Import Car to Oz?

Guest stuart & kerry

Guest popcorn73
Perhaps I can answer some of your questions

• If you do not have the small loop anchor points on the rear shelf or back of rear seats then they will require you to have them fitted. They are part of the ADR and law in Australia. Even if they don't mention it in an engineering test (which some haven't) you will still be breaking the law driving the car without them. I have been told several times that some states don't require the equivalent of a VASS (in Vic) engineering test, this may be true but your vehicle must still comply with the Australian Design Rules (ADR) and you're in breach of the law driving a car which doesn't. Even if they don't require you to have the test. This may mean that in the event of a serious accident your insurer may be able to invalidate your policy. Just a warning.

Al

We have a FREELANDER 1.8 GS 2002 model petrol and I apologise for sounding thick but there are some loops of a kind on our rear seats - is this what you are referring to?

We're using Pickfords for our relocation and would love to take our car with us.

Is there a step by step section on this forum that tells one what to do? Hopefully Pickfords will point us in the right direction, but any info would be great.

Thanks

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Dave and Inga

Hi,

We have been looking to ship bmw conv 1 series to brisbane,but the cost is over £4k inc taxes and import duty,not really worth it ,also the roll on on off ships not hte the best as many people drive them and you cannot claim for small dents/scrathes,SELL and get a yute !

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Guest johnnybgood

We are in the process of organising our move at the moment and we are shipping our car too, from Ireland to Melbourne.

You first need to apply for a permit to import the vehicles from DOTARS. Do this immediately!! This can take on average 8 weeks to get.

See this link for all the info you need...

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_08.pdf

You will need to provide colour copies of your driving licence, insurance certificates (every year is possible), shipping quotations, sales purchase invoice/evidence of purchase, official registration of vehicle, confirmation of opening of a bank account (westpac provide a service which enables you to open an account before arriving in the country), a letter confirming ANY and ALL absences from your country of residence in the last 12 months, letter from an employer in oz. The permit costs 50 AUD. You can call the relevant office - see below with queries...I found them very helpful...there are variations on the requirements depending on your visa etc

Address for application and enquiries

The Administrator of Vehicle Standards:

Vehicle Safety Standards

GPO Box 594

Canberra ACT 2601

Phone: 1800 815 272 if calling within Australia

Phone: 61 26274 7444 outside Australia

Fax: (02) 6274 6013

Email: vimports@infrastructure.gov.au

You will need to get a oz market valuation (aka as Landed Value) for the vehicle carried out by an approved valuer. This is then used by customs to calculate the GST and duty. We were going to use a guy called David Nelson but he has taken sick and cannot help at the moment.

In general you pay 10% duty on the customs value. The customs value will be calculated as follows:

Customs Value = Land Value (Provided by approved valuer - see www.redbook.com.au for a rough guide) less the total cost of shipping and registration in oz. This can be as low as 50% of the Landed Value.

The GST is then 10% of the Customs value+Shipping+Duty.

There are other costs associated with customs, AQIS and registration and I think someone posted a spreadsheet to help you calculate this. If not let me know and I will send you a copy.

You need to have the vehicle steam cleaned (undercarriage and engine) before shipping, and be aware that customs may decide to do it again in oz and charge you for it.

The fuel tank must also be almost empty before shipping.

In terms of compliance you need to insure:

1. You have a child seat anchor point in the back

2. The speedo is also in kmph

3. You need to check the air conditioning requirements - this varies...

We are shipping with Pickfords through my employer. We are sending some personal belongings and the car in a 20ft container. It takes between 8-12 weeks to get there. They advised that it would be at sea for a min 8 weeks.

All the best!

Guest johnnybgood
Hi,

I've had my car for 14 months and recently arrived in Perth WA with a working holiday visa. I'm currently working for a company that is willing to sponsor me after my 6 weeks probation. This will give me a 457 Visa. Can you please give me an idea of the total cost for importing my car to Perth from the UK, and an idea of the street value of my car once in Australia?

Thanks

Make :- Audi

Model :- TT

Model Type :- 225

Body Type :- 4x4

Engine size :- 1.8T

Transmission :- Manual

Year of Manufacture :- 2003

Mileage :- 46,000 miles

Condition :- Excellent

What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? :- 9500 pounds

Please note that if you are on a 457 visa you are not automatically entitled to import a vehicle. These applications are only reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

You will need to provide additional supporting information. We were advised to provide 2 shipping quotes, proof of a bank account, and if possible an address in oz.

My advise is to call and check with them

Address for application and enquiries

The Administrator of Vehicle Standards:

Vehicle Safety Standards

GPO Box 594

Canberra ACT 2601

Phone: 1800 815 272 if calling within Australia

Phone: 61 26274 7444 outside Australia

Fax: (02) 6274 6013

Email: vimports@infrastructure.gov.au

Guest johnnybgood
Hi Al

We have a ford puma coupe 1.7, 2001. 3door in excellent condition. with about 60.000 on the clock. we paid almost £4000 only 5 months ago and we would really like to keep it. would really appreciate some info on whether it is worth shipping out or not.

many thanks

lynne

If you only owned it for 5 months then I think you can't import it. You need to have owned it for a min 12 months.

Guest johnnybgood
hi there can you work out vw golf 2000 x reg 1.8 manual 49000 miles 3 door.i value it at £3750 .its my pride nand joy and from what i can see would cost a fortune to replace like for like.

thanks a lot david rae

Importing a Car to Australia | Moving to Melbourne#

You can download a spreadsheet from the above link...

The customs value will be the oz market value less shipping and registration costs. use www.redbook.com.au to get a oz market value for the car.

Make Landrover

Model Discovery 2

Model Type XS

Body Type 4 Door

Engine size 4000cc

Transmission Auto 4x4

Year of Manufacture 2000

Mileage 100000

Condition Average

What you believe the car is worth in the UK ? £3000

I have had a quote to ship this for £1100 and i can put some of me personal stuff inside as long as its boxed, labled and supplyed with shipping list saving me about £800 in shipping.I know i can buy these in ozz but i have spent a small fortune reapiring it over years with gearboxes, engines ect , and if i but another ill have to start all over again. I would be greatfull if you could work out the aprox cost when i get to ozz for fees due.

steve

• 2 weeks later...

Question. I have an X Reg PT Cruiser - now only worth about £2500 if we were to sell. On the Redbook website it gives two prices - private price guide is AUS $10,600 - $12,600, but the final price guide says $41,700*. (!!!) Which one do they use as its land value?

:confused:

Guest Guest31881
This is probably a stupid question, but can you take your vehicle if its still financed?

Do not think you can, as the car still belongs to the finance company until you pay for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks - does anyone know if it's true that you can't import a left hand drive car ? Or if you do it needs to be converted to RHD.

I have a classic E30 M3 Convertible which is a LHD and I love to bits and want to take to Sydney early next year but not sure I can afford. Especially if I need a conversion.

Any help / comments much appreciated

G:chatterbox:

Guest beh1972
Hi folks - does anyone know if it's true that you can't import a left hand drive car ? Or if you do it needs to be converted to RHD.

I have a classic E30 M3 Convertible which is a LHD and I love to bits and want to take to Sydney early next year but not sure I can afford. Especially if I need a conversion.

Any help / comments much appreciated

G:chatterbox:

Looks like it is a case by case assessment. You see LHD cars here, but they are of the 'rare' type - ones that are only built in LHD (US types), or really old 30-40+ years.

As E30 convertible BMW's (1992'ish?) were sold here, I don't like your chances (even for a M3).

You can only ask and see

"Vehicles for use on public roads in Australia are usually required to be Right Hand Drive (RHD). Contact your local State or Territory Registration Authority for information on acceptance of Left Hand Drive (LHD) vehicles" - http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/pdf/VSB10_08.pdf

Guest itskaren
Hi,

Just about to immigrate to Perth WA as part of a job opportunity, but we are not sure what to do with our car.

Ideally we would sell in the UK (car currently up for sale) but the market is dead. So we are trying to weigh up how much it would cost to import to Oz to remove this uncertain factor of selling/not selling, and also opposed to how much we stand to lose in UK by dropping to a silly price. It is import duties and taxes we are interested in, we already have a price to ship over of £2200 which we would be happy to pay if import costs can be acceptable.

Is it allowed to import cars - have been on the site to look but am a little confused as they only really refer to collectibles or vintage cars?

If it is allowed, does anyone have any general rules for approx percentage of car value the import costs would be?

A friend of mine in Melbourne shipped her car over from the UK. She said it was the worst mistake she ever made. It cost a fortune and there was an additional tax that she had to pay in australia that she was unaware of. good luck

• 4 months later...
Guest sallyhere
Sorry for cross posting from this thread, but I know that a lot of people don't follow links...

I have been reading through these couple of threads on Importing your Car and wondered if you had read the article I wrote last year on Importing your Car to Australia. I had major trouble finding reliable and accurate information on the process and how much it would cost, so once I have completed the process I documented it all and wrote down all the costs for a complete On the road to on the road figure. I have even included an Excel chart which you can use to calculate your own.

I should state that these figures are based on the cost last year and are specific to importing to Victoria, however in the hundreds of conversations I have had about this and the countless rough estimates I have helped people knock up it appears that little varies from state to state regarding procedure and cost. The figures are not formal and they are provided only in the hope that they can help people figure this minefield out.

In general the answer is that it's not financially worth bringing your car over. It's a very costly/time consuming process and I can assure you the last thing you want to experience when you move out is more of Australia's famous "red tape". Of all the people I have spoken too only three could have made money (on paper) and even then their cars where classics and they could have made very little. The best you can hope for is the break even and in which case it's simply not worth the hassle.

if you do choose to use the Excel, then please note that as PI (Personal Import - known as a "Yellow Plater" or "Piss Plater" in the trade) your car will be worth less than other used cars of the same age, marque, etc. Also you will find it very hard (read impossible) to trade it in. You would have to sell privately and you should expect to get the lower end of the range for the same car on the private sale market.

Alternatively, if you supply the following information I will have a quick look for you:

• Make

• Model

• Model Type

• Body Type

• Engine size

• Transmission

• Year of Manufacture

• Mileage

• Condition

• What you believe the car is worth in the UK ?

So an example would be:

• Make: Toyota

• Model: Land Cruiser

• Model Type: LC4

• Body Type: 4 Door

• Engine size: 2982cc

• Transmission: Manual 4x4/4x2

• Year of Manufacture: 2004

• Mileage: 15,000m

• Condition: Excellent

• What you believe the car is worth ? £15,000. Usually £21,000 but the market is not good now

Hope this helps

Al

Hi Al

Are you still around...I just wanted to ask. I see alot about Australian customs value etc but what about if you compare it to the cost of buying the same car in australia ?

Guest johnnybgood

I have just finished importing and registering my car. I will post a more detailed version later but costs you will incur include:

Customs will charge a 10% duty on the customs value of the car. You will need an independent valuation which will cost about 450-650 AUD. The customs value is roughly 60% of the cost you paid in your own country converted into AUD.

You will also most definitely have to pay for steam cleaning required by aqis. This can cost as much as 1000 AUD, because your car has to transported to a depot for the cleaning plus admin costs.

Organise your insurance.

You will need an unregistered driving permit from vicroads to drive the car from the depot (for me Pickfords in Dandenong) which was 72 AUD. When I collected the car the battery was completely dead and I had to go and buy one for 150 AUD. I would recommend shipping a spare in the car.

Remember the permit lasts for 28 days and you will need to complete the rest (noted below) before it expires. Don't get it until the day before you collect your car. You can pay for it using credit card over the phone and they will email it you.

Then you get a VASS inspection by a licensed engineer (I used CarTech in Richmond, Victoria - highly recommended). This will cost you 330 AUD. If your time is limited CarTech will complete the remaining steps up to registration for an additional cost.

You then need to get your road worthy cert (RWC) which is about 120 AUD min. This can be done by most garages. Child restraint anchor points need to be fitted as a minimum which is about 500 AUD. My bill was 1000 AUD.

You need to post your paperwork to Nidddrie numberplates to get plates to be attached to your engine. you are better to get the 3 day return post which will set you back 93 AUD (IN TOTAL). The garage can fit the plates for you.

Once you have all this you book your appointment at VicRoads (I recommend getting an 0830 slot or you could be there for hours). They review your paperwork, do a quick inspection and write you a bill for

Appointment fee - 40 AUD

Stamp duty - this is based on 8 AUD per 200 AUD for the australian market value of the car E.G. australian market value = 20000 divide by 200 and multiply by 8.

Road License - depends on your postcode (see vicroads website)

Numberplates - depends if you want them personalised or not (you need to get them fitted - done this myself)

My total bill from VicRoads was 1285 AUD.

There are so many hidden costs and they seem to rise every year by 10-20% so be warned!

I had a real battle with Pickfords over the steam cleaning of the car because when I went to lift it from them it was dirtier than before it was shipped. There is no way it was steam cleaned. I had already paid nearly 1000 before they would release it to me. To their credit I did get 440 back but only after the general manager for Australia got involved. Ask for an itemised bill first!

I only took the car over because my company paid for the container and shipping. I would not recommend doing this if you also have to cover these costs.

If you are going to live in inner Melbourne then I strongly recommend you consider joining a car sharing scheme e.g. Flexicar. We have only needed it once and it has not moved since we got it registered.

DON'T BE FOOLED BY CONVENIENCE. Do your homework and decide if you really need a car first. The average car is used for less than 1 hour per day...that means it sits there doing nothing for 23 hours!

Obviously some people will live in the massive sprawl that is outer melbourne or rural victoria and a car will be essential.

Good luck!

Does anyone know what the situation is if you havent owned the car for more than 12 months? I was planning on buying a car of my dad to bring to Aus which he has had since new 2001 BMW 740i, Pretty much identical to the one I have but with a fraction of the mileage. I've offered him 2k for it and he agreed :) Its registered at my UK home address but in his name, would this pose a problem when trying to export it?

Does anyone know what the situation is if you havent owned the car for more than 12 months? I was planning on buying a car of my dad to bring to Aus which he has had since new 2001 BMW 740i, Pretty much identical to the one I have but with a fraction of the mileage. I've offered him 2k for it and he agreed :) Its registered at my UK home address but in his name, would this pose a problem when trying to export it?

If he hasn't owned the car for 12 months, he wont be able to take it. No way around it i'm afraid.

If he hasn't owned the car for 12 months, he wont be able to take it. No way around it i'm afraid.

He's owned it since new but I was going to take it with me due to the fact its better than the one i currently have, How are you supposed to prove that you've owned the car for 12 months though as the v5 doesn't necessarily indicate ownership?

do you think it would be ok as its in the family name and his initial is the same as mine?

Guest chris955

The onus is one you to prove that YOU have owned and used the car for at least 12 months, you must provide insurance documents and registration in your name . There really is no way around it. The V5 should have your name and address on it ? Being in the family name will not be sufficient I'm afraid, they are extremely anal about these things over here.

Archived