Guest silverstargazer38

just wondering for a family of 4 2 adults 2 children 12 and 15

what is cost of gas

electric

council tax

water rates

telephone and internet

and roughly food bills per week

what is the equivilent to teso asda in oz as we are newbies to all this and dont have a clue

Hiya we have been here a few months now ,we being me ,hubby and 2 kids 8 and 3yrs.We have found the cost of living roughly equals about the same as the uk except,,petrol is much cheaper,food is better quality,insurances seem slightly cheaper,car,house etc and council tax is cheaper.The equivalent to your asda and tesco is woolworths but its not like the uk woolys!! You have to pay for all books and stationary your kids use at school as well as a 'contribution' to the system.I have just bought my sons books for the new term and they were $160, i think the contributary fee is approx $30.Most houses are elec you dont really have much gas here,our internet is better and quicker than the uk and was an half price offer meaning we pay $35 pr month.Telephone not too sure yet (not been connected long enough) you only really have a choice of Telstra or Optus but both do various pacages,obviously most wages are less than the uk but the lifestyle leaves the uk standing and it would take a major catastrophy to get us back in england.If you want to be rich your better in the uk if you want a better quality of life get them visa papers filled in ,,hope this helps fell free to ask more questions i was in your position 12mth ago,,

Cal x

Hi

The food thing is more or less the same, it just seems more when the bill comes to $150!!! ( that's roughly our fortnightly bill for 2 adults = 60 pounds ish ). The bills are incredibly cheaper, especially the council rates. Vehicles are much dearer to buy.

Cheers

Caroline.

Archived