HGV licence

Guest robbiegerrard

Guest robbiegerrard

Hi all, when i move over to Australia (Perth) if i cant get a job on the mines i have my driving licence to fall back on, im entitled to drive everything from motor bike to class 1 hgv, ive been told that i would have to take my tests again and that my driving licences wont count over in perth. Could anyone please shed any light, many thanks

Guest claire&fred
Hi all, when i move over to Australia (Perth) if i cant get a job on the mines i have my driving licence to fall back on, im entitled to drive everything from motor bike to class 1 hgv, ive been told that i would have to take my tests again and that my driving licences wont count over in perth. Could anyone please shed any light, many thanks

Hi

I am afraid you heard right. If you hold an HGV Licence in the UK it will not be transferred to your Ozzie Licence. We are in Perth and have been here since July, we went to get our Driving Licences sorted and they said that OH could not transfer his HGV across. Very cross this made us but there you go. OH went to re-sit his HGV but first they make you drive an MR (4 wheel 8 tonne) for 2 hours to see how good your are or are not. That cost $168.00 which is for the 2 lessons and only if they feel you are good enough are you allowed to go onto learning the HR.

It is a blimming nuisance. OH said if you need any advice with regard to any of this please feel free to pm us. OH is a brickie by trade but did not want to go back to that, had no luck with the mining jobs so was going to fall back on his lorry driving. There is an excellant lorry company in Joondalup called RMS where you can re-take your Licence.

Claire

Hi

I am afraid you heard right. If you hold an HGV Licence in the UK it will not be transferred to your Ozzie Licence. We are in Perth and have been here since July, we went to get our Driving Licences sorted and they said that OH could not transfer his HGV across. Very cross this made us but there you go. OH went to re-sit his HGV but first they make you drive an MR (4 wheel 8 tonne) for 2 hours to see how good your are or are not. That cost $168.00 which is for the 2 lessons and only if they feel you are good enough are you allowed to go onto learning the HR.

It is a blimming nuisance. OH said if you need any advice with regard to any of this please feel free to pm us. OH is a brickie by trade but did not want to go back to that, had no luck with the mining jobs so was going to fall back on his lorry driving. There is an excellant lorry company in Joondalup called RMS where you can re-take your Licence.

Claire

its the same the other way as well and I had an MC licence in Australia.

I think the English should be made to re sit the tests as you lot dont drive crash boxes over here, where most trucks in Australia are crash boxes.

Guest claire&fred
its the same the other way as well and I had an MC licence in Australia.

I think the English should be made to re sit the tests as you lot dont drive crash boxes over here, where most trucks in Australia are crash boxes.

What is a crash box?

Guest claire&fred

Ahhhhhh. Just asked OH if he knew what a Crash Box was and he said exactly what you have written. To be honest I do not think it is a bad thing to re-take HGV here. Everything is different, roads, lorries etc. He is taking a Buckhoe course on Friday only $950!

Omg I had no idea this was the case!! My OH is a class 1 driver with 21 years experience. We're hoping to be in Perth by early Jan (I've got PR sponsorship from a hospital there as I'm a midwife) and we were expecting him to be able to pick up immediate work via an agency! This certainly puts a dampner on things coz we don't have a lot of money to take with us :-(

Any extra info re the process of getting a licence / timescale would be gratefully received!!

Thanks, Lizzie

Guest neilalys

so i will have to resit hgv class2 , but what can i drive without re test, i;e minni bus van

uk car licence goes upto 71/2 tonne is this the same ? , or can i only drive a van , thats not a bad price for a backhoe course will this course enable you to work anywhere

Guest wiccanwitch

ok all another thing my hubby took his hgv long time ago were he did fail couse he got to close to the cones ?

now bare in mind he is ground worker but he has to drive as he mates dont scott not only drives but has driven7/1/2 ton lorrys with machines and trailers on the back ? just think maybe we should wait to get to oz and also see about his hgv again ?

Omg I had no idea this was the case!! My OH is a class 1 driver with 21 years experience. We're hoping to be in Perth by early Jan (I've got PR sponsorship from a hospital there as I'm a midwife) and we were expecting him to be able to pick up immediate work via an agency! This certainly puts a dampner on things coz we don't have a lot of money to take with us :-(

Any extra info re the process of getting a licence / timescale would be gratefully received!!

Thanks, Lizzie

Hi this link is for Melbourne but give them a call IMHO these are the best and will help you out no end and should be able to put you in contact with someone in perth

DECA Training - Client Links

All the best

Geoffrey

Hi this link is for Melbourne but give them a call IMHO these are the best and will help you out no end and should be able to put you in contact with someone in perth

DECA Training - Client Links

All the best

Geoffrey

Thanks Geoffrey, will get my OH to give them a ring!

Nice to see someone from Blackburn on here!!

Archived