Friends Wanted URGENTLY !

Guest Mart&Co

Dear all,

We have been in Petrie, near Strathpine (Brisbane North Side) for around 7 weeks or so and have settled in well except for the fact that we have no friends...

Myself (39) Lorraine (40 - don't tell anyone!) Ben (18) and Daisy (15) are very nice people and could be great friends but we are finding life very lonely at the moment. Lorraine is a Nurse and I am currently buying a business in Beerwah. Ben has just finished his 'A' levels in the UK and is taking a year out before going to Uni to study Law. Daisy is still at School and is currently at Pine Rivers State High School.

We would love to make contact with people around our age that appreciate how lonely it can be when you first arrive. Please be aware that we can be:

Loud - most of the time

Funny - sometimes

Boring - occasionally

Late - invariably !

Generous - when we feel it is deserving

We like to have a laugh - I love to see my wife smile. I am still mastering the male domain of the BBQ (and have noticed that size is important - my BBQ is so large, you need a truck license to move it!!):biglaugh:

We have even joined the North Leagues RSL !!

If you think you can help, please get in touch.

Thank you for your sympathy and understanding.

Martin:notworthy:

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to PIO, I am sure a lot of people will be on soon to help you out, I am a little far away being in NSW, but there are lots of people in your neck of the woods.

Welcome to Australia too!:wubclub:

Hi Martin

Sadly, we are still in the UK at the moment but Petrie is one of the places we had considered as my OH may be able to get work in Brisbane North Side.

Hubby is 40 (41 in May, but I didn't tell you that, lol) and I am 37. Our children are 12 (DS) and 10 (DD).

I would love to hear more about the area you live in, and if we ever manage to get there, we would certainly be happy to be your BBQ guinea pigs!!

Sue xx

Sue,

Petrie is rather like a large village and is clean and tidy. It is very handy for the Northside and the Train can get you into the CBD in around 30 mins at a very resonable price of around $4 each way.

Petrie on Pine (where we are) is a development that is not brand new but still has the occasional new house being buit, although there won't be anymore development going on here. There is a lovely, quiet Reserve behind the Estate which is beautiful to walk along and take in the views of the Mountains in the distance (Mount Mee & Mount Glorious i think).

We do find it quite a convenient location for travelling either up to the Sunshine Coast (approx. 45 mins) or down to places like Surfers (approx. 1.5 hours) and of course, the City itself but you do have to drive anywhere if you need things. My kids like the location because it is quiet but hate it because it is, well...quiet. They will need to scrounge a lift from you to go Strathpine for the Cinema, Clubs and so on. There are buses that operate for the High School which is a free service from Petrie in to Strathpine.

We are around 25 mins from the nearest beach at Redcliffe. There is an artificial Lagoon there which is good if you don't want to go in the Sea and lots of BBQ's around the park area which backs on to the beach and Redcliffe is usually buzzing at the weekends during the day (but a Ghost town at night). The main beach is small but clean although I think it is artificial.

There is definitely a small community feel about Petrie but having an 18 and 15 year old, I wonder if we have found ourselves in the wrong area.

Having said that, when you watch a Koala wandering around in your garden, your heart melts and all your troubles melt away.

If you have any specific questions about the area, I would be happy to help.

Martin

Hiya Martin,

We're arriving on the 21st Dec so not too far off and are going to be total billy-no-mates, booked a motel in Redcliffe for a couple of weeks so not too far away from you..... About us:

Me - loud.

My husband - quiet. (basically can't get a word in with me around so has given up trying)

Age - early (read mid!) 30's

Likes - drinking, eating, going to beach, holidays, rugby, shopping, watching telly (we are quite simple creatures)

Dislikes - hangovers, constant battle with imminent middle-aged spread

If you'll have us we'll be your mates, you guys sound fab!

x

We'll be up for that Sue! Also - seeing as we'll be there before you I guess? if you want the low down on any specific suburbs let me know which ones in case they're the same ones we look at so I'll be able to message you some first hand info if you like....9 months ago we were convinced with North Lakes and Redcliffe but now we honestly don't have a clue, Coomera sounds great as does Robina, Manly, I always liked the look of Eatons Hill and Bracken Ridge too...then again Jo (Johatts) always sells Sinammon Park so well too....so who knows? It's all so exciting!

xx

Dear all,

We have been in Petrie, near Strathpine (Brisbane North Side) for around 7 weeks or so and have settled in well except for the fact that we have no friends...

Myself (39) Lorraine (40 - don't tell anyone!) Ben (18) and Daisy (15) are very nice people and could be great friends but we are finding life very lonely at the moment. Lorraine is a Nurse and I am currently buying a business in Beerwah. Ben has just finished his 'A' levels in the UK and is taking a year out before going to Uni to study Law. Daisy is still at School and is currently at Pine Rivers State High School.

We would love to make contact with people around our age that appreciate how lonely it can be when you first arrive. Please be aware that we can be:

Loud - most of the time

Funny - sometimes

Boring - occasionally

Late - invariably !

We like to have a laugh - I love to see my wife smile. I am still mastering the male domain of the BBQ (and have noticed that size is important - my BBQ is so large, you need a truck license to move it!!):biglaugh:

Martin

Hold on we are coming! We may take a while though so don't put the kettle on yet!

We are heading to Redcliffe way and I have a 17 year old daughter and a 15 year old daughter and a 7 year old son, but we are only just submitting the PR visa so we are probably looking at March at the earliest!

Don't light the Barbie yet!:biglaugh: And Sue and Sam and Si we definatly would like to meet when we finally get there!

We'de be up for a few beers ! What business are you setting up in Beerwah ? Are we getting something new and exciting ? Please tell me it is an Indian restaurant !

Hi Mart & Lorraine,

We'd be up for a meet up! We have been here for 4 weeks and still trying to find our feet to be truthful. We are moving to a rented house in Ferny Grove, (NW of the city) on the 3rd Oct but we are currently staying in a f/f unit in New Farm. We actually went for 2 houses on your side of the city but by the time the agent came back with a postitive response we had already signed up for this one. We are myself, Sharon (39), hubby Paul (40 next week!!) and our 2 year old son, Nathan. I work in recruitment and have been sponsored by a company to join them, start 13th Oct and Paul is looking for work once we get childcare sorted.

Just let me know when/where suits you guys...we obviously don't have a babysitter so going to a bar is out of the question but there are loads of other options so let me know what your thoughts are. I think the sooner us newbies all get our social netork sorted the better as it is a bit lonely when you first arrive.

Sharon & Paul

Guest matt&dan

Hello

We live in Upper Coomera on the Gold Coast so not very close, but if you ever in the area or fancy meeting up then give us a shout. Our kids are only 4 & 7 though so may not be very interesting for your kids. x

Guest ross-lavender

Hi Martin

I think we are miles away rom you on the southside in kenmore but in need of friends too!! We have been here for 3 weeks and my OH works in the city .My children are also small 2 and 4 and we are early 40'S (and clinging on!) but would be up for a beer or something .

Nikki

Hi Mart & co,

We have been in North QLD for 3 months now.

We are living and working in Townsville, a long way from you, I know.But being Pommies, it is nice to have pommie friends.The Convicts are great if you can get on with them, but you do get some funny people who carn't take a joke, so be carefull.

My wife and I are both 45 and our kids are 19,18 and 12.

We have been round the world a bit, trying to settle for our retirement and for the best place for our kids to live in. We left UK to go to SA, but since that has gone downhill, we decided on OZ, as I have relatives in Brissie.

We all love it here, Bloody hot up here by the Reef though.

we are originally from Northamptonshire.

We will gladly be your friends,as the only friends (if you can call them that), is our work mates. Would be good to have some friends outside of the workplace.

Good luck in your new adventure

Tony,Karon and kids

Guest Richard and carole

Hi There, We are in Strathpine! Got a barbie but cobwebs all over that's how many friends we have!

We also have 2 children Kara 15 and Luke 9. We are very quiet and need to get out more and meet some friends.

We have been living here over 2 years now and not met many people, we just must be very booring.

I thought it might be nice for our Daughters to get together as well as they are similer age.

Would be nice to get in touch, Rich and Carole.

Guest mollyflanders

ross lavender hi there we are not far from you in middle park, been here almost 1 year now, made very few friends so far . I am at gold coast at moment until monday with daughter and grandkids, so home for a rest on monday ...laugh

Dear all,

Loud - most of the time

Funny - sometimes

Boring - occasionally

Late - invariably !

We like to have a laugh - I love to see my wife smile. I am still mastering the male domain of the BBQ (and have noticed that size is important - my BBQ is so large, you need a truck license to move it!!)

Martin

Hi there!

We are in North Lakes so not far from you. I am Sue (38- dont tell anyone) hubby Jason (41) is a brickie. Our kids are a bit younger than yours at 12, 10 & 7 but we would welcome a meet up as we feel like billy no mates too!

We are planning a housewarming party when - and if ever - our container turns up from the UK! We just need to buy a barbie & recruit someone to show us what to do with it! Its just a bit embarrassing to invite people over at the moment when we hardly have any furniture/plates/cutlery etc! (sound familiar anyone?!) :jiggy:

Most of your criteria seem to fit us!

What is the RSL by the way?!

Would be great to hear from you.

Sue & gang x:spinny:

Hi everyone who's posted on this thread so far - looks like there's load of us billy-no-mates and soon-to-be-billy-no-mates - let's all be billy's together shall we?! In all seriousness we would love to meet everyone when we arrive in December and if anyone is at a loose end over Christmas or New Years Eve and fancies maybe a barbie and a few beers please please think of us as we will be in our motel trying very hard not to feel sorry for ourselves! (am also starting to have gruesome images of us lurking around the communal barbies by the beach to try and strike up conversations with unwilling strangers!!).

Cheers everyone

Wow ! What can I say ?...

You go away for a few days feeling lonely and depressed and now we have come home and found all these applications to be our friends. :spinny:

Obviously we will need to short list and vet all the applications and we will invite those shortlisted to attend a formal interview....NOT (lol!!):biglaugh:

Isn't it great to know that when you are all alone, you're not alone at all.

Perhaps we should organise a meet for everyone as there are so many people. We could organise a get together in a Park or something with a BBQ and then the younger ones could play whilst the older ones all sit there and enjoy a therapy session, sharing their woes and so on...(maybe share a few drinkies too!)

Lorraine and I both start work next week. Me on Monday and Lorraine on Tuesday but if anyone is up for a get together, let me know.

(I hope that it doesn't mean I have to organise it tho'...not very good at that sort of thing & I'd guarantee we'd be late anyway)

Anyone want to volunteer ? (please !!)

I must just say tho', thank you for all the replies, it really does make you feel better.

Hi

I am happy to organise a meet up at a park somewhere - how about Sun 5th Oct? Can everyone let me know if...

A. If that date suits them

B. What suburb you live in so I can choose a park that is around half way for us all

I know Nikki (Ross Lavendar) lives down the south side but the rest of you seem to live in the North side so any suggestions as to where is good for us all to get to??

We can just have a picnic/BBQ and a few beers and if we choose to meet in a park at least those of us with younger children can let them run wild nearby etc.

Be good to meet up with others in the same situation, so the more the merrier as far as I am concerned. Let me know who is interested.

Sharon

Hi Mart & co,

We have been in North QLD for 3 months now.

We are living and working in Townsville, a long way from you, I know.But being Pommies, it is nice to have pommie friends.The Convicts are great if you can get on with them, but you do get some ................................r new adventure

Tony,Karon and kids

Thats Wicked - but funny!!! (not if you are an Ozzie though!):biglaugh:

Hi

I am happy to organise a meet up at a park somewhere - how about Sun 5th Oct? Can everyone let me know if...

A. If that date suits them

B. What suburb you live in so I can choose a park that is around half way for us all

.......... interested.

Sharon

Hi Sharon

I think its great that you're organising this so thanks!

Date fine for us - its not as though our social calender is full!! lol!

We are in North Lakes

Sorry but cant really suggest anywhere as we dont know the areas that well but we've got a map so I'm sure we could make it to where you decide. Look forward to meeting you all! :jiggy:

Sue & gang (38,41,12,10,7)

Guest kizznandy

Hi there,My name is Karina 38+and my Husband Andy42+ , we moved out here 8 yrs ago nearly with our four kids,We dicided to moved to Tamborine mtn and have been here ever since.Unfortunatley you live nth of brisbane so only can keep in touch via chat if you like.All i can say is keep going to the rsl and other local bars etc and eventually you might find a friend or two.We arriend here with no-one and a mth later thought what do people do on the wk ends....... it was ALL FAMILY gatherings but lucky for us we got invited and now have a few friends about.I have daughter studing law at griffith uni on the gold coast she is 21 and a son nearly 19 two more daughters 15 and nearly 13.The thing we found with ozzys at first is they almost seem affended when you talk to them and then if you want some advise they seem to be your best buddy, its all just a matter of time.I hope you dont get to lonley and just keep pushing on .Would love to chat so its good for me and im your time frame here in ozz .Its not to far for a drive about 2 1-2 hrs so could always have a sundrive .....Any questions just ask.Karina.

Sharon,

Thank you for taking the heat off me !! :notworthy:

For a while I thought i was going to regret suggesting a meet as I'm not much of an organiser.

We would love to meet up and share a few drinkies, tales of woe and so on...

We are still finding our way around at the mo but there are some good facilities at Suttons Beach, Redcliffe if you fancy it. There is a kids play area, BBQ's, Toilets and showers as well as the beach, although there is also a lovely family friendly lagoon if you fancy a swim without being Shark bait.

But it is just a suggestion ?

Archived