Guest Mikekat

Moving to Brisbane - welsh educated - need help!!!!!

Guest Mikekat

We are moving to Brisbane and are worried as our son, who is 13, is currently educated in the Welsh Medium.

Has anyone had children educated in Welsh - settled in Australia - and what support did they have and what problems did they experience.

Any advice is so appreciated.

Hi sorry I can't answer your question about OZ but if it is any help we went on Holiday to Bulgaria recently and met a family who spoke English as the second language. The wife didnt speak English at all anyway to cut along story short they were moving to Bulgaria and whilst on the pool one day their son who was 5 was teaching my son who was 5 also how to speak Bulgarian! I laughed as I thought there is that Welsh lad who can speak hardly and English teaching my son who cannot speak any Welsh Bulgarian,

It worked though although any Bulgarian my son picked up had a Welsh accent!:biglaugh:

Sorry the point to this is I bet the children will be absolutly fine and adapt really easily. I think its us adults that find it hard!

Hi Mike , can't help with the Welsh medium education but hope someone can help. We have a 13 year old boy and he is loving life out here. We have a family from Wales staying with us at the moment, maybe (Wendy) can help.

All the best Dale

Quality Short Term Accommodation In Brisbane www.headstarthomestay.com.au

Guest Mikekat

We've currently been told that we're wrecking his education and causing irreversible damage by changing him from Welsh to English education. Have asked school here for support and cannot see what the problem will be, as Kat was also educated in Welsh medium and can assist him - I can't speak a word of Welsh myself - other than 'DIM PELDROED' - no football!!!!

My sister an my nieces live in Prestatyn and the children learn Welsh at school. They effectionalty call us the "English" when we visit, quite funny really considering they sound scouse not Welsh, oops better not let them hear me say that.

As for idiots saying you will ruin your childrens education please ignore them. Children emmigrate to all different places where there first langauge is not spoken and they manage fine, France, Spain, Greece children adapt and people can be jeolous and say some horrible things.

My daughter is 14 and some have said the same to me, but life experiences do count as education too!

And I bet the OZ kids will love the accent! Remember they had Indians and Chinese etc emigrating there too!

Best of luck and try not to let the negativity drag you down. You know your kids best!:yes: