register-now-button_orig.png
and join in with discussions   
ask migration questions
message other members

..and much much more!

Guest renegade

electricians

Guest renegade

Hi to you all out there, I am looking for some help and advice. I am time served 41 year electricain looking to move to the McKay region of QL with the family and would appreicate any advice of applying for my electrical mechanics licence and visa etc. Do i go through TRA then visa and ARTC before i come to OZ?

Also is there anyone out there in McKay that could let us know what areas etc are best.

Cheers for any help

Guest chris_mac
Hi to you all out there, I am looking for some help and advice. I am time served 41 year electricain looking to move to the McKay region of QL with the family and would appreicate any advice of applying for my electrical mechanics licence and visa etc. Do i go through TRA then visa and ARTC before i come to OZ?

Also is there anyone out there in McKay that could let us know what areas etc are best.

Cheers for any help

Hi, welcome to POI, its a wealth of information to everyone at at every level of immigration. With regards to your questions my first point would be are you using an agent? If you are a busy bloke and dont have much time to yourself or just not up to pen bashing then get one! Its not hard to find a good one from the posts on here. I used Visa Bureau London, 1800 quid all in who have been fantastic!

Also, do you qualify for a visa? Have you done any assessments? I applied for a 176 family sponsor visa, General Electrician... www.immi.gov Take the assessment, its free.

Also, your trade needs to be recognised before you think of lifting a screwdriver in oz! The assessing authority is Vetassess www.vetassess.com who assess Electricians by means of a paper assessment, all your quals, experience etc.. then a practical if you pass the paper assessment..

If you pass this then you can apply for a visa. If you get the visa having passed the TRA (Trade Recognition Australaia -(Vetasses)) then you get your level III electrical licence OSTR (Off Shore Training Rocognition) anda can work supervised until you attend college in Oz to get your Class A Licence.

In a nut shell but hope i answered your questions..

Best of luck

Chris

General Electrician

Applied TRA Aug 07

TRA Retuned Oct (Skill path D removed)

Re-applied Vetassess 01.01.08

Vetassess Paper Assess Passed 10.04.08

House up for sale 28.03.08 sold 14.04.08 (3 weeks, crikey)

Vetassess Practical 15.07.08

Practical Passed 11.08.08

176 Visa Application submitted 11.09.08

DIAC Acknowledgement 24.09.08

Guest renegade

Thanks Chris for your help I shall look into the assement and also the visa side. Once again cheers Phil

you get your TRA or ARTC 1st, that's just the ticket to migrate when here you must do the A class license or you wont be allowed to work unsupervised at all, not many company will take you on without the A class license reason being they Must check all your work, its illegal to work as a restricted spark here in Australia. you will have to go back to Tafe (College here) do a short course then do the exams each state is different so expect different exams. i would recommend you apply for the Electrical Mechanics TRA or ARTC that way once you have the A class license your allowed to do all unsupervised work.

If you go down the Electrical Fitters route some states restrict you to panel wiring only No A class license.?????? so make sure you get the right paper to start with, when you make your application fort migration this is when you apply for the Mechanics license. list every tool you have ever used & its purpose, list every cable you have used & again its application list all Ducting (Trunkings) & conduits & their respective task.

I know its a nightmare but the people doing your application are morons, they are pen pushers they don't know you from Adam, they have no idea what conduit is or different cables so the more you put in the better also include things like SWA explain what SWA is & its applications also include Pyro & tools & what its used for (Fire rated installations) the more you put in the more chance you have of an easy ride.

if you need more help email me or PM me.

arthur in melbouren

Arthur In Melbourne

No1spark[at]yahoo.com

Guest renegade
you get your TRA or ARTC 1st, that's just the ticket to migrate when here you must do the A class license or you wont be allowed to work unsupervised at all, not many company will take you on without the A class license reason being they Must check all your work, its illegal to work as a restricted spark here in Australia. you will have to go back to Tafe (College here) do a short course then do the exams each state is different so expect different exams. i would recommend you apply for the Electrical Mechanics TRA or ARTC that way once you have the A class license your allowed to do all unsupervised work.

If you go down the Electrical Fitters route some states restrict you to panel wiring only No A class license.?????? so make sure you get the right paper to start with, when you make your application fort migration this is when you apply for the Mechanics license. list every tool you have ever used & its purpose, list every cable you have used & again its application list all Ducting (Trunkings) & conduits & their respective task.

I know its a nightmare but the people doing your application are morons, they are pen pushers they don't know you from Adam, they have no idea what conduit is or different cables so the more you put in the better also include things like SWA explain what SWA is & its applications also include Pyro & tools & what its used for (Fire rated installations) the more you put in the more chance you have of an easy ride.

if you need more help email me or PM me.

arthur in melbouren

Thanks Arthur,

I will make a list as you say and get that under way, i have read that perhap SA is easlier for the exams etc and that I can do the AS3000 on line. Also what is the best visa to apply for seeing that we are coming as a family.

Once again thanks, Phil

renegade;

I don't know which Visa is best mate for you, i can recommend you post on British Ex Pats ask for wendy she lives in S/A she can give all details for the A class license there.

In Victoria the licensing is a nightmare to be honest, the hardest of all states.????? Bummer.

Wendy tells me the system in S/A is a lot easier than the rest of states, once you have done the course you can then apply for transfer of license to the state your living in at a cost of course, but once you have it your on your way mate. However every 3 years you MUST renew the license, if you forget that's your problem & you have to redo the A class licensing again.????????

As you rightly say you can do the AS3000 online, But make sure you know the AS wiring rules from back to front in S/A the main part of the exam is on the wiring rules, i have also been in touch with PEER the training people in S/A they are very decent people to deal with, so as i say if your switched on with the wiring rules & maybe you don't understand a given question they actually point you in the right direction.

Regards

Arthur

Arthur In Melbourne

No1spark[at]yahoo.com

:goofy: hi there,

can u just tell me about connection/dis-connection process?

regards,

esthapan.

Cheers for any help

vetassess+ve Mar 2009,(gen. electrician)

175 appld June 2009, CO assgnd 18 Mar '11,Police checks on 28 March '11,Health checks on 09 May '11. visa grant 24 June 11, intl entry on 20th Feb '12.

when you apply for the ARTC or Vatassees i would be doing the ARTC its easier pathway.

If you have been doing installations work you want the electrical mechanics license, people doing maint work may only get the electrical fitters license & thats very limiting in some states, as i say some states wont let the fitter do anywork on 1 or 3 phase gear at all.

so its importand you get the right ARTC list every job you have done also all tools used even if only the once & list what the applications are for tools & installations cover everything you can, remember the people doing your application are pen pushers, they dont know a piece of conduit from donald duck.

if you need more help then email me on here or send a P/M to me on here

regards

Arthur

Arthur In Melbourne

No1spark[at]yahoo.com

esthapan;

The disconnect & reconnect license is very limiting, you can only disconnect 230V appliances & thats all, you must do a course in Australia to apply for the "Restricted" electrical license, you can only disconnect things like hot water services & Air Con units for maint work ONLY, there is a procedure for this & if you dont do it step by step you shall fail costing you money every time you do the test where an instructor watches your every move.

regards

Arthur

Arthur In Melbourne

No1spark[at]yahoo.com

here is the disconnect re connect procedure

Procedure for disconnection of Electrical Appliance

1 Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out

: Maintenance Staff.

2 Check with the company you are working for any required

: Permits to Work, and Relevant paper work .for disconnection of appliance & reconnect of appliance from relevant staff.

: Check the estimated time of disconnection of equipment.

3 Check with maintenance staff to ensure NO Essential Services shall be affected. (Example) Fire Pumps, Emergency Lifts, Smoke and Emergency Lighting+ Fire Fighting Equipment.

5 Check for disruption of 3 phase loading (NO Single Phasing of Equipment)

Single phasing = disconnection of 1 phase increases loading on apparatus.

5 Trace circuit to be disconnected to the Isolation Point.

: Isolated = Completely Disconnected.

: Isolated and Earthed = Circuit is Dead and cables connected together.

: Trace circuit back to isolation point.

6 Identify any Isolation devices.

(Example) Fuses, Circuit Breakers, Switches, Switchboards.

Procedure for Start of Test

7 : Calibrate all test equipment.

: From a good known Earth reference point: test the Voltmeter.

: Test for any LIVE Equipment to a good known Earth.

: The testing device records results that may operate the Protective devices.

: From the Earth reference point provided check all steelwork on the apparatus under test and scrape away “Paintwork” Using the Volt meter provided check for ZERO Volts on the Meter.

: Always test Volt Meter provided before and After every part of all testing.

: Do not forget to use the Earth Reference Point Provided by the Examining Body.

8 Tag all Areas of intended disconnection.

: When the appliance you are working on is Disconnected Tag all cables.

: Tag off switchboard in a SAFE Position.

: Locate correct fuses or circuit breaker & remove fuses from the fuse carrier and

: Tag fuse carrier

: Record your name and contact details on relevant Tag.

: Record relevant department information, (date, time) company you have been employed by onto Tag of disconnection.

: All Tagged equipment must be signed by the qualified person performing the disconnection of the apparatus.

: Replace “Empty” fuse carriers into switchboard line.

9 Actual Disconnection of Apparatus. If this is a motor

: Switch on apparatus and record D.O.R. (Direction of Rotation)

: Move the switch to the on positionand check rotation of motor shaft.

: Record all information of Name Plate provided.

: Remove Fuses 1 at a time and test for Live Voltage on contacts at point of disconnection (Joint Box) at Appliance.

9 (a) : Test between all combinations for LIVE Voltage using the Volt Meter.

: Test Actives to Earth.

: Test Actives to Neutral.

: Test all combinations of L1, L2, L3. if Three Phase.

: Test Neutral and Earth.

Record all Test Results.

(Note) : Before removal of fuses from switchboard (Procedure)

1 : Ensure correct safety clothing is worn.

2 : Visually inspect the area you intent to isolate.

3 : Visually inspect protective devices (Fuses, Fuse Carriers, circuit breakers)

4 : With arm straight one hand in pocket (For safety)

6 : Look away while extracting fuse from switchboard.

:Always Act in a Safe Manner.

7 : Before any disconnection Always test for Live Voltages.

: After disconnection of apparatus test all cables with Voltage Meter.

9 (b): Remove 1 fuse at a time from switchboard.

: Remove fuse from fuse carrier and place fuse in a secure location (pocket).

: Replace Blank fuse carrier into switchboard line.

: Record Fuse type and current rating of fuse on information card provided.

By Examining Board (Examiner).

(Note) DO Not at any time leave ANY Fuses or Elements in or at the fuse board

9 © : Testing at apparatus (Motor).

: After disconnection of cables test with Volt Meter.(Record any results).

: The Earth is the 1st system of protection for you.

: 1st test all Active conductors.

: 2nd test neutral conductor.

: Test Earth conductor last.

: Make a sketch of any connections L1 L2 L3 and any colour coding of active conductors if cables are all the same colour at the motor then use identifying tape to distinguish L1 L2 L3.

: Record if motor winding are wired in Star or Delta on nameplate.

: Tape all cables with insulation tape each cable must have a minimum of 4 wraps of insulation tape completely covering all exposed conductors.

: For mechanical protection insert cables from motor into a Joint Box and tie back to protect.

11 : Enquire at all times to confirm if apparatus is to be disconnected and re connected.

12 : Enquire if you are required to submit a SAFETY CERTIFICATE.

Reconnection of Electrical Apparatus

1 : Notify all relevant persons of the intended work to be carried out

2 : Visual inspection that Tags are in place at

: ( a ) : Isolation point (Joint Box). At Appliance

: ( b ) : Contactor.

: ( c ): Switchboard.

3 : Visual check of fuses, circuit breakers have NOT been replaced by others.

4 : Remove Joint Box and insulation tape, Earth 1st. (Essential)

: Test for a good known Earth connection using the Volt Meter.

: Test for Live between Earth and all LIVE Conductors.

: Test Volt Meter for (Live or Active) reading using a good known power source.

(This test is to confirm correct functioning of Volt Meter).

“Before any connections of cables always check and test the Meter you intend to use. (This may save your LIFE).

(a) : Using a Insulation Resistance and Continuity Tester set the meter to the Ohm scale and calibrate by connecting both leads together. Record results.

(b) : Using the Resistance meter test between Earth and all parts of the apparatus under test Maximum reading not to Exceed 0.1 Ohm. Dependant on which state your in. Record all test readings.

© Test Rotating parts of motor (motor shaft) this reading NOT to exceed

1.ohm Resistance Maximum.

If The Test FAILS

You must inform the “examiner”

This test does not conform to the required standard and has FAILED. The resistance reading recorded on the rotating parts of the apparatus under test exceed the maximum permissible value of 0.1 Ohm. (Deepnding of State’s)

5 : Insulation Resistance Test at 500V Range setting on the Meter

: Calibrate your meter before commencing any test (set meter to zero)

The test must obtain a minimum reading of 1M/Ohm or a reading on the meter scale of Infinity.

: 1st connect the Earth lead of the test meter to the Earth conductor then connect the other test lead to each Active in turn, Record all meter readings.

6 : Check your motor schematic drawing for correct cable connection sequence then replace cables onto motor post L1 L2 L3 and tighten nuts.

7 Notify all relevant persons regarding Re Energizing Apparatus

8 : Replace all protective devices, Fuses, Circuit Breakers, in the Exact same order they were initially removed.

Sequence of Re-Inserting Protective Devices.

9( a ): Looking away from the switchboard, distribution board, insert the protective device into the Live connection.

9( b ): Lock switchboard or distribution board.

9( c ): When safe switch on the apparatus.

9( d ): Check for correct rotation of motor shaft.

9( e ): Run apparatus for a given period of time for effective functioning of apparatus.

9( f ): Complete relevant safety certification.

9( g ): The person who completes the Safety Certificate has a Maximum of 2 working days by means of electronic communication (Telephone) to lodge the safety certificate to the chief electrical inspectors office.

9) h ): The person who completed the safety certificate has

2 days to register a safety certificate.

4 Days to issue a safety certificate to the customer.

Arthur In Melbourne

No1spark[at]yahoo.com

Guest jayesh

Hi dear this is jayesh from Baroda(Gujarat)

I got all information as per telephonic disscussion.

Thanx

Guest Stephen & Tracy D

Hi there, from a very confused family....

My OH is also an electrician and he has worked on the rigs for about 6 years, he also has rope access level 1. do you need the Alicence to work offshore in OZ? , we are moving to Perth and he has the (ostr) sorry if thats wrong. He would like to work in the mines eventually but may have to work offshore in the meantime. Is there anything we can start doing form the uk? We are looking to move in January, but we are worried that he as not got a job to go to, I understand this may change over the next few weeks, could an offshore company take him on if he doesnt have his Alicence then on his time off he could apply, and does anyone know if working offshore for a company would class as his supervision , if they signed off his work?.

We have so may questions going round in our head its really stressfull. we have the money to get out but not enough to live for months on end without an income, he would even work offshore in Singapore and fly out there or somewhere like that till he got his A licence.

arrgggghhhh! all so confusing, we know he can earn a good wage and i will work once the children are at school, just till it all falls into place its very worrying.

well ill shut up for no ...lol

any replies are gratefully received!! xx

Guest Madeline87st

mating1.jpg

mating2.jpg

mating3.jpg

Thanks Chris for your help I shall look into the assement and also the visa side. Once again cheers Phil