Contributory Aged Parent Visa - a couple of questions....

frizzy1

Hi Gill hope you dont mind me asking is it still the case that if you have half your children in oz you can apply for a parent visa? my dad married my mom with 2 children( now his step children ) not that they have anything to do with my dad now!! my mom passed away in oct 2004 mom and dad had 6 children..we have applying for a 176 visa sponsored by my brother in may 2011... i also have a sister in oz..this would mean when we go half his children will be in oz? yes? Any help would be grateful for :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: many thanks wendy xxx

• 5 months later...

can anyone give us alittle advise please, we have 4 children 2 live in england, 1 in oz on a permenent residence visa has been there 3yrs, 1 has been out there on a years working visa which he extended for 2nd year which runs out in april he has been to a immigation officer and started the process of getting a permenent residence visa but is unable to get an extention on his existing visa so has to come home, he has been told his p r v will be granted around may next year.can anyone tell us when and how we could apply for a parents visa,we have been told we could go on a temporary parent visa which lasts for 2 yrs and after 6months we could apply for a permenent parents visa is this right?

• 3 weeks later...
can anyone give us alittle advise please, we have 4 children 2 live in england, 1 in oz on a permenent residence visa has been there 3yrs, 1 has been out there on a years working visa which he extended for 2nd year which runs out in april he has been to a immigation officer and started the process of getting a permenent residence visa but is unable to get an extention on his existing visa so has to come home, he has been told his p r v will be granted around may next year.can anyone tell us when and how we could apply for a parents visa,we have been told we could go on a temporary parent visa which lasts for 2 yrs and after 6months we could apply for a permenent parents visa is this right?

G'Day Jane

There is a far more extensive thread devoted to parent visas at http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/migration-issues/77756-brand-new-pio-parents-visa-thread-413.html, where you will find lots of discussion of eligibility and problems. (The above link takes you to page 413, so you can see that there is plenty to read!!)

Your information re types of visas is a bit wrong. The two Contributory Parent Visa types are the 143 (permanent) and 173 (temporary for two years, but convertible to a 143 at any time* within this period, usually without a further medical). You pay more for the two-stage process, but spread out the payments. (*There is no need to wait six months, but you have to have "activated" your 173 by entering Australia – we put in our application 2 weeks after arriving in December 2011.)

Next, eligibility and sponsorship: The first problem is the "balance of family" test – to be eligible for a CPV (143 or 173), at least half of your kids (ie, two out of your four) must be in Oz. So you'll need to wait until your second offspring is back in Oz on a permanent visa. Secondly sponsorship: You need your child to sponsor you, and s/he must be "settled" in Oz – usually for two years or more, so a PRV with three years' residence sounds OK.

For much more detail of the ins and outs, have a good look at the Immigration Dept's Booklet 3 – Parent Migration (see http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books3.htm​you can download the entire booklet from there). There are also links to the forms that have to be completed, a page detailing the fees payable, and so on.

Another useful site is at http://www.chireckles.com/cpv/tracker.php, which has useful summary information and a "tracker" so you can see how people's applications progress.

Good luck, Mike

• 8 months later...

Hi Frizzy1 I found your posts on this wonderful site and I'm wondering if you and your patents have been successful in moving to Australa. I hope you were and that will give hope to us all who are too old to emigrate.

I long to live there but spent years caring for my ill mother who died 2 years ago and now I'm too old to emigrate.

• 1 year later...
Hi,

My sister has been living in Oz now for two years and has just been notified that she will be getting her residency through shortly which is excellent news!.

My parents are now planning to apply for the Contributory Aged Parent visa via my sisters sponsorship (they are over 65 and in good health etc) and, once they receive that, I am planning to apply for the remaining relative visa through sponsorship from my Sister (I will have no other family outside Oz).

I have a question regarding the visa payments for the Contributory Aged Parent Visa i.e what gets paid and when?. We have been told conflicting information that the large payment needs to be paid up front but others have said that this is paid at the end and then residency is granted approx 6 weeks after receipt of the final payment - could someone who is going through this please confirm?

Also does anyone know the average times from start to finish for receiving the CPV/remaining relative visas? It would be good to managed expectations. From what I have read on here, we could reasonably expect both my mum and dad and myself to be all resident within two years?

Any other thoughts/issues would be welcome - this is my first post so apologies if it has been covered off elsewhere.

Many thanks!

Frizzy

Hi Frizzy

We got our CPV in October 2013 so fairly new. It took 16 months to process the big payment was made at the end when we had had and passed our medicals i.e. in the last 6 weeks, altogether it cost about $84k for the visa plus $10k bond for my husband and $4k for me this just stays in our daughters bank account frozen until it is released, in our case in 10 years as we are not aged we will also get the interest on this amount.

Good luck with your parents. I'm afraid I cannot comment on your visa but it is a lot of money for your parents to pay out if you are not sure of the outcome of your visa, but I'm sure you have checked this all out.

Good luck to you as well.

Kind regards Sooty

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone,

Well strangely I got notified today about activity on this topic for the first time in 3 year and thought I would post a quick update.

My parents got their CPV visa in Aug 2010 and are now citizens! I came out 2 years later in May 2012 on the back of my partners 457 visa.  We will be applying for citizenship in May!

We are very settled here in Oz and love the lifestyle ? We also now have a 4.5 yo little boy ❤.

Howis everyone else doing?

Guest The Pom Queen
1 hour ago, frizzy1 said:

Hi everyone,

Well strangely I got notified today about activity on this topic for the first time in 3 year and thought I would post a quick update.

My parents got their CPV visa in Aug 2010 and are now citizens! I came out 2 years later in May 2012 on the back of my partners 457 visa.  We will be applying for citizenship in May!

We are very settled here in Oz and love the lifestyle ? We also now have a 4.5 yo little boy ❤.

Howis everyone else doing?

Congratulations @frizzy1 Lovely to see you posting again. 

Archived