Skin Cancer worry!!

Dawny

Just a quick question, if you had a couple of moles that are ok but on the neck , Before going to oz as it has a high skin cancer risk would you consider asking to have them removed as a precaution here in the uk !:wacko: And would the doctors here ok it!!

Very good question, hadnt thought to see if you could have them removed just incase

My sister puts a sunblock on her one and sometimes she puts one of those small round plasters on it too !!

I wonder if anyone has had this done as a precaution?

I'd ask your doctor. Unless they are showing signs of being dangerous I wouldnt worry. Australia's doctors are well tuned in to melanoma and skin cancers (better than UK ones because of the high incidence) - they will whip them off if there is any danger. You can ask your GP to do skin checks when you go for other "tune ups" eg when you have your pap smear or blood pressure checks, just ask them to monitor your skin as well - they are used to it.

I'd ask your doctor. Unless they are showing signs of being dangerous I wouldnt worry. Australia's doctors are well tuned in to melanoma and skin cancers (better than UK ones because of the high incidence) - they will whip them off if there is any danger. You can ask your GP to do skin checks when you go for other "tune ups" eg when you have your pap smear or blood pressure checks, just ask them to monitor your skin as well - they are used to it.

might have to have a word at the doctors surgery just see how the land lies, you never know they might actually say yes:huh:

Guest earlswood

Moles do not cause skin cancer....you just make sure you keep an eye on them as they are more sensitive to the sun.

Plenty of factor 30 on the skin and moles.

might have to have a word at the doctors surgery just see how the land lies, you never know they might actually say yes:huh:

Not every mole is (pre)cancerous so you dont have to worry about those which aren't. And it isnt the moles that they burn off - its the patches that look like flakey skin.

Guest beverley

i went for a check up last year and the doctor said it best not to remove them, just because you dont like the look of them as that can actually aggrivate the area. I went to the doctor first because i felt a couple of them itch so was worried. i was referred to hospital and they check your whole body but all was ok. apparently they have 'brothers' so if you have 2 weird looking ones on your back they are related so its ok! Also he said if they itch that isnt actually a sign that something is wrong at all, it just normal. My advice would be to go to the doctors , i worried myself silly and felt so much better after i got them checked out.

My oh has had a few removed one just recently. It was a lump they do not all itch and if they start to get bigger see the doc. I just had a biopsy on my arm they thought it was a skin cancer turned out to be a rare form of eczema.

Mum has had a few removed as well.

Guest gothicqueen

my friend lives in Sydney and she was diagnosed with lukiemia a couple of weeks ago, and I know its not the same but she was taken into hospital immediately and has started treatment and all is looking good for her, she said had she been here she doesnt think that it would have been picked up as quickly and the treatment there os superior to what her mum got over here.

i went for a check up last year and the doctor said it best not to remove them, just because you dont like the look of them as that can actually aggrivate the area. I went to the doctor first because i felt a couple of them itch so was worried. i was referred to hospital and they check your whole body but all was ok. apparently they have 'brothers' so if you have 2 weird looking ones on your back they are related so its ok! Also he said if they itch that isnt actually a sign that something is wrong at all, it just normal. My advice would be to go to the doctors , i worried myself silly and felt so much better after i got them checked out.

Thanks Beverley i will do that, where abouts in bournemouth are you, as thats where i am x:spinny:

Guest beermeister

Damn good question that I've been wondering about myself. When I went to Oz for a holiday a few years ago, I went to a local Doc for a checkup who said to keep an eye on a few. I've been saving up my next visit to the Doc until I return again shortly, because I thought UK Doctors wouldn't be as clued up on it - not sure if that's the right thing to do or not.

My understanding of skin cancer and moles is to be concerned if:

1. they change shape or colour over time

2. have jagged edges

3. are not symmetrical

4. bleed

But, I'm no Doctor, so I guess it's best to be safe than sorry and get it checked out ASAP.

Guest *KAY TEE*
Just a quick question, if you had a couple of moles that are ok but on the neck , Before going to oz as it has a high skin cancer risk would you consider asking to have them removed as a precaution here in the uk !:wacko: And would the doctors here ok it!!

If you are worried sweets, go to the doctors, Im sure he will put your mind at rest xx :yes:

Hi Dawn,

We were always told in NZ not to get them removed as they are the best warning signs e.g if they change shape colour etc. If you have them removed them something nasty could still be lurking underneath and you wouldn't know! I've got some on my back and I put a Factor 50 on them just to be safe! Embrace your moles, thats what I say!

x

I would get them checked out!

I had a little freckle on my arm that got a little bit darker, after a while it started to itch. I went to my local GP who measured it and looked at the edges of it, everything was ok but because of the itching she sent me to hospital just to be on the safe side. I saw the consultant who looked all over my top half and he thought it was ok but just to be safe he took it off. When i went back for my results he said "I was a very lucky girl" it was a melignant melonoma (i can't spell)!!!!

Not every mole is (pre)cancerous so you dont have to worry about those which aren't. And it isnt the moles that they burn off - its the patches that look like flakey skin.

Not exactly true. I had 3 tiny moles on my thigh for as long as I can remember. Noticed, about 3 years ago that they were changing into one. 18 months ago thought I'd better see about it. Result, day surgery to have now one mole removed. Never sit in sun, hate it! Asked why this happened and was asked if I hung the washing out in shorts. I did,and in cossies straight from the pool. It did take 41 years to develop tho'!

You do have to keep a watch on ANY moles that you have.

Hi Ellie2

not sure about mine one is a famous teabag shape, ( yes im addicitive to tea) its been there since i was a small child now its raised but not a weired shape, the other is just raised and round, my only reason i question them to be removed is that they are in an area where they are on show all the time, so i was thinking if i have the option to get rid of them now, surely thats better than just leaving them there and constantly worrying about them? so after all your coments i think i will go to the good old gp and seek his advise, and take it from there, thanks again everyone

Dawn x

Damn good question that I've been wondering about myself. When I went to Oz for a holiday a few years ago, I went to a local Doc for a checkup who said to keep an eye on a few. I've been saving up my next visit to the Doc until I return again shortly, because I thought UK Doctors wouldn't be as clued up on it - not sure if that's the right thing to do or not.

My understanding of skin cancer and moles is to be concerned if:

1. they change shape or colour over time

2. have jagged edges

3. are not symmetrical

4. bleed

But, I'm no Doctor, so I guess it's best to be safe than sorry and get it checked out ASAP.

thanks for all your info, it really is better to be safe than sorry:yes:

Hi Ellie2

not sure about mine one is a famous teabag shape, ( yes im addicitive to tea) its been there since i was a small child now its raised but not a weired shape, the other is just raised and round, my only reason i question them to be removed is that they are in an area where they are on show all the time, so i was thinking if i have the option to get rid of them now, surely thats better than just leaving them there and constantly worrying about them? so after all your coments i think i will go to the good old gp and seek his advise, and take it from there, thanks again everyone

Dawn x

Mine weren't raised. Just like dark freckles.

if any moles change you must go to docs. i noticed a mole had chanched shape on my oh back a few mounths ago he had it removed and it was a melanoma but it had not spread. so we were very luckey. although this is now not helping us with visa as agent thinks could be a problem with medicals. and says we should wait 2 years before we submit visa.

lorraine

Guest beverley
Thanks Beverley i will do that, where abouts in bournemouth are you, as thats where i am x:spinny:

Oh how funny! I live in Tuckton whereabouts are you?

Fact: 2 out of 3 tradies will develop some form of skin cancer during their lifetime. It is extremely important to do the old slip slap slop, take extra care on the tops of the ears and nose. At my work I am a minority in that i have yet to have had anything cut out of me. Employers should suply you with high factor sunscreen, if they don't, don't wait for them - get your own!!. Also UV protection is very important for your eyes. I had my eyes tested recently and the optomitrist said i have quite a bit of sun damage to my eyes.

Check UV index here

Archived