Import Car to Oz?

Guest stuart & kerry

The onus is one you to prove that YOU have owned and used the car for at least 12 months, you must provide insurance documents and registration in your name . There really is no way around it. The V5 should have your name and address on it ? Being in the family name will not be sufficient I'm afraid, they are extremely anal about these things over here.

I'll have a look in to what i can do, If i have to provide insurance etc could I not just transfer my private plate from my identical higher mileage car to my dads and then show them the reciept of purchase for my vehicle back in 2005 stating that a car of the same spec, colour and reg along with my insurance documents showing that the vehicle has been insured?

They are both identical apart from mines done moon mileage and I don't really think its worth bringing.

I shouldn't really be looking for ways round it but to get another car the same in Aus I would have to pay 30k dollars for a lower spec model,

Maybe I should just forget the whole thing and borrow some cash to get my z4 when I arrive on oz shores :)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest chris955

The one problem you have there is the VIN number, there is no way around that. You could put all the newer stuff on the old car but there is no way you can fool them into thinking one car is another and if you were found out it is major trouble.

The one problem you have there is the VIN number, there is no way around that. You could put all the newer stuff on the old car but there is no way you can fool them into thinking one car is another and if you were found out it is major trouble.

I just thought of the VIN :(

I'll probably have to go down the carnet route and try to register it or just export it after 12 months,

Any ideas on how you would get insurance for a uk plated car in Aus?

Its a lot of trouble but I really like the car and theres not too many with low mileage around now.

Guest chris955

You CAN NOT register a car that has been bought in under a carnet.

At the end of the 12 months you have to export it which would cost another fortune. If you could have bought your Dad's car a year ago you would be fine but honestly there is no way around it.

Hi all...

I will be heading back to Oz in early Jan 2011 after 19 years in the UK and will be taking over both my cars. A Kia Sorrento and a Jaguar XK8. Even when the costs and associated hassle is taken into account I believe it's still worth it given the very poor exchange rate at the moment, the flat market for cars in the UK and the crazy price of second hand cars in Oz.

My query is with regards to LPG converted vehicles. I'm wondering if there are any real silly regulations that may cause me extra headaches. I am guessing that so long as the tank is empty there shouldn't be any probs but you never know!!

Cheers

Spencer

Guest chris955

The only extra issue with the LPG is you will have to get the system tested and certified, apart from that there should be no problems but they do have a habit of making up rules as they go along. I'm jealous of the XK8 :wink:

Hi mate...

That's good to know. The system is all certified so hopefully nobody will add any extra requirements in the meantime.

Re the XK8, I just couldn't imagine leaving it behind....the wife yes.....but the Jag.....no way!! ;-)

Cheers

Spencer

• 4 months later...
Guest dermedicus

I would say you are definitely doing the right thing bringing the Jaguar over, the price of such cars is ridiculous here. Less sure about the value of bringing the Kia over as they can be got relatively inexpensively.

Deeply envious of the Jaguar. Now that I live here, my chances of getting one have plummeted.

• 1 year later...
Guest gtrdreamer

hi sorry i know this is an old post, but do i definately need to supply insurance papers to customs? I have noticed that on their website, it says that you MAY be required to supply these. I thought it would be suffice to show them rego papers (showing i acquired the vehicle more than 12 months ago) and a hand-made receipt (i bought the car second hand). Would this definately not suffice?

The onus is one you to prove that YOU have owned and used the car for at least 12 months, you must provide insurance documents and registration in your name . There really is no way around it. The V5 should have your name and address on it ? Being in the family name will not be sufficient I'm afraid, they are extremely anal about these things over here.

hi sorry i know this is an old post, but do i definately need to supply insurance papers to customs? I have noticed that on their website, it says that you MAY be required to supply these. I thought it would be suffice to show them rego papers (showing i acquired the vehicle more than 12 months ago) and a hand-made receipt (i bought the car second hand). Would this definately not suffice?

I haven't been asked to show any insurance document as it's not on their list of essential documents that must be provided at the start. They do leave the door open though and they may ask for them at some stage but fingers crossed they won't!!

I also provided just my Rego docs and a hand printed receipt for proof of ownership.

My first car is arriving next Monday so am hoping everything goes smoothly!

Cheers

S

• 2 months later...
Sorry for cross posting from this thread, but I know that a lot of people don't follow links...

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota

• Model: Land Cruiser

• Model Type: LC4

• Body Type: 4 Door

• Engine size: 2982cc

• Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2

• Year of Manufacture: 2004

• Mileage: 15,000m

• Condition: Excellent

• What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Hi, thanks for your effort on the guide. I 'm new to the importing scene. But i heard that there are certain Makes of cars and year that you cannot import due to it effecting dealerships esp the later models, yet i am still unclear. For example that i am unable to import Mercedes or Bmw as they have retail dealer ships where i am staying which is Perth.

[*]Make: Mercedes-Benz

[*]Model: Saloon

[*]Model Type: c55

[*]Body Type: 4 Door

[*]Engine size: 5439cc

[*]Transmission: 5 speed Automatic

[*]Year of Manufacture: 2005

[*]Mileage: 75,000m

[*]Condition: Excellent

[*]What you believe the car is worth ? £12,500. Usually £12,900

Guest Guest31881

We have a perminant thread about transporting cars.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-59.html

I do not think there are any restrictions on the type of car, but you must have owned it and used it for a minimum of 12 months. Take a look at the link above and ask on that thread if you have questions,

Hi, thanks for your effort on the guide. I 'm new to the importing scene. But i heard that there are certain Makes of cars and year that you cannot import due to it effecting dealerships esp the later models, yet i am still unclear. For example that i am unable to import Mercedes or Bmw as they have retail dealer ships where i am staying which is Perth.

[*]Make: Mercedes-Benz

[*]Model: Saloon

[*]Model Type: c55

[*]Body Type: 4 Door

[*]Engine size: 5439cc

[*]Transmission: 5 speed Automatic

[*]Year of Manufacture: 2005

[*]Mileage: 75,000m

[*]Condition: Excellent

[*]What you believe the car is worth ? £12,500. Usually £12,900

Hiya,

Have not read all through this thread, so apologies, but my ears pricked up when you said you are wanting to ship a c55.

We are bringing our C55 with us in March.

Donna x

Hiya,

Have not read all through this thread, so apologies, but my ears pricked up when you said you are wanting to ship a c55.

We are bringing our C55 with us in March.

Donna x

Nice! love the c55's! even the c32's =).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest youngscot
Sorry for cross posting from this thread, but I know that a lot of people don't follow links...

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota

• Model: Land Cruiser

• Model Type: LC4

• Body Type: 4 Door

• Engine size: 2982cc

• Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2

• Year of Manufacture: 2004

• Mileage: 15,000m

• Condition: Excellent

• What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Hi there

I am thinking of bringing over my car from Scotland as I have just had it valued at £10, 000 which was a bit dissappointing. I have been told it is worth roughly $25, 000 in oz

Make - Audi

Model S3

Body type - Hatchback

Engine size - 1984 cc

Transmission - Manual 6 speed/ quattro

Year - Feb 2007

Mileage - 68,000 klm

Condition - Very good

Hope you can help

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest Donnie9174

Hi, i am looking to move to perth in next couple of months and would like to take my car with me,where do i begin with shipping car??????????

Hi,

Just about to immigrate to Perth WA as part of a job opportunity, but we are not sure what to do with our car.

Ideally we would sell in the UK (car currently up for sale) but the market is dead. So we are trying to weigh up how much it would cost to import to Oz to remove this uncertain factor of selling/not selling, and also opposed to how much we stand to lose in UK by dropping to a silly price. It is import duties and taxes we are interested in, we already have a price to ship over of £2200 which we would be happy to pay if import costs can be acceptable.

Is it allowed to import cars - have been on the site to look but am a little confused as they only really refer to collectibles or vintage cars?

If it is allowed, does anyone have any general rules for approx percentage of car value the import costs would be?

15% based on its Australian Valuation, try info@redbook.com.au it isn´t the real price, but expect to pay 15% approx of that as GST and customs duties. The word on the wire is that cars are expensive in Oz, so it may be an idea to take it. You must have owned it for at least 12 months. It needs to be drained of fuel, oil, and airconditioning fluids, which is a real PITA, however, if you take it to your local garage first, then get your transporter people to pick it up from there it should be possible. The price seems reasonable. The Aussies may insist on steam cleaning it and stuff, just sit back, relax, and get your wallet out, I am afraid they are a bit hot on fees and charges. Hope this is of help.

Just to clarify The Fisheys PITA points above.

Fuel in vehicle - this is a shipping thing (not customes) & most shippers simply ask for the car to have less than 1/4 tank.

Dont drain the oil!!!. The car will be driven off out of the container/or RORO ship & no oil in the engine will not do it any favours. If your shippers asks for this - find another shipper.

Air conditioning. Generally does not need to be drained. There is an exemption to requiring a PCE (Pre Charged Equipment) licience when importing a car under the PIS. details here : http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/ozone/licences/vehicle-import.html

The only time you will need to drain the Air Con is if the refrigerant is of the type that harm the ozone (contain CFC's). Most cars have had CFC free aircon for many years. Just check with the manufacture. Our 8 year old car sailed through with no problem.

Hope this helps.

• 6 months later...

BIgApe - any chance you could give me a better idea on customs charges once I bring my car / if I take my car to Melbourne?

• Make : Porsche
  • Model : Cayenne
  • Model Type ; 3.2 V6
  • Body Type : 4x4
  • Engine size : 3.2 V6
  • Transmission : Manual
  • Year of Manufacture : 2005
  • Mileage : 68K
  • Condition : Good
  • What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? : £10,500
  • Thanks

BIgApe - any chance you could give me a better idea on customs charges once I bring my car / if I take my car to Melbourne?

• Make : Porsche

• Model : Cayenne

• Model Type ; 3.2 V6

• Body Type : 4x4

• Engine size : 3.2 V6

• Transmission : Manual

• Year of Manufacture : 2005

• Mileage : 68K

• Condition : Good

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? : £10,500

• Thanks

This is an old thread. We have an active thread about shipping your car to Aus which can be found here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know-59.html

And also this one

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

Please post in those. I'll lock this thread now :)

Archived