Guest mandisfam

Any IT people heading to Perth

Guest mandisfam

Hi folks, Was wondering if any IT people where heading to Perth???

I know most IT jobs are in Melbourne, Sydney or Canberra but we are very keen on Perth but not many jobs there for IT people

So was wondering if any other IT are thinking of taking a risk with Perth.

Many thanks

Mandisfam

Yep, we're on our way to Perth & work in IT, we went for a reccy in June and had interviews lined up for when we were there, we both got job offers and we're hoping to move out late November/December on a 457 visa.

I suggest you use one of the job sites like Seek to suss out the opportunities for your skill set - it certainly helped us decide between Perth & Adelaide (not a good place for IT - although a recent WDU featured IT in Adelaide so it must exist!)

Happy to help if you need anymore info.

Jules x

Guest mandisfam

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the reply. We search all job sites about 3 times a week, but for what my oh does there is normally only about 20 of so jobs in perth, compared to over 50 in melbourne.

So thats why I was wondering if any other IT bods where heading to perth.

Good Luck with everything.

Mandisfam

What area of IT is he in? We're looking at Brisbane, and maybe even Perth now too.

IELTS test 25/06/2011 (L8.5 R9 W8.5 S9: Overall 9) - ACS Submitted 15/06/2011 (Sys Admins) : Successful 01/09/2011 - SA SS Sent 17/09/2011 : SS Approved 13/10/2011 - 176 Application Sent 20/10/2011

Guest mandisfam
What area of IT is he in? We're looking at Brisbane, and maybe even Perth now too.

Network Security, with the emphasis on security more than networking...

What about you???

Mandisfam

DH is also Network Security but with the emphasis on networking - they'd make a great team!

DH also noticed there was far more jobs in Melbourne but I had no desire to live in Melbourne!

I'm not sure what the population of Melbourne is but it may be there is far more competition for each job - certainly when we moved from London to Scotland 6 years ago that's what I found, there were far fewer jobs but my interview success rate went up!

I believe there is enough work in Perth (otherwise I guess we wouldn't be going!). DH got two interviews with little effort & got offered both jobs & that's without a visa from the UK. I also got an interview & was told they'd been looking for someone for 5 years!

DH got two interviews with little effort & got offered both jobs & that's without a visa from the UK.

Hi

My OH is also in IT, Infrastructure Architect, we are still in early stages yet but was wondering how your OH managed to get two interviews and both jobs without having visa.

I see you are going on a 457, good luck and hope you have a very happy life in Perth.

Debbie

xxx

27.01.08 Made decision to move to oz, 10.04.08 Appointed Agent, 27.11.08 ACS application sent, 28.02.09 Passed ACS, 11.03.09 Visa applied for - 175/CSL-IT, 27.08.09 Case Officer, 25.09.09 - VISA APPROVED, YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I'm mainly in IT Support and Admin. I do desktop with a little bit of network, but not that in depth with the network side of things unfortunately.

My main worry is deciding which route to go with my visa application, as I may only qualify for 40 points, or maybe even go on a spouse/defacto visa and Liz is the main applicant.

IELTS test 25/06/2011 (L8.5 R9 W8.5 S9: Overall 9) - ACS Submitted 15/06/2011 (Sys Admins) : Successful 01/09/2011 - SA SS Sent 17/09/2011 : SS Approved 13/10/2011 - 176 Application Sent 20/10/2011

DH got two interviews with little effort & got offered both jobs & that's without a visa from the UK.

Hi

My OH is also in IT, Infrastructure Architect, we are still in early stages yet but was wondering how your OH managed to get two interviews and both jobs without having visa.

I see you are going on a 457, good luck and hope you have a very happy life in Perth.

Debbie

xxx

Hi Debbie,

DH is an 'Infrastructure Manager' to give him his proper title :spinny:

I applied to go to the Australia Needs Skills expo in London (not realising only the applicant could attend) so went along with both our CV's. That resulted in an interview with the same company for both of us & we were both offered jobs with sponsorship.

We also chanced our arm applying for jobs on-line, although most of them say 'Need visa' we sent a polite mail saying we were interested anyway. Many did not reply but I had an agent happy to put me forward for a job with a large multi-national & they saw no issue with me not having a visa because they are used to sponsoring people and

DH applied direct to a company from an on-line advert & got the second interview.

We'd met with Workforce Solutions at an Emigrate show & they claim to be the only recruitment agency who can themselves provide sponsorship. They don't really deal much in IT but said if we got jobs from another source they could still sponsor us so we used that in the mails we sent saying 'I don't have a visa but I have a willing sponsor if successful'. We also said we could take up the position in 6-8 weeks!

Thanks for your good wishes, good luck on your own migration journey.

Jules x

I'm mainly in IT Support and Admin. I do desktop with a little bit of network, but not that in depth with the network side of things unfortunately.

My main worry is deciding which route to go with my visa application, as I may only qualify for 40 points, or maybe even go on a spouse/defacto visa and Liz is the main applicant.

I'm no expert at all but surely you would qualify for 'Computing Profession Not Elsewhere Classfied' which is 60 points??

You wouldn't get any extra points unless for a MODL qualification but depending how old you are if you took IELTS you might have enough points anyway.

Have you spoken to a migration consultant? The first consultation is usually free and they would advise the best visa for your circumstances.

Good Luck

Jules x

Not spoken to an agent yet. What's IELTS?

It's the NEC one I can't decide on to be honest, and whether I could get away with it. Looking at the job descriptions under that category, it's a bit touch and go for me. However, I think on a joint app we can just about get the points.

I don't want to give you false hope but as far as I know NEC covers any other skills. I'm a software tester and come under that, DH also comes under that.

IELTS is an English exam that you can take to get extra points (even if you're a native speaker)

I'd defintely talk to an agent though even if you don't plan to use one & IMHO if it is a bit touch & go it is well worth using an agent. DH does not believe he could have done his ACS assessment without their input.

Jules