for a mortgage is a realistic viable option.

we are doing it right now, and in most places , once you buy a van, you live far far cheaper than everyone else who rents.

most parks have a nice pool, people are friendly, and there is no stigma.

it gives you the ability to be mobile, and you don't waste money on deposits you will never see again, like when you rent.

you also own something, and in Australia caravans keep their value and are always an investment.

highly recommended

That must be the trick,own your own van. I can see the benefits if in a nice park.

Guest Guest31881

I live in a static caravan with an annex on a holiday park as a permanent resident. The Caravan & Annex belong to us and we pay a small weekly rent to the site owner. For that we have the use of all the facilities of the Holiday park and our own access to the beach. Residents are vetted before they can buy on the park and we are all around the same age. We do have some permanent "Mobile" Caravans also on the site and they live on the park but can at any time drive off on holiday knowing that when they return they will be able to drop straight back onto their own permanent site.

If you get a good Park and site it really can be a very good and relaxed life style.

Guest pipey

Absolutely, it depends on the park, but I have yet to encounter a park like flag of convenience describes.

Im sorry but that description doesnt sound like any tourist caravan park I have ever stayed in, anywhere in the world!

However, I have ended up in a fair few overpriced dumps that have been advertised as "Holiday Apartments/Hotels", that would fit that bill, by booking accommodation over the internet sight unseen.

I guess the great thing about living in your own caravan is that you can move on if you dont like the look of the neighbours!

Absolutely, it depends on the park, but I have yet to encounter a park like flag of convenience describes.

Im sorry but that description doesnt sound like any tourist caravan park I have ever stayed in, anywhere in the world!

However, I have ended up in a fair few overpriced dumps that have been advertised as "Holiday Apartments/Hotels", that would fit that bill, by booking accommodation over the internet sight unseen.

I guess the great thing about living in your own caravan is that you can move on if you dont like the look of the neighbours!

The park I described was certainly not a tourist park but more a place for permanent stayers. As such it perhaps became a gathering ground and dumping ground for folk outside almost of society. Namely those suffering mental illness, living on benefits, alcohol and drug addicted people and the like.

At times I saw foreign backpackers coming from camping there so there were others as well. Anyhow been gone a few years now. For any that know Perth it was located on the Armadale train line about half way from Perth.

I have stayed a few nights at very acceptable caravan/camping grounds in Australia. QLD had some beauties. In WA can only recall Albany which was very good as well.

Archived