whats a sleep out?

Guest __TJ__

im looking at houses on the web to see what out money will get us in oz.

the places im looing at say 3bedroom with 2 sleepouts... all sorts of things are going thru my mind, is this a z-bed on the verandah? pull out sleeping area? or some sort of mezzanine bed system :err: im confused! then again it took me a whiel to wokr out that a robe was a wardrobe :biglaugh:

Guest moonraker1961

It can be a sunroom attached to the house (as someone else said like an enclosed verandah type room (like a conservatory but not with glass otherwise you'd slowly cook lol)or most I have seen are detached,made usually of hardboard.Just a personal thing I guess but I've never really liked them.I don't think they usually look that attractive and would imagine they'd be bloody freezing in winter or boiling hot in summer lol

Yup, usually a closed in verandah for a sleep out - looks tacky to me and not something that I would see as a selling point either.

Dongas are usually separate buildings AFAIK - hadnt really heard of them used in Australian real estate terminology but in PNG they are little houses - a bit like granny flats without the facilities:twitcy:

We came across dongas cos we were looking rural - they're transportable accommodation units usu for shearers, miners etc. Its just one of those words that makes juvenile people like me titter.

Guest christel

Hi...a sleepout is a closed in veranda, or a patio that has been closed in. It is not offically a bedroom registered with the local council (shire office), presumably for rateable values etc. they usually are not that brilliant because the building standards mean that they should be insulated, fire protected, like a proper extension. They are alright for an overnight stay but not for permenant bedrooms. A Donga (odd name hey lol)...is what is used by mine site as one bedroom units (rooms), usually 3 in about 10m long thing, they look like the site huts on a big building site , for their fly in fly out workers. They are not allowed to be used as houses, unless the Shire agrees the plans and they are shaped like houses if you see what I mean, i.e. an H look or something. x

• 4 years later...

Archived