VISA GRANTED TODAY - and advice for others on DeFacto Visa

Guest ClaireBaxter84

Guest ClaireBaxter84

Hello all!

Just wanted to share the news that I have just this minute been granted my defacto subclass 309 visa!

Am absolutely thrilled!!! Me and aussie partner will be heading back to Melbourne in the next few weeks to start a new life:jiggy:

I just wanted to offer some reassurance to those of you about to apply and offer to answer any questions for people.

We lodged our application last Friday 12th September, the C/O replied on Sunday 14th, I had a telephone interview today (Tuesday 16th September) and have just had the email confirming that it has been granted. Now it is just a matter of sending in my passport to get it stamped.

Our story is that we met in Thailand in Jan 07. Nick then moved over to the UK in March 07 on his working holiday visa. We have lived together ever since. With the UK working holiday visa aussies can only work for 12 months out of 24 months so for the past 6 months we have actually been living with my parents. I thought it would be helpful for some of you if I listed what we put into our application (as ours was obviously very speedy!!).

1) Both our forms

2) certifed copies of our birth certificates and passport id page (by a local solicitor)

3) our statements of our relationship (just on ordinary paper, typed and not certified just signed by us detailing the ENTIRE of our relationship, when we met, how, domestic duties, holidays I mean EVERYTHING, they were both 6-8 pages long)

4) copies of Nick (my sponsor) 's employment history, letters from employers, old payslips, P60's (as he has been working in the UK)

5) Bank statements ( we DID NOT have a joint account but we highlighted all transactions between one anothers account for bills, holidays, groceries, etc etc

6) Copies of rent leases (the first lease was in my name only but I included the brochure for the flat clearly showing how tiny it was and that it was only us living there - they are mostly concerned that you have ONLY LIVED WITH EACH OTHER and not in a share house) (the second lease had both our names on). We divided this sections into the different addresses we had lived at and included all the utilities that we could. We even called our gas and electricity company for any copies that were missing. We had council tax in a joint name for one flat and joint gas and electric.

7) Copies of all holiday itineraries, confirmations from expedia, flight receipts etc

8) Stat Decs (Australian Form 888 from Nick's family and friends, about 12 in total, with copies of their passports also attached, all certified and sent to UK)

9) Pictures from almost every occassion that we had mentioned in our statememt - not originals, just taken placed on a separate piece of A4 for each occassion, not certified either)

10) I had already applied for my police certificate which arrived in 5 days so this was included in the app when lodging

11) I had already gone for my meds with a great doctor in London (Dr. Kowtowski who had sent the results to Australia House in London before we lodged, they just get tallied up when you do lodge)

12) Extra info, email exchanges whilst we were apart in the beginning, copies of our CV's and a statement from Nick saying how as my sponsor he would support me.

SO!!! That is everything!!!

Like I said we lodged our application last Friday 12th September, the C/O replied on Sunday 14th, I had a telephone interview today (Tuesday 16th September) and have just had the email confirming that it has been granted - SO it just goes to show if you have enough evidence and compile it properly it is much appreciated by the Oz embassy!!!

I have STRESSED out so much over this so I would like to offer any words of advice to those of you who want to know how to collate it and present it etc.

Much love and excitement!!!!

Claire xx:jiggy:

Guest ChaznDrew

Wow thats fab news !!! what part of Aus u going to?? My partner has been issued a defacto visa we fly out on 14th November back to my home Perth cant wait.

Good luck

Guest ClaireBaxter84

Hi ChaznDrew - we are off to Melbourne as that is where Nick's family and friends are!

Have a fantastic time going back to Perth!!! Congrats to you too! Such a good feeling when it is all done and dusted!! x

Hi Claire,

Big CONGRATULATIONS to you!

Its lovely to see the system does work! (And a CO replying on a Sunday, that must be a first right?)

But well done and I bet you can't wait to get home for the start of the good old Aussie weather!

=)

Bexta.

Guest ClaireBaxter84

Bexta - thanks so much!

I was reading your post earlier and I am keeping my fingers crossed for you. Let me know if I can help in any way - I know how stressful this is and how much you just want to get there xxx

Oh absolutely! Just can't wait to get home! Thank you though.

Since my last post on my other thread my CO has actually emailed me back (hurrah!) so will be going over what she said with my OH tonight and then hopefully we can get back to her tomorrow with the information she needs!

Also- thanks so much for posting all the info of what you included in your application. Although we've obviously already sent ours in, its good to see what other people included (ours was similar in content to yours, though perhaps not *quite* as much!)... but I know people who are still in the process of collating their information will definitely find posts like your helpful! Nice job!

=)

Guest pamzer03

Hi Claire

Thats great news you must be both so pleased! I am sponsoring my partner as im the ozzie citizen. Can you tell me what your partner wrote regarding income and how he is going to support you? What do i need to includ? Is this on a seperate piece of paper? Also I def dont need to get our statements certified?

Guest ClaireBaxter84
Hi Claire

Thats great news you must be both so pleased! I am sponsoring my partner as im the ozzie citizen. Can you tell me what your partner wrote regarding income and how he is going to support you? What do i need to includ? Is this on a seperate piece of paper? Also I def dont need to get our statements certified?

Hi Pamzer!

Ok, my partner Nick wrote a statement on a separate piece of blank A4 paper (typed). He bascially put in there a) where we were going to live when we got there (in our case it was with his parents for a few weeks) b) how soon after we got back he would be looking for a job c) what kind of job he would be applying for (quoting that he had been looking on seek.com.au etc and the average salary for this position was...$however many dollars) d) that he would be taking out income protection insurance (you can again include a few companies that you have looked at e) that he was sure that this would be enough to sustain the both of us BUT that I would be seeking employment also f) that he had shown me as the applicant the various job websites and made me aware of them g) told them what my profession was and how much I was looking to earn...

We also included an up to date copy of both of our CV's (although we created a section called additional info and put this in but you can refer to it in your statement).

He also added letters from his most recent employers detailing start and leave dates and salary and as many payslips that we could find for him!!!

We definitely did not have our statements sworn we just put our names at the bottom and signed them. We were told by the Oz embassy that it wasn't required. However if you are worried, for your own piece of mind and to stop you stressing more than you probably already are over this whole process you can get it done by a lawyer :jiggy:

I hope all this helps!!!

Please let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck :spinny:

Claire xxx

Guest pamzer03

Thanks for that Claire!

Think I will go with your advise and not get our statements signed as saves a lot of hassle! Thats great advise on the income statement now I know what to write! Can you also tell me that when providing proof our australian citizenship is it ok just to include a certified copy of my australian passport or do i need a copy of the citizenship certificate?

Hi Pamzer!

Ok, my partner Nick wrote a statement on a separate piece of blank A4 paper (typed). He bascially put in there a) where we were going to live when we got there (in our case it was with his parents for a few weeks) b) how soon after we got back he would be looking for a job c) what kind of job he would be applying for (quoting that he had been looking on seek.com.au etc and the average salary for this position was...$however many dollars) d) that he would be taking out income protection insurance (you can again include a few companies that you have looked at e) that he was sure that this would be enough to sustain the both of us BUT that I would be seeking employment also f) that he had shown me as the applicant the various job websites and made me aware of them g) told them what my profession was and how much I was looking to earn...

We also included an up to date copy of both of our CV's (although we created a section called additional info and put this in but you can refer to it in your statement).

He also added letters from his most recent employers detailing start and leave dates and salary and as many payslips that we could find for him!!!

We definitely did not have our statements sworn we just put our names at the bottom and signed them. We were told by the Oz embassy that it wasn't required. However if you are worried, for your own piece of mind and to stop you stressing more than you probably already are over this whole process you can get it done by a lawyer :jiggy:

I hope all this helps!!!

Please let me know if I can help with anything else and good luck :spinny:

Claire xxx

Guest ClaireBaxter84

Pamzer,

My partner just included a certified copy of the photo page of his passport and a certified copy of his birth certificate?

• 5 months later...
Guest SkyeStephen09
Hello all!

Just wanted to share the news that I have just this minute been granted my defacto subclass 309 visa!

Am absolutely thrilled!!! Me and aussie partner will be heading back to Melbourne in the next few weeks to start a new life:jiggy:

I just wanted to offer some reassurance to those of you about to apply and offer to answer any questions for people.

We lodged our application last Friday 12th September, the C/O replied on Sunday 14th, I had a telephone interview today (Tuesday 16th September) and have just had the email confirming that it has been granted. Now it is just a matter of sending in my passport to get it stamped.

Our story is that we met in Thailand in Jan 07. Nick then moved over to the UK in March 07 on his working holiday visa. We have lived together ever since. With the UK working holiday visa aussies can only work for 12 months out of 24 months so for the past 6 months we have actually been living with my parents. I thought it would be helpful for some of you if I listed what we put into our application (as ours was obviously very speedy!!).

1) Both our forms

2) certifed copies of our birth certificates and passport id page (by a local solicitor)

3) our statements of our relationship (just on ordinary paper, typed and not certified just signed by us detailing the ENTIRE of our relationship, when we met, how, domestic duties, holidays I mean EVERYTHING, they were both 6-8 pages long)

4) copies of Nick (my sponsor) 's employment history, letters from employers, old payslips, P60's (as he has been working in the UK)

5) Bank statements ( we DID NOT have a joint account but we highlighted all transactions between one anothers account for bills, holidays, groceries, etc etc

6) Copies of rent leases (the first lease was in my name only but I included the brochure for the flat clearly showing how tiny it was and that it was only us living there - they are mostly concerned that you have ONLY LIVED WITH EACH OTHER and not in a share house) (the second lease had both our names on). We divided this sections into the different addresses we had lived at and included all the utilities that we could. We even called our gas and electricity company for any copies that were missing. We had council tax in a joint name for one flat and joint gas and electric.

7) Copies of all holiday itineraries, confirmations from expedia, flight receipts etc

8) Stat Decs (Australian Form 888 from Nick's family and friends, about 12 in total, with copies of their passports also attached, all certified and sent to UK)

9) Pictures from almost every occassion that we had mentioned in our statememt - not originals, just taken placed on a separate piece of A4 for each occassion, not certified either)

10) I had already applied for my police certificate which arrived in 5 days so this was included in the app when lodging

11) I had already gone for my meds with a great doctor in London (Dr. Kowtowski who had sent the results to Australia House in London before we lodged, they just get tallied up when you do lodge)

12) Extra info, email exchanges whilst we were apart in the beginning, copies of our CV's and a statement from Nick saying how as my sponsor he would support me.

SO!!! That is everything!!!

Like I said we lodged our application last Friday 12th September, the C/O replied on Sunday 14th, I had a telephone interview today (Tuesday 16th September) and have just had the email confirming that it has been granted - SO it just goes to show if you have enough evidence and compile it properly it is much appreciated by the Oz embassy!!!

I have STRESSED out so much over this so I would like to offer any words of advice to those of you who want to know how to collate it and present it etc.

Much love and excitement!!!!

Claire xx:jiggy:

Hi Claire,

I know this post is a bit old now, but I was wondering if you could help with some stuff!

We are in the process of applying for the 309 offshore spouse visa (I'm Australian & my partner-English).

Thanks so much for posting all of the contents of your application - It has helped so much! You said, ....

Due to my our situation, we have not been able to afford to live on our own in a house/flat, as we've been living together on a Work/Holid Visa and with saving for flights to and from and visa's etc, we would never have a chance or afford to be together if we lived on our own and not in share accomm. We have evidence from the Landlord to say that we live together as a couple, share a room/bed and pay bills jointly (as well as receipts she's filled in). We will also get statements from our housemates (who are another couple) to state that we solely live there as a couple and not individuals. Do you think it might affect our visa chances if this is the case. In both Aus and UK we've had to live in shared (we both have uni loans/personal loans etc). Do you think we should write a statement stating that due to our financial situations (as I've previously said), living alone together isn't feasible until this (spouse) visa is granted.

Any suggestions/ideaS?

We'd appreciate any help! Thanks Claire

x

Guest jenny79

Due to my our situation, we have not been able to afford to live on our own in a house/flat, as we've been living together on a Work/Holid Visa and with saving for flights to and from and visa's etc, we would never have a chance or afford to be together if we lived on our own and not in share accomm. We have evidence from the Landlord to say that we live together as a couple, share a room/bed and pay bills jointly (as well as receipts she's filled in). We will also get statements from our housemates (who are another couple) to state that we solely live there as a couple and not individuals. Do you think it might affect our visa chances if this is the case. In both Aus and UK we've had to live in shared (we both have uni loans/personal loans etc). Do you think we should write a statement stating that due to our financial situations (as I've previously said), living alone together isn't feasible until this (spouse) visa is granted.

Any suggestions/ideaS?

We'd appreciate any help! Thanks Claire

x

to start off with, let me be clear that i didn't apply for the spouse/defacto visa, so i don't have any experience, but i'm just sharing my opinion :smile:

the way i see it, if you include a statement showing how renting your own apartment would have had adverse effects on your lives (financially speaking) and adding that unless you had shared accommodation you wouldn't be able to save for your big day (run a search on domain.com.au so as to find an average rental cost for your area and mention it)... i think that would help...

that's just a thought though... let the others who have had experience with this subclass to give you an answer.

good luck :wink:

Guest SkyeStephen09
to start off with, let me be clear that i didn't apply for the spouse/defacto visa, so i don't have any experience, but i'm just sharing my opinion

the way i see it, if you include a statement showing how renting your own apartment would have had adverse effects on your lives (financially speaking) and adding that unless you had shared accommodation you wouldn't be able to save for your big day (run a search on domain.com.au so as to find an average rental cost for your area and mention it)... i think that would help...

that's just a thought though... let the others who have had experience with this subclass to give you an answer.

good luck

Thanks Jenny!

I really appreciate your input and I am currently searching the website you advised! What you've mentioned makes perfect sense! I guess it doesn't hurt to submit a statement anyway! So do you think that stating were searching for a place of our own together, and state examples of where we've looked or plan to apply/stay etc, would help?

Also though, I'm going to have to apply for some jobs prior to the application, and show evidence of such. I guess I could use the average amount of money expected to be earnt and compare this to expected costs of flats/houses etc could help??

Thanks for all your help! Any help is greatly appreciated! All ideas are welcome!

Thanks xo :wubclub:

Thanks Jenny!

I really appreciate your input and I am currently searching the website you advised! What you've mentioned makes perfect sense! I guess it doesn't hurt to submit a statement anyway! So do you think that stating were searching for a place of our own together, and state examples of where we've looked or plan to apply/stay etc, would help?

Also though, I'm going to have to apply for some jobs prior to the application, and show evidence of such. I guess I could use the average amount of money expected to be earnt and compare this to expected costs of flats/houses etc could help??

Thanks for all your help! Any help is greatly appreciated! All ideas are welcome!

Thanks xo :wubclub:

Hi SkyeStephen

Just wanted to let you know me and my boyfriend were in the exact same situation and I

got my visa! We had never lived alone - 6 months in australia with his sister then a year in the UK with 2 flatmates.

It was a while since we submitted my application so may not be remembering the details completely accuratly, but as far as I remember with our applicaton we got my boyfriend's sister to write a letter "to whom it may concern" just outlining that we lived there for 6 months, we shared a room, we split the rent etc and we put in copies of bank statements, payslips etc with that address on them. Then for the flat in the UK we got our rental agency to write a letter to the effect that they had rented the flat to us on the understanding that the three bedrooms were for two singles and one couple and again put in copies of bank statements, bills etc with that address on them. In our statements we mentioned that we had shared accomodation due to financial reasons - but we didn't really go into any detail there. And also one our statements from 'family or friends' was written by one of our flatmates from the UK.

Hope that helps!

Marianne

Guest jenny79

to be quite honest, i don't know why sharing with someone (as long as you're not dependent on the others) should hinder in getting the visa... let's say you need to save money to buy your own house... saving about $100 a week in rent only because you decide to share, should be seen as "being responsible" and "making sacrifices" so as to better build your future together.... don't know whether i'm right or wrong, but that's the way i reason things out.

Guest SkyeStephen09
Hi SkyeStephen

Just wanted to let you know me and my boyfriend were in the exact same situation and I

got my visa! We had never lived alone - 6 months in australia with his sister then a year in the UK with 2 flatmates.

It was a while since we submitted my application so may not be remembering the details completely accuratly, but as far as I remember with our applicaton we got my boyfriend's sister to write a letter "to whom it may concern" just outlining that we lived there for 6 months, we shared a room, we split the rent etc and we put in copies of bank statements, payslips etc with that address on them. Then for the flat in the UK we got our rental agency to write a letter to the effect that they had rented the flat to us on the understanding that the three bedrooms were for two singles and one couple and again put in copies of bank statements, bills etc with that address on them. In our statements we mentioned that we had shared accomodation due to financial reasons - but we didn't really go into any detail there. And also one our statements from 'family or friends' was written by one of our flatmates from the UK.

Hope that helps!

Marianne

Thanks Mdtb!

I really appreciate your input! Yeah that has actually helped heaps, as thats all we have and were going to do! Its so good to hear people in the same situation have their visa's granted, so people like us have hope that we'll have a good chance! We don't want to be apart anymore!

Thanks again! We will defnintely do that! We've just got our Landlord to write a statement stating that we're renting as a couple, in one room, and share rent and bills etc. I guess an advantage of sharing, is that we can get our flatmates (another couple) to write a statement saying we share household duties!

Also, we don't really have much correspondence (bank statements etc) to prove my partner stayed with me the entire time he did in OZ. I can maybe prove like 2 months out of the 5. Does this matter? Can i just supply that and advise in the statement during which period he lived with me? Will this sufficE?

Thanks for helping and shedding a different light! It has helped heaps! AND CONGRATS ON THE VISA!

Guest SkyeStephen09
to be quite honest, i don't know why sharing with someone (as long as you're not dependent on the others) should hinder in getting the visa... let's say you need to save money to buy your own house... saving about $100 a week in rent only because you decide to share, should be seen as "being responsible" and "making sacrifices" so as to better build your future together.... don't know whether i'm right or wrong, but that's the way i reason things out.

Thats a really good point Jenny! I totally agree with you! I think I might use your advice in our statements to provide evidence as to why we've lived the way we have and how its of benefit in the long run! Thanks for your insight and ideas!

I appreciate your help!!! :wink:

Guest SkyeStephen09
Hi SkyeStephen

Hope that helps!

Marianne

THANKS MARIANNE!!! :laugh:

Archived