Sign in to follow this  
Guest JAY888

From Blackburn to Port Macquarie

Guest JAY888

Hello All or shall I say GOOD DAY

I have recently moved from the uk ... the best country in the world to live and surely u dont realize it once u leave it. I am back on this forum after a while as I was busy moving down under only to realize what have I done.. Back home we curse the NHS the weather the rush and parking tickets.. surely the list in endless but once I came to Ozie and Port Macquarie is supposed to be one of the best places in Ozie huge houses and the great beeches but let me tell u folks settling has been a struggle and a struggle that at the moment seems to have no end. Missing family is a valid point but what to do if you miss the homeland you were bought up in. The great surley hectic life style.. the great BBC , Today programme on Radio 4, and the conveninece of buying Milk at any time of the day or night just by driving a few KmS. yes the weather is not great back home but u can warm up what u do when its 40 degrees and humid.. please dont think that I am a moaner but the reason for coming out here was the persual of a better life but you only remember the prevlidges you have, once you have lost them... I am not sure what I will do in terms of packing up but surely I have come to one concluson and that is no Place like the UK..ever green

Sorry your not enjoying life in Australia and your right, it isn't for everyone!! However, have you tried considering another state, or a different suburb. Also how long have you lived here?

It's like in the UK if you don't like the town you live in it can be hell on earth, but move somewhere else and you can be so happy. Good luck whatever you deicide to do.

If you are depressed you are living in the past. If you are anxious you are living in the future. If you are at peace you are living in the present.

Guest taffy 62

You dont miss the well until the well runs dry.

I just moved to brisbane in january and feel the same as you.

I realise what I had in Victoria and miss it badly, so I am moving back in 4 days Yippee!!!!!!!!!!

I have been in Oz for 19 years though I have lived in SA as well.

I found it so much easier to settle in Victoria and highly recomend people try different states before going back to the Uk as they are so different.

I said if I didnt like Victoria then I would go back to the Uk, So we tried it and stayed there 17 years.

It is not humid there you have 4 seasons but are guaranteed long hot summers and long summer evenings like the UK.

At least you have given it a go like me and if you do decide to go back you will feel more contented with what you have.

I came to Brisbane as the kids had left home and I felt a bit bored and all the sun sand and surf sounded appealing, but I have hated it from day one, and I think sometimes you know in your heart.

All the best whatever you decide.

Guest JAY888

I have just arrived couple of months a go . i dont mean to say that I dont like it .. I do but at the same time I do miss Uk. So when I compare the two countries on the basics like for like, UK comes out shinning. but the lifestyle is great here . I guess the real question is why we all make the move?? if the initial motive for making the big move still stands after 6 months then probably I will stay .. I still have a hangover from this previous move..

Guest snoo

But I don't understand.....no, I REALLY don't..not taking p*ss!! You are from Blackburn? Right? Blackburn in Lancs? And you MISS it?

Enlighten me Jay,

Lisa,x

Interesting that one of the things that seems to bother people is shopping for things at odd hours. I never think about it as we can shop for things at odd hours in Melbourne and have been able to for years. Seven 11 is always open, 24 hour supermarkets are around, others do not close till midnight and open at 6 in the morning so find there is plenty of time for shopping. Sunday the shops are open.

I know everyone loves Perth and QLD but for me lifestyle is what it is about and its better in Melbourne.

Petals

:ssign15:taking no prisoners :wink:

Guest lamu_life

Shame, we have been in port macquarie for 6 weeks and love it here. Yes we don't have the security of owning a house, 2 cars, jobs here but it is worth the sacrifice. We are finding it hard work financially at the moment but all the material things that we had in the UK don't seem to matter as much not having them here. So you leaving this beautiful land to go back to the UK? Clare

Guest beermeister

It goes to show how different we all are: I know both Blackburn and Port Macquarie very well and I couldn't even conceive putting Blackburn ahead.

Guest wobob

are you crazy? Blackburn is AWFUL - have you forgotten the terrible traffic, absolutely no free parking, the council permanently just digging up the roads, the godawful weather (rain rain and more rain), the building site that is the town centre, the complete lack of shops, the sheer volume of benefit scroungers, the dirt and litter, the crime and poor schools? Its officially the fattest and most unhealthy borough in England - even the bus shelters have adverts on begging people to go to the gym!

God man, get your head checked!

Guest snoo

Knowsley, in Merseyside, is the second fattest borough in the country ahead of Blackburn, Lancashire, which is third. Funnily enough no 1st mentioned.

The table was compiled by data analysts Experian. The fattest town in the UK was Hull while Kingston-upon-Thames, in Surrey, was the slimmest.

And ANOTHER survey doesn't even mention Blackburn..or the North west....

England's fattest areas

• Easington, County Durham
  • Corby, Northamptonshire
  • Knowsley, Merseyside
  • Sedgefield, County Durham
  • Sandwell, West Midlands
  • South Tyneside
  • Bolsover, Derbyshire
  • Barnsley, South Yorkshire
  • Sunderland
  • Wansbeck, Northumberland

So I suppose that statement is a little subjective!!

But I wouldn't argue with anything else you have said...it's not a very inspriring place to live! We have some nice countryside....but I can't think of anything else good to say!

We USED to have a fab nightlife...coaches would come from all over the country on a fri & Sat night...now coaches LEAVE on a wknd to take clubbers elsewhere!!

My Daughter has been grabbed and almost dragged into an Asian mans car recently and only last wk was assaulted by a gang of 20+ boys on our doorstep (and this is considered a 'nice' neighbourhood!!)

Rant over.....can't wait to leave....even if it's as cr*p as Earlswood tells us it is in Perth......we have been told by a 'certain' number of a 'certain' faith that 'Blackburn is ours now...you shouldn't be here'....and I'm sorry to say...but it's true!!

x

Guest wobob
Knowsley, in Merseyside, is the second fattest borough in the country ahead of Blackburn, Lancashire, which is third. Funnily enough no 1st mentioned.

The table was compiled by data analysts Experian. The fattest town in the UK was Hull while Kingston-upon-Thames, in Surrey, was the slimmest.

And ANOTHER survey doesn't even mention Blackburn..or the North west....

England's fattest areas

• Easington, County Durham

• Corby, Northamptonshire

• Knowsley, Merseyside

• Sedgefield, County Durham

• Sandwell, West Midlands

• South Tyneside

• Bolsover, Derbyshire

• Barnsley, South Yorkshire

• Sunderland

• Wansbeck, Northumberland

So I suppose that statement is a little subjective!!

But I wouldn't argue with anything else you have said...it's not a very inspriring place to live! We have some nice countryside....but I can't think of anything else good to say!

We USED to have a fab nightlife...coaches would come from all over the country on a fri & Sat night...now coaches LEAVE on a wknd to take clubbers elsewhere!!

My Daughter has been grabbed and almost dragged into an Asian mans car recently and only last wk was assaulted by a gang of 20+ boys on our doorstep (and this is considered a 'nice' neighbourhood!!)

Rant over.....can't wait to leave....even if it's as cr*p as Earlswood tells us it is in Perth......we have been told by a 'certain' number of a 'certain' faith that 'Blackburn is ours now...you shouldn't be here'....and I'm sorry to say...but it's true!!

x

I went back to Blackburn for my 11 year school reunion in July - was very sad to see the state of the town and how quiet it was! I went in during the day (a Saturday) and not a single one of the shops I wanted to go to were still there, half the precinct was closed off and the remainder seemed to be made up of pound shops. I went to the reunion with a friend who still lives right outside Ewood Park and she said we might as well stay at hers and have drinks because there was nowhere worth going in the town centre anymore.

I hope you get to escape sooner rather than later!

Guest snoo
half the precinct was closed off and the remainder seemed to be made up of pound shops. I went to the reunion with a friend who still lives right outside Ewood Park

That's really funny....when anyone asks me to describe the town center...'pound shops' is exactly what I say about the place!! I suppose they've knocked half of it down because it was grotty and unsafe...I just hope they've got the funds to rebuild it soon!! (Doubt it! They've just spent most of the budget on a silly bridge!)

So...year 11? That makes you a couple of years older then my Daughter and a couple of years younger than my Son! Did you go to school in Blackburn?

I live just up the road from Ewood Park....and yes, your friend is right, might as well stay in for drinks!! We went to 'The blues Bar' (Blackburn Rovers bar) last week and there was only 2 other people in there! It really is a sad state of affairs! We just can't wait to get out! My Son, Lloyd has just started his first year at Huddersfield Uni...we went over to drop him off and it really does put Blackburn to shame! My description of Blackburn is 'grey and old'. People don't have any aspirations either and there's not many left that are 'proud' to be Blackburners! Even my father keeps telling us to get out asap....and obviously he'll miss us! I think his long term plan is to sell up and join us!!

Lisa,x

Guest wobob
So...year 11? That makes you a couple of years older then my Daughter and a couple of years younger than my Son! Did you go to school in Blackburn?.... My description of Blackburn is 'grey and old'. People don't have any aspirations either and there's not many left that are 'proud' to be Blackburners! Even my father keeps telling us to get out asap....and obviously he'll miss us! I think his long term plan is to sell up and join us!!

Lisa,x

It was my 11 year reunion - I left St Bedes RC High School in 1997. My parents have already upped and gone to France. Where are you planning to go in Oz? At least you can rest safe in the knowledge it will be better than Blackburn!

Guest snoo

Aah! I see...I thought you were a bit young to be going to Oz without parents!! So if you left school in '97..you'l be 10yrs younger than me!!

Well we have sort of decided on Perth...although our options are open really...we will be visiting Paul's uncle in Sydney so could be swayed to stay! It will depend on job offers for Paul really. We need to sell our house, FINGERS CROSSED!!!! Then we can leave asap!! We couldn't let our children carry on living here and bring their families up here...although as I've said, Lloyd has already left!

Good luck with your plans!

Lisa,x

Guest Ryan, Rachel & Beth
Shame, we have been in port macquarie for 6 weeks and love it here. Yes we don't have the security of owning a house, 2 cars, jobs here but it is worth the sacrifice. We are finding it hard work financially at the moment but all the material things that we had in the UK don't seem to matter as much not having them here. So you leaving this beautiful land to go back to the UK? Clare

We are heading to Port next year, we have been granted our visa and need to validate before 23rd June so plan to head out in May. We have visited twice before (2001 & 2005) but I wonder how much things have changed since our last visit?

Due to the 'problems' in the UK and worldwide, we will not be selling our house which means we will not have an awful amount of money to invest into our move. Can you tell me, if you know, how the market is out there? Hubby is an electician so he will be looking for work in the building trade, is ther much new devlopment going on?

Any advice you can give would be most welcome, we found Port Macquarie to be a 'safe' area and somewhere we think we would be happy to bring up our 4 year old daughter (for however long it lasts) ...

Thanks, Rachel x

Guest Redcentre

I can understand that you are homesick for the UK, most people are at first and often the homesickness comes and goes over many years.

I've been back to the UK twice, before finally settling here permanently over 20 years ago.

Once you have made friends, have a job you like, live in an area you feel at home in, things start improving. My wife and I tried living in Queenlsand but found it too hot and ended up in the Southern Highlands(little England) NSW and have found an area we feel at home in. We have our UK shop selling our favourite foods, pubs that have UK beer on tap, satellite TV with the best of british TV programs and we can even listen to Radio 4 on our new satellite radio. So as the years have passed the world has become smaller and those things we missed so much are now available to us.

My point is things are what you make them and I would say you need at least 2 to 3 years in OZ before you really start feeling at home. Try and remember why you came here and do you really want things as they were? I know from experience upon returning to the UK then and only then does it make you realise what you had in OZ.

Good luck whatever you decide..... got to go now Eastenders is on the box!

Guest JAY888

Hi

I really appreciate ypur advice ..I guess experience speaks for it self.. I must say I realized what I had in Uk when i got here ?

Plz can you tell me where you got this sattelite radio from.. Can you watch bbc channels on your box ??

Thanks