We've arrived...2nd thoughts?

Shazzi

...On another note...I just want to say that although my post may have been deemed as a "depressing" read, it was from the heart as I was feeling quite low when I first arrived for lots of different reasons.... I was just sharing my experience/thoughts and feelings, as besides your OH you have no one else to discuss this stuff with. Thankfully most people have said they have felt the same way at some point in their journey too and for me this is a journey, with ups and downs along the way, and every day/week I'm here I move a little further forward...Thanks again to all those who have took time out and posted advice/support/offered friendship, I do appreciate it and hope I can do the same at some point down the line...Sharon..x

Hi Sharon:

Really glad you are feeling better within yourself and that this Big Move hasn't all been a terrible idea! Time will tell - but don't feel you have to justify your feelings - that's what they were - how YOU felt at that time, and they were nothing unusual or weird... but it is interesting for you/us to look back and know that your feelings have changed & you aren't in that same place emotionally as when you first wrote your post... I'm certain many people, if you dragged them from their comfort zone & made them live in a place in the UK that they knew nothing about, had never really visited, had no friends or rellies around would probably feel the same! It would be no less unfamiliar & feelings of isolation and not belonging would be natural. I've had peeps come down from Wherever & complain there's no Tesco down the rd or Mango, or other places I've never heard or seen, but are clearly a major part of their lives, wherever those are based! So put that dislocation in the context of moving half a world away, to a different country, culture, climate, time zone - everything IS upside down and for people very much in tune with their time & place it's going to take some getting used to, before they can be comfortable with it.... let alone start enjoying & loving it...

Your point was, that people react to situations in different ways & reading about other peoples experiences and the different ways they cope and survive them offers potential migrants an insight into what can happen, and perhaps factor that into their Moving equation. AND, don't think or assume that just because you REALLY, REALLY want to be here, that that, in & of itself is enough to guarantee that every thing's going to slot into place &/or you're going to be REALLY, REALLY happy with your new life from the moment you start it!!!

To me, Life is very much about being an active part in where it takes you, it's one's reactions to situations and how we learn & grow from those experiences that provide us with coping mechanisms for the future, thereby paving the way for a happier and more fulfilled life... It is a BIG Adventurous Journey, but that doesn't mean it's always going to be easy or even pleasant!

After all what use would this forum be really, if all we ever heard was the view from behind the Rose Tinted Glasses?! If we never read a peep about the downsides or difficulties people have to overcome in their lives - what would we really learn from that???

Hopefully you will feel happier with your situation over time - but how much Time only you will know, yet, there are always other options... however, I'm sure once you really get used to the place you'll find yourself feeling happier and less isolated; see how you feel in a year! From my life time of experience of moving around from different countries & places, 3-years seems to be the key time after which I really start to feel AT HOME in a place - where ever that happens to be!

All the BEST to you & yours, X

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest itskaren
Hi JulieC, would love to meet up when you come out here, I'll pm you and once you are settled we can arrange a time to meet

On another note...

I just want to say that although my post may have been deemed as a "depressing" read, it was from the heart as I was feeling quite low when I first arrived for lots of different reasons. Although my OH (Pasha02) was trying his best to keep me feeling upbeat, it was good just to get messages of support and advice from others who have been through the same thing, which is what this forum is all about. So sorry if this has been a "negative read", just to clarify I am not a miserable person, nor am I sat here crying every night and wishing I was back in the UK... I was just sharing my experience/thoughts and feelings, as besides your OH you have no one else to discuss this stuff with. Thankfully most people have said they have felt the same way at some point in their journey too and for me this is a journey, with ups and downs along the way, and every day/week I'm here I move a little further forward.

Thanks again to all those who have took time out and posted advice/support/offered friendship, I do appreciate it and hope I can do the same at some point down the line.

Sharon

x

I too have posted on here that things are not good at times. You will get a barrage of 'yes camp' people slagging you off for being negative! Some people only believe that positive comments should only be allowed! It's laughable. We are not 5 year olds.

:spinny:

Guest Hello Kitty
Hello Kitty

Are you saying that Target do not get their clothes made in China or India as shops do in the UK. I don't know the answer but I suspect that they do.

The T shirt you brought for your daughter, were was that made?

John

Yes, they were made in China as most things are these days but if you paying a pittance for clothing than chances are the workers in those factories are being paid very little to produce them in who knows what conditions. You would be surprised at how many well known brands have been found to be producing clothing in sweat shop conditions in China, India and other places. There was an investigation into it a few years ago and some big American and international brands were found to be guilty of this practice.

Yes, they were made in China as most things are these days but if you paying a pittance for clothing than chances are the workers in those factories are being paid very little to produce them in who knows what conditions. You would be surprised at how many well known brands have been found to be producing clothing in sweat shop conditions in China, India and other places. There was an investigation into it a few years ago and some big American and international brands were found to be guilty of this practice.

Hello Kitty

I don't think it matters if your paying alot for for your clothing or not if it,s made in India or China I'm sure they are getting paid a pittance.

I used to buy Ted Baker shirts £70 - £150. On the tag it read made in Heaven. Ted Baker most probley brought a little town in India and renamed it Heaven.

Andrea brought me a long sleved shirt from Primart ..... £2 the qaulity was good.

Clothes are cheaper in the UK because we have more buying power than Aus does, It all gets made in the same Sweat shops.

John

Guest pasha02
it seems i have to spell it out AGAIN, i sympathise with your wife, i was just pointing out that to someone who is due to go over soon, like myself, that the posts and various problems everyone was having were depressing, and dont exactly fill you full of hope, THATS ALL, but the p.c brigade and the self appointed "nice caring people"( me being the bad people of course)chose to make out that i was attacking your wife, i repeat i wasnt, and that is the last time i explain that. i know what choob means btw, i worked with lads from oxgangs,and fergusley park for long enuf. we in lpool have lots of our own insults,but for now i will leave that to the good people on here who are probably still patting themselves on the back for "defending" your wife from non existant insults.

You have all the tact and sensitivity of a boot in the baws !! No one accused you of "attacking my wife" or giving "non-existant Insults" all you have done is spoke your mind, but most people on reading a post written like this will take on board what it is saying, not post a reply stating it was a depressing read, you will find that 99% of people on forums like this would not do what you have done!. Like you have stated you are not over here yet so have no idea of the wide range of emotions that my wife and countless others like her, have and will go through, and that is why the "self appointed nice people" have chosen to post positive replies ,because a lot are either in the same position or have been through it. And as for being enlightened to what "choob" means from guys from Oxgangs, you will know that there are a lot worse "insults" than that, and " btw" no one called you a choob it was merely implied!

Regards

Another "chookter" :yes:

Guest yorkshirelass

Hey Listen, I have been here a year, I still feel like that - thats why I am going home!!! Lived in Spain for 8 years and never once felt as unhappy as I do here. What you are feeling is perfectly normal. We have finally put it down to the fact that you could live in absolute paradise but if you havent got your friends and family around you and all folk that you really care about, just what is the point? It has cost us a lot to up stiicks move here and even more to go back, but life is too short to be unhappy - got to follow your heart. We are just thinking of it as a very expensive holiday and a massive wake up call as to what is really important in life! Good Luck - hope it all works out for you. x

Guest JoanneHattersley

An assortment of posts have been deleted from this thread due to them becoming a slanging match.

PIO is here to help people. WE enjoy reading the negative and the positive posts on here. They are all of equal weight and value and should be appreciated as such.

The OP needed to express what they were feeling and should have been allowed to do just that.

Please remember why we are here!

Thank you

Guest tassiedevil59

Hi Pasha02

oopps see wee have caused a bit of a stir with the old FORUM police...obviously they have read too much into our debate with PABLO.

all done in with fun and banter so i think my opinions will be better constructed so it is not construed as slagging....

I fully appreciate peoples opinions differ from subject to subject so i shall be away on my white horse .

no doubt we shall be in touch with valued topics...

You have all the tact and sensitivity of a boot in the baws !! No one accused you of "attacking my wife" or giving "non-existant Insults" all you have done is spoke your mind, but most people on reading a post written like this will take on board what it is saying, not post a reply stating it was a depressing read, you will find that 99% of people on forums like this would not do what you have done!. Like you have stated you are not over here yet so have no idea of the wide range of emotions that my wife and countless others like her, have and will go through, and that is why the "self appointed nice people" have chosen to post positive replies ,because a lot are either in the same position or have been through it. And as for being enlightened to what "choob" means from guys from Oxgangs, you will know that there are a lot worse "insults" than that, and " btw" no one called you a choob it was merely implied!

Regards

Another "chookter" :yes:

grow up for jesus sake,im pretty sure your wife and all the other people who posted have more to worry about than me saying the posts etc were a bit offputting for those of us planning on going,or are we are not allowed to simply state a fact, i cant be ***** with this anymore, not only your wife posted, the world doesnt revolve around you, like i said ,i will leave this thread to you and the rest of them,before i end up getting banned, giving some people a computer is like giving a monkey a clock. goodbye

Archived