Transferring a 457 visa to different employer

Guest BikerinBrissie

Guest BikerinBrissie

Hi,

I have been living in Brisbane for around 6 months now, here on a 4 year 457 visa - sponsored by my current employer.

In short, I don't want to stay working with this employer, and when my tie-in period ends (if I leave before 12 months I have to pay back all visa costs etc), I want to move elsewhere.

Has anyone done this on a 457? Is it easy to transfer sponsors?

Thanks!

hiya, welcome to pio, you have 28 days to find someone else to sponsor you, if you have not got anyone in that time you will have to leave oz, but can be done, you will have to get a bridging visa while you wait for your new 457 as you cant transfer them, and in that time you can not work, hope this helps a bit?

sheena :wubclub:

• 1 year later...
Guest marchingsaint

You can transfer to another employer on a 457 visa. I am on the same visa and have also been here for 6 months with 3 1/2 years to run. I would check out the DIAC website for info www.immi.gov.au as you don't have to reapply for the visa, the new sponsor simply fills in a form to transfer sponsorship responsibilities to them. It may be better to find another job/sponsor and then serve out your notice with the first employer rather than go to a bridging visa as you can't work on them. I would assume that any secondary applicants can't either but I'm not sure. Hope this helps and good luck, as I said, I'm in the same position and would love to get away from my employer!

Hi ya

I've done exactly this, after a year on a a 457 I got offered a job with another company. They don't take over your 457 you'll have to apply for a new visa but ours only took 4 days to come through once lodged. You'll have to do all the medicals etc again if the last ones were done over a year ago.

Once the new visa is granted though you'll have to stop working for your old employer straight away, which is gonna bugger up your notice period if you aint careful, it did mine

I was lucky, my new company covered all relocation costs my old company wanted back which was the clincher really, couldn't have moved otherwise.

keep us posted i'll be of whatever help I can

• 3 months later...
Guest Janipun

Hi, new to the forum so apologies if I'm repeating information already on another thread. We're just transferring our 457 visa from one company to another (1/2 way through our 4 years) and the rules changed late last year so:

You do not need to apply for another visa if you change employer, just transfer it.

Dept of Immigration 'From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who wish to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa.'

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

• 1 month later...

Hi

Does anyone know the 'rules' for letting immigration know about resigning from a job prior to securing another employer to take over sub class 457 visa? My resignation is effective in next five days (yike) but looks like I will be offered a new job with another employer in next two weeks and fingers crossed they will be able to take over my existing visa, just not clear how much notice have to give to immigration.

I do know I can't work in the 28 day window post resigning

thanks if anyone can help

I also have a question ont his one.

We also have the possiblilty of changing employer - a few months ago my husband was faced with being laid off and we have managed to buy some time since then by him working under a different department within the company - doing the same job and with the OK from immigration.

BUT things are getting quiet again so our search from a new job continued - and we seem to have found an employer willing to take on the sponsorship - however they are ot yet an approved employer to sponsor so to start with they need to apply before nominating us and us transfering over.

Question is how long does this stage for the employer to become an approved employer sponsor ?

Thanks in advance

Guest twinmum66
Hi,

I have been living in Brisbane for around 6 months now, here on a 4 year 457 visa - sponsored by my current employer.

In short, I don't want to stay working with this employer, and when my tie-in period ends (if I leave before 12 months I have to pay back all visa costs etc), I want to move elsewhere.

Has anyone done this on a 457? Is it easy to transfer sponsors?

Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on your thread....Could you tell me what your sponsor paid for, I'm looking at this route and just wanted to know what most of them do.

Thanks

Lin

Hi,

Sorry to jump in on your thread....Could you tell me what your sponsor paid for, I'm looking at this route and just wanted to know what most of them do.

Thanks

Lin

Our sponsor paid for nothing, we paid all visa fee's flights relocation costs etc. some i think do contribute?

• 5 months later...
Guest Janipun

Update: (I have no idea how to edit an old thread so I'm just going to write another post - sorry!)

It turns out that when you transfer your visa, from the day it is transferred, you can no longer legally work for you old employer. But, you don't really want to hand in your notice before it's transferred in case there is a problem or a delay (in which case you end up unemployed for a month or go over your 28 days whilst you are waiting and have to apply for a bridging visa).

So the way my partner dealt with this once he'd been offered the new job was to warn his old employer off-the-record that he would be handing in his notice, then as soon as the transfer went through, he handed in his notice that day and started with the new company the following day. It's far from ideal and takes some tact to still leave the old employer on good terms, but it keeps you within the legal requirements of your visa.

For info: my partner did ask the new company to try not to transfer the visa before a certain date, thinking this would give him time to finish up at the old job and also would give him an idea of when his last day would be - this didn't work, as soon as the visa was ready it was transferred and he just had to leave!

Hope that helps.

Hi, new to the forum so apologies if I'm repeating information already on another thread. We're just transferring our 457 visa from one company to another (1/2 way through our 4 years) and the rules changed late last year so:

You do not need to apply for another visa if you change employer, just transfer it.

Dept of Immigration 'From 14 September 2009, 457 visa holders who wish to change employer or position (within the validity of their current visa) will not be required to apply for a new Subclass 457 visa.'

Temporary Business (Long Stay) - Standard Business Sponsorship (Subclass 457)

Guest taylorvillas

Sorry for jumping in but if you do not use the 457 and find a new employer does this rule apply? My 457 is being processed but my current employer is being difficult about releasing me to transfer to our Melbourne office after saying yes. Can I apply for jobs and say I have an approved 457 that needs to be transferred (once its approved that is)?

Thanks

Guest Janipun
Sorry for jumping in but if you do not use the 457 and find a new employer does this rule apply? My 457 is being processed but my current employer is being difficult about releasing me to transfer to our Melbourne office after saying yes. Can I apply for jobs and say I have an approved 457 that needs to be transferred (once its approved that is)?

Thanks

So are you already in Oz and if so what visa are you working under?

In our experience, you don't need your current employer to agree to transfer your existing visa, the visa is just between you and the immigration dept and you can change the sponsor whenever you like as long as immigration approve it.

As for the new company, I'd be honest with them in case you run into problems having the visa approved, if you can wait for approval you'll be in a better position as they know you're here to stay and it's just a question of sponsoring your existing visa.

If you're having problems you could always get the new employer to apply for a new 457 visa which doesn't seem to take a lot longer than transferring an existing one. Plus it gives you the whole 4 years to work here.

Guest taylorvillas
So are you already in Oz and if so what visa are you working under?

In our experience, you don't need your current employer to agree to transfer your existing visa, the visa is just between you and the immigration dept and you can change the sponsor whenever you like as long as immigration approve it.

As for the new company, I'd be honest with them in case you run into problems having the visa approved, if you can wait for approval you'll be in a better position as they know you're here to stay and it's just a question of sponsoring your existing visa.

If you're having problems you could always get the new employer to apply for a new 457 visa which doesn't seem to take a lot longer than transferring an existing one. Plus it gives you the whole 4 years to work here.

No I am in the UK and as such the 457 has not been used yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The employer sponsorship can be done in a few weeks. There is quite a bit of paperwork to be completed their end but if this is in order the process should be fairly quick.

On the question of transferring a visa, I am not sure you can transfer it once you have worked your notice and left. The old employer should have already notified immigration that you are leaving and the visa terminates once you cease employment. If that is the case, there is no visa for the new employer to take over - you would have to start a new application. If you want the visa to transfer to the new employer I think it has to be arranged before your employment with the 1st employer ceases.

Good luck everyone

Diane

• 3 weeks later...
Guest suganyasek

Hello Diane..thanks

I'm new to this forum

I'm on 457 and changing my employer..and my new employer doesn't have SBS approval and the agent plan to lodge application early next week. could you pl suggest how much time does it take the employer SBS approval?? i was told that both SBS applicaiton and my nomination will be lodged together

tx

Archived