Friends Wanted URGENTLY !

Guest Mart&Co

Guest Mart&Co
Hi All,

This is my first entry! I have just been granted my 175 VISA and I will be moving over as soon as I have a little money saved. I am a teacher and want to live in QLD, around BBNE. Are there any areas to avoid?

BrandyOz,

I would post this question on the general dilemmas board as you will probably get many more replies.

There are lots of things to take into consideration when looking at areas around Brisbane for example:

How close to the city do you want to be

How much are you prepared to travel to work

How much are you prepared to pay for rent/mortgage

Do you want to be near the coast or in the mountains

Do you want modern or traditional

With these things in mind, you can ask more specific questions and people will be glad to help. I have found them to be a friendly and helpful bunch !!

Good luck...:spinny:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Richard and carole

Hi there, Enjoyed meeting a few faces on Sunday. It was a very big meeting so never got chance to say hi to all ,but it was nice to say hi to Sharon, Lorraine, Martin, Ben and Daisy and Taryn, Frazer Leah and Thomas. Hope to catch up again soon. Carole and Luke.

Guest jonnyd809

Hey, just me, just saying it was a raelly good day, met loads of people and it was a good turnout, i neva managed to speak 2 every1 but at the next 1 ill make sure 2 get round every1 :biglaugh:

hey guys can we have uz as friends too lol finding it abit hard ,like u guys we r into havin a drink , rugby and good banter jo n james

Guest kissfritz

Hi there, I sympathise with that `I'm in paradise, but a bit lonely' feeling that you get when you first move to oz. Have you heard of the BBC (Brisbane British) meet up at all? If you get your skates on they meet today (sun 12 Oct 08) at 1pm at the Pig & Whistle Pub in Brisbane city centre. Last time I looked about 60-odd were down to attend - so would be a good place for you to start meeting other folk. Check the group out at www.meetup.com. Best of luck and enjoy :-)

Dear all,

We have been in Petrie, near Strathpine (Brisbane North Side) for around 7 weeks or so and have settled in well except for the fact that we have no friends...

Myself (39) Lorraine (40 - don't tell anyone!) Ben (18) and Daisy (15) are very nice people and could be great friends but we are finding life very lonely at the moment. Lorraine is a Nurse and I am currently buying a business in Beerwah. Ben has just finished his 'A' levels in the UK and is taking a year out before going to Uni to study Law. Daisy is still at School and is currently at Pine Rivers State High School.

We would love to make contact with people around our age that appreciate how lonely it can be when you first arrive. Please be aware that we can be:

Loud - most of the time

Funny - sometimes

Boring - occasionally

Late - invariably !

Generous - when we feel it is deserving

We like to have a laugh - I love to see my wife smile. I am still mastering the male domain of the BBQ (and have noticed that size is important - my BBQ is so large, you need a truck license to move it!!):biglaugh:

We have even joined the North Leagues RSL !!

If you think you can help, please get in touch.

Thank you for your sympathy and understanding.

Martin:notworthy:

Hi Mart & co - we're in Kallangur (about 5mins from you) - OH is almost 41, i slightly younger in mid 30's LOL and we have a 4year old. We joined the North Leagues just last week so maybe passed your table!! Free most weekends so if you're firing up the bbq give us a shout.....

Guest KirstenS16

Hi Everyone,

We actually live really close to Petrie - we live in Dakabin and also frequent North's - woo hoo! Our kids are a bit younger than yours so not much help there (although we could use some - lol). We are actually looking for people close by to get together with also. So maybe this forum will end up with a get together? I'm game! Norths here we come!

Cheers, Kirsten

Guest KirstenS16

Oops - just realised you guys already DID get together - sorry only joined today - didn't really know this stuff was out there! Wish I had have found it sooner! Anyway if you get together for another one we'd love to try and make it.

Kirsten

Guest Mart&Co

Hi Kirsten,

Great to hear from you weve been here 3months now and still struggle with missing home and family and friends. The meet was a big hit and i think its got a lot of people talking and meeting up so try and come to the next one as it does help. How long you been here?

Lorraine

We have Internet access at long last again...thank god, you don't realise how much you rely/need it out here. Long story guys but it has taken Telstra since the 3rd Oct (when we moved into this house at Ferny Grove) to get their act together and get the phone line and internet working, its been so frustrating!!

But anyway, really enjoyed meeting you all at the last BBQ although I did not get chance to speak to everyone as long as I would have liked and I did volunteer to arrange the next meet up, mainly 'cos I felt guilty as my little boy ate nearly the whole packet of Lorraine's biscuits! Only joking, I don't mind.

I think I am going to start a new thread called "North Brissie meet up" so we can attract some of the newer folk who could not make it last time but I will also PM anyone who has shown interest but doesn't attach their details to the new thread so they are not left out/forgotten. Same place, but at the lower park nearer the toliets? Or does someone want to suggest somewhere else? I was thinking Sun 9th Nov, gives people time to re-arrange their busy social calendars if need be and is 6 weeks since the last one - let me know your thoughts.

Can't make the 9th - family bbq then. Hopefully will make the next one as really need to expand the social circle. Have fun :spinny:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest16631

absolutely hopeless with a computer but have lived here for 15 years !!!!!!!!! in narangba .both mid 40 s with 3 sons 23 20 and 12 email is julie_shand@bigpond.com still miss the uk julie underscore shand dont know what the blue line is

Guest AndreaO

Hi

We arrived in Oz early September we are based north NSW near Byron Bay. It's a beautiful place. My husband (47) is a roofer and started working fairly quickly, myself not that old - will be looking for work soon. Our son is 18 and has applied to Queensland Uni for Mar 09. In the meantime he is working in a nightclub in Byron and surfing during the day!

We are about 1 1/2 - 2 hours south of Brisbane, but its a nice place to visit.

The O'Sullivans.

Guest Guest16631

not sure if i have done this priperly sure cant spell but if i hit the back button might loose it all went to byron for my 40 th great place a little more staid up here but i like the sunshine coast i nursed in the uk but not here OH works away a lot so on my own heaps one son left home one an apprentice chef unsocial hours and a school child high school next year let me know if i can help with anything good luck to you and yours :wubclub:

• 3 weeks later...
Welcome to PIO, I am sure a lot of people will be on soon to help you out, I am a little far away being in NSW, but there are lots of people in your neck of the woods.

Welcome to Australia too!:wubclub:

Hi Jaynie, where abouts in NSW are you? My hubby and I are in Illawarra area, Sydney's South Coast and are a bit lacking in the new friends department! I'm glad that other people have put these threads on, felt a bit sad thinking it was just us!

We've been down this way for a year now, but in NSW for 2 years.:smile:

Guest treebox

Hiya!

I love your post.

We have just come over from UK in August this year. We have been staying on the Sunshine Coast but are moving to Woody Point this week and want to have a little house warming party but only have my partners brother and girlfriend so far. You are more than elome to come Petrie is'nt that far in a car.

I do so understand what you mean it's so difficult to get a network going. I'm pulling my hair out most of the time.

We're a little younger than you but it's by a few years and whats a few years when your desperate for friends.

We have a 1 year old daughter called Amber'Grace ho is obviously soooo lovely.

We live in a little house right on the sea so you can come for a dip too. Not arranged a date for house warming yet trying to gather a few people up who's in the same boat. Let me know what you think.

My name is Theresa and my Partner is Andy.

Lol Tx

Sounds like you've solved your problem. Unfortunately, you're way too far away from me!!!

Is there anybody in the Campbelltown area? Methinks I must be the only Pom here - should have thought longer and harder before buying house - now stuck here until this economic downturn is over with and house price moves a bit - unless partner gets a job offer in Brisbane - he's been looking at jobs in Brisbane for some time now. Nearly got one in Cairns but they pulled the plug right at the end..... so stuck here in dear old Campbelltown. Guess it's better than Smethwick - although when you check the people who are moving in to the area you'd think you were in Smethwick (Birmingham for those who don't know!!)

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
Guest treebox

Hiya,

We have just moved to Woody Point, we'll be neighbours.

If you have nothing planned for New Years Eve then let me know as i'm trying to get some people together at our house to see the New Year in, if you can't make it then we can meet up anyway.

I'm Theresa 36, Andy 32 and Amber'Grace 14 months but no worries shes cool and we're still normalish people that have a laugh all the time.

We've only been here for 5 months so still finding our feet.

Let me know what your plans are cos it would be good to see the new year in with people around.

Tx

• 2 weeks later...
Guest the harpers in oz

hi martin

myself and family moved to narangba on the 1st nov which isn't far from you guys at all!! we have friends here who put us up initially but have now moved to our rental! i have two boys aged 9yrs and 7yrs my husband is 34 and i'm 28 ( plus a few years!!!!!).

as like you after coming from a huge circle of friends have found it quite lonely at times!! would be lovely to meet up for a BBQ and a few beers.... you guys sound like good fun!!

i am a RN and have just secured work as a casual nurse at redcliffe/ caboulture hosp and my husband is an auto electrician. very handy man to know if you like all the gadgets in your cars!!!

would love to hear from you... are you on skype??

happy new year to you all and look forward to meeting up sometime

sarah and gang x

Guest mrraver66

Hi Martin

Mark and myself are in Nerang on the Gold Coast with lads aged 18 and 17 years. We have been here 7 weeks, settled eventually as only just got the furniture but loving Gold Coast area. Feeling a bit like you so any time you fancy a meet up give us a shout.

My husband is getting to grips with driving our Barbie although ours isn't on wheels and so can't go very far !!!

Be good t hear from you

Debbie and Mark

Hi Martin, Sue, Sam and Si,

Sounds like you lot will be having a lorra laughs when you all get together, We would love to be included in any meet ups. We have been in Oz now for two months and so far we really love it, it would be nice to meet people who are up for exploring, day trips etc. We are curretly renting in South Brisbane, Bayside area in a place called Cleveland which we like very much. We would be happy to drive up North to meet you guys, we spent 3 weeks in Redcliffe when we first arrived. We could also meet up in the city, my kids are 11 and 6 and are willing to try anything, like their mum and dad!! (40's) yikes!

Hi

Just got back online (cheers Telstra-useless or what!). Havent read all the thread as spent all night deleting the 313 junk mails i got in my emails!! We are new to narangba and are still waiting to meet some more people. We have an 8 year old boy and a 4 year old boy and i would love to get the eldest off the Wii and Playstation to meet some mates. Long time til back at school. Any meetups in the near future? If anyone wants to meet up let me know as i am quite bored too

Georgie

Archived