Cost of importing a motorbike?

Guest VFRHOCKS

Guest VFRHOCKS

Hello,

Seen the post for importing a car and thought would do one for a bike, I have spoken about a bike in there but wondered if anyone had any experience with taking a bike over as understood that there was some expensices that you do not pay but you do with a car.

From the details I had found, looked to cost about £1000 to ship mine over and get it on the road, although it might not have the same retail value over there, I really would not want to sell it on.

I also understood that if a bike (or car, for that matter) was stripped down you again did not pay certain expensises.

Can anyone advise please as getting confused. Not too clear with the import website, or am I just being thick, please dont reply to this last quesion, I think I know the answer.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

An interesting question.

When a mate of mine took both his can and his motorbikes to NZ (differnt country I know) he was only allowed to do so if they were over 2 years old otherwise he would have had to pay a fee (the equivalent of VAT.)

Are there similar rules regarding length of ownership for oz I wonder?

Hi VFR.

Good thread. I have no advice for you but would like to know the answers. My husband as a CBR1000 worth about £1800 - £2000. He would love to take it with us but is concerned about expense & re registering etc.

He looked for bikes for sale in Oz & found a similar bike to be about $8000, he has only looked on 1 website so this might not be a good indication of true prices. If it is though then it is worth paying £1000 to ship it over.

It may even be worth more in Oz than over here when he does decide to sell.

Better the bike you know?

Jaq

Guest VFRHOCKS

Bikes like a CBR1000 and mine, well most sports tourers even most bikes over there are sometimes twice the price to over hear, not sure whether worth that once over there as an import as have considered taking a few over to sell on if that is the case. Even willing to strip them to parts and re build over there.

Had a look at a few yesterday from Harleys to R1s to A few hondas.

They were all selling for atleast £1500 to £4000 more over there, makes you wonder whether worth shipping some of ours over there. Even just the parts as they are very expensive over there too.

Think on the CBR1000, you will pay between £1500 to £2000 more over there, and then you dont know the history behind it, plus they seem to have more mileage, but not as bad as the cars over there.

Guest TheArmChairDetective

I will bet you a pounf that if you take (import) a motor vehicle into Oz you will have to keep it for a couple of years otherwise if you took it in with the intention of selling you would be liable for import tax.

We briefly looked into it before we came and were led to believe its the 'hidden' costs this end that make the bill creep up ,it has to be cleaned by customs,all conversions have to be done on entry too such as clocks etc ,as i said didnt get as far as the ins and outs and we just sold and re bought here. Ebay Australia is a good guide to how much they cost and www.bikedeals.com.au

Cal x

Dealers arent bike(bad):biglaugh: I got a ex demo vt750 shadow for $8800 with 100 kliks on the clock, its only a workhorse only trouble the bloody servicing every 6000 kliks. $200 every 8 weeks:cry:

Gonna get a new toy if im allowed fancy a rocket 3 but may have to go for a tractor

Mally

bikes & cars are a dillemma when importing them to Oz.

Depending on which state, it can end up being a very expensive pastime.

Dont know about all the states, but here in Vic, once you have finished re-registering VIV etc etc, it can add over $1000 to the costs on top of transporting the bike and getting it cleared by customs. The bike will always be a grey import, which decreases the value when trying to resell, and some dealers might not want to touch it regarding repairs & servicing.

One hard and fast rule, is that you need to have owned the bike for at least 12 months prior to importing, and you need to bring it with you, you cant wait until the 12 months have passed, and then bring it in. You can on the other hand, strip it, and bring it as "spares" but you still need to get it registered and then you can have problems.

Most people dont bother in the end because of the red tape & cost involved. If its not rare or expensive I would look into it very carefully.

Guest beermeister

Here's what the Oz customs website says:

There are several steps to privately importing a motor vehicle:

• Obtain a "VEHICLE IMPORT APPROVAL" from the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Transport and Regional Services. Phone: 1800 815 272 (Australia only) or (02) 6274 7506, Fax: (02) 6274 6013, email: Vimports@dotars.gov.au;
  • Pay Customs duty, GST and Luxury Car Tax (LCT) where applicable and obtain a customs clearance at the port of entry; and
  • Obtain quarantine clearance from the Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service (AQIS) after the vehicle has arrived at the port of entry. For more information visit the AQIS website on www.aqis.gov.au

MOTORCYCLES (with reciprocating internal combustion piston engines only):

Customs duty = None

GST = 10%

LCT: Does not apply.

The "customs value" depends on how long you've owned it: if purchased before 2/3/98, you can depreciate the purchase price by 1% per month up to a maximum of 6 years; if purchased after 2/3/98, customs value = purchase price.

Guest Petra & Dave

Im going to look into taking my YZF750 with me as one it isnt an expensive bike(already sold that) worth about £800,got to now some lads in the brisbane area via there forum and it seems its worth around $5500 but as you say its still a grey import but wouldnt sell it on any thinking as and when i could afford to get back were i was with my bikes that i would turn it into a track bike

Hello,

Seen the post for importing a car and thought would do one for a bike, I have spoken about a bike in there but wondered if anyone had any experience with taking a bike over as understood that there was some expensices that you do not pay but you do with a car.

From the details I had found, looked to cost about £1000 to ship mine over and get it on the road, although it might not have the same retail value over there, I really would not want to sell it on.

I also understood that if a bike (or car, for that matter) was stripped down you again did not pay certain expensises.

Can anyone advise please as getting confused. Not too clear with the import website, or am I just being thick, please dont reply to this last quesion, I think I know the answer.

Hi

We have just come over and imported our aprilla rsv 1000.

we brought it in with our shipment in the same container...we used Allied Pickfords.

It cost an extra $500 (£250) to export pack and load.

You only have to pay 10% Government import tax for motorcycles.

As yours is a new vehicle you will pay 10% of whatever it cost you.

For us as the bike was a 2003 plate we had a 'landed value' taken by RAC here in WA which halved the value of the bike and hence the tax.

Send an email of your intentions to Vimports@dotars.gov.au they will send you back a pdf of the forms to complete.

There is also a guide to import vehicles on importing a motor vehicle

do not let the guide put you off it is very simple in the end if you have a copy of the vehicle reg in the uk, a copy of the receipt of when you bought the vehicle and proof of application for the visa...note not necessarily the visa itself...we just included a receipt for the visa application.

Once you have paid your fee which is about $60 dollars to Vimports it takes about 4 weeks to get the forms back by post, you will need the first page of the import approval to get the vehical on the shipment and through customs. We used copies and kept the original. All our documents were scaned and sent with the application and they include a visa/mastercard form which makes the whole process easy to do on email.

hope that helps

min x:wubclub:

Guest VFRHOCKS

Think as most who would consider taking any vehicle over, I aint intending on selling it.

The thought has crossed my mind to strip it down and take it as parts. Could get one over there, scrap and swap all the bits. Continplating having a paint job done again, as brother-in-law a sprayer.

• 10 months later...
Guest bebby

:smile:I thank you so very much for your post - I am an Aussie gal and still living in Germany with my German husband... He would like to import his "Harley", considering my knowlege of motorbikes or importing for that matter is like zero, I am finding it so overwhelming the procedures to import! Your post has actually given me a little "Hope" - my headaches are still there, but its good to read that somebody has actually done this.... (imported a bike , I mean)...

so the shipping in your personal household goods was allowed - I thought this was not accepted....

With the pack, do you mean the packing of the bike? Did Allied pack this for you or was this done by yourselves.... awaiting so urgently your answer, I only have 6 weeks to organise this for my husband before I fly back to Oz... Donna

Hi

We have just come over and imported our aprilla rsv 1000.

we brought it in with our shipment in the same container...we used Allied Pickfords.

It cost an extra $500 (£250) to export pack and load.

You only have to pay 10% Government import tax for motorcycles.

As yours is a new vehicle you will pay 10% of whatever it cost you.

For us as the bike was a 2003 plate we had a 'landed value' taken by RAC here in WA which halved the value of the bike and hence the tax.

Send an email of your intentions to Vimports@dotars.gov.au they will send you back a pdf of the forms to complete.

There is also a guide to import vehicles on importing a motor vehicle

do not let the guide put you off it is very simple in the end if you have a copy of the vehicle reg in the uk, a copy of the receipt of when you bought the vehicle and proof of application for the visa...note not necessarily the visa itself...we just included a receipt for the visa application.

Once you have paid your fee which is about $60 dollars to Vimports it takes about 4 weeks to get the forms back by post, you will need the first page of the import approval to get the vehical on the shipment and through customs. We used copies and kept the original. All our documents were scaned and sent with the application and they include a visa/mastercard form which makes the whole process easy to do on email.

hope that helps

:smile:I thank you so very much for your post - I am an Aussie gal and still living in Germany with my German husband... He would like to import his "Harley", considering my knowlege of motorbikes or importing for that matter is like zero, I am finding it so overwhelming the procedures to import! Your post has actually given me a little "Hope" - my headaches are still there, but its good to read that somebody has actually done this.... (imported a bike , I mean)...

so the shipping in your personal household goods was allowed - I thought this was not accepted....

With the pack, do you mean the packing of the bike? Did Allied pack this for you or was this done by yourselves.... awaiting so urgently your answer, I only have 6 weeks to organise this for my husband before I fly back to Oz... Donna

Hi

Allied Pickfords were our packers... basically they took measurments of the bike and then made a crate to fit around it...when they came to pack our household things into our container the crate came too and they packed the bike into the crate and then the bike was put in last of all in the container...with the rest of our things.

when i say crate it was more like an open slatted box not enclosed and they padded around the bike as well.

we had to pay extra for the making and fitting of the bike and crate..but it was probably only about £100.

once we arrived the bike was taken off seperately by allied pickfords and stored at the depot then an assesser goes from the rac and gives it a value and then that value is used for the customes and excise tax..then you pay the agent who pickfords use and then it is released for you to pick up... you have to then take it to be mot'ed and then you pay for plates (gst as well.... again...).. so you pay first an import duty then gst on top.

hope that helps

Guest bebby

Thanks heaps for your quick reply.... this has helped me and I hope it can help others...

Have a great day!:spinny:

Good Luck in Oz..

Hi

Allied Pickfords were our packers... basically they took measurments of the bike and then made a crate to fit around it...when they came to pack our household things into our container the crate came too and they packed the bike into the crate and then the bike was put in last of all in the container...with the rest of our things.

when i say crate it was more like an open slatted box not enclosed and they padded around the bike as well.

we had to pay extra for the making and fitting of the bike and crate..but it was probably only about £100.

once we arrived the bike was taken off seperately by allied pickfords and stored at the depot then an assesser goes from the rac and gives it a value and then that value is used for the customes and excise tax..then you pay the agent who pickfords use and then it is released for you to pick up... you have to then take it to be mot'ed and then you pay for plates (gst as well.... again...).. so you pay first an import duty then gst on top.

hope that helps

Archived