swapping uk driving license for australian license!

Guest waliam

I doubt it to be honest. Get a new one in the UK. How did you let it go for so long, do you not drive?

I now live in Canada....they don't tend to like people using a UK drivers license over here...they much prefer Canadian ones ;) Now that I'm technically not a UK resident I'm unable to renew my UK photocard.

You only have one licence, the paper "version" is just the counterpart on which they can record endorsements etc. It's not a duplicate or alternative licence

Yes this is what I meant, I'll have to dig out the counterpart to see if that has an expiry on it? As far as I understand as long as I have proof of successfully passing the drivers test i should be fine....whether my licence has expired or not (hopefully!).

I now live in Canada....they don't tend to like people using a UK drivers license over here...they much prefer Canadian ones ;) Now that I'm technically not a UK resident I'm unable to renew my UK photocard.

Yes this is what I meant, I'll have to dig out the counterpart to see if that has an expiry on it? As far as I understand as long as I have proof of successfully passing the drivers test i should be fine....whether my licence has expired or not (hopefully!).

UK license is generally valid until you turn 70 irrespective of your age at the time of passing the exam. Is that not he case with your license?

UK license is generally valid until you turn 70 irrespective of your age at the time of passing the exam. Is that not he case with your license?

Not so, photocard licences have to be renewed every 10 years (because appearances change). Most people have phtocard licences these days....even most of those who don't should have (lots of people don't inform DVLA when they change address as they ought to)

Loads of people don't know this though. If you've got a photo licence, it will have an expiry date. Best check it!

Hi everyone

Great info here, and I have one further question to add to the mix :)

If my UK photocard licence has expired (back in 2009) will that still be acceptable proof when requesting an Australian licence?

I think I still have the paper version that came with the card, but I'm not sure if that has an expiry date or not.

Cheers!

Your UK licence is irrelevent. If you're moving from Canada, your current Canadian licence should be fine.

Your UK licence is irrelevent. If you're moving from Canada, your current Canadian licence should be fine.

I had made the assumption (maybe wrongly so) that it helped to have a licence showing I passed my test driving on the same side as they drive in Australia....where as Canada is the opposite side of the road. When I moved to Canada I had to retake my drivers...so not everything is as straight-forward as that :)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

I'm new to Oz (Queensland) & am here on a 457 Long-term Working Visa. I hold a current full UK Driving Licence & I see from the previous comments/responces that I shouldn't need to transfer it to an Aussie one while I'm still on that Visa (which is great).

However, I'm thinking of buying a car here (currently renting, which is expensive) & I'm not sure whether I can register any car I buy, with a UK Driving Licence. Does anyone here know whether I can register ownership of a car here, on a UK licence, or whether I must change it to an Aussie licence to do so?

Thanks in advance,

Brian.

My partner wants to get one just to make life easier, we have to keep carrying about our rental agreement, visa, passports etc., which is a pain, it's costing him $50 - we are in VIC, he's to take along his UK licence, passport, utility bill and he's to get an eye test.

In NSW on a 457 you can change once you've been here for 6 months but you don't 'have' to

Interesting people quoting cost for 5 year licence as from what I've read on NSW website it seems to read as though if you get one while here as a temporary resident you need to renew it every year

"From 18 April 2008, all new NSW licence applicants identified as temporary overseas visitors will be subject to the following licensing rules:

• As a temporary overseas visitor, you will only be eligible to apply for a NSW licence once you have been in Australia for a continuous period of at least six months immediately prior to licence application.

Note: You must declare your last date of arrival in Australia on the licence application form.

• Licences will be marked with the one letter code ‘Q’ in the conditions area on the front of the licence, with the accompanying text ‘Evidence of permanent resident status not provided to Roads and Maritime Services (replacing Roads and Traffic Authority)’ appearing on the back of the licence, and

• Licences (including Learner, P1, P2, and unrestricted) issued with a ‘Q’ will only be valid for 12 months"

This is why I've not bothered doing mine yet although I did pay $40 something to get a NSW ID card when we were fairly new as this has photo, address & ID on it and handy to carry around as well as my UK licence.

My partner wants to get one just to make life easier, we have to keep carrying about our rental agreement, visa, passports etc., which is a pain, it's costing him $50 - we are in VIC, he's to take along his UK licence, passport, utility bill and he's to get an eye test.

Changed our licences in VIC a few months back. Not difficult, you can do it at any VIC Roads office but you need to make an appointment in advance (our next available appointment was 3 weeks later but obviously it will vary by office and time of year). You have a choice of a 3 year or a 10 year licence. The 3 year is cheaper but the 10 year will save money if you're going to need a VIC licence that long (especially so as when you come to renew your 3 year licence the price will have gone up more than once).

The eye test is a joke. Based purely on reading a board (with or without your glasses) with no attempt to measure peripheral vision. They supposedly test each eye separately but as it's on display all the time and they don't change the chart someone blind in one eye would only have to remember what it said! Come to think about it I think Al Pacino played a blind man passing the same sort of eye test in a movie once.

You don't need a QLD licence to register a car. Also I have found that UK licences are widely accepted here (brisbane), so I've never had to carry around passports etc.

While you don't need a QLD licence to register a car, without one you will need to nominate someone who does have a QLD licence as a nominated keeper/or driver (Not sure of the term).

That's so the local plod have someone with a QLD licence that is identified that they can send the camera fines to!.

Archived